Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
We played a game of Deathmatch (reactor core). It was great fun. We then played a game of capture the flag (green plaza). Again, the mechanics, tactics, and overall play were very fun.

However, no flags were captured before the timer deck ran out. We quit after another 1/2 hour. We played again later, but alas, after 2 hours and the timer deck running out, no one had scored a point. There is no doubt that gameplay is fun, but it is a frustrating stalemate.

We have only played 2 times, so I am asking if other player's are experiencing the same thing.

I thought it was amazing how Doom the boardgame the Expansion CTF plays so closely to CTF from many FPS video games. Overall it is very well done, but there are two problems:

1. After being fragged, a marine respawns anywhere in his base with full health (yes, after missing a turn and resetting back to starting equipment). Usually, when a marine makes it to another player's base, he has taken a bit of a beating. The respawned marine can appear next to him, or respawn on top of a weapon, then unload at the poor intruder.

2. In a video game FPS, the player only sees in the first person perspective. In the boardgame, everything is layed out in front of the players, and it is entirely tactical, so it is much more difficult to steal a flag.

Suggestion:

There is a CTF variant in many video games, named different things in different games, that I think would work very well with Doom the boardgame the Expansion:

1. Pick 3 spaces on the map equally distributed from the bases. To begin, they are neutral.

2. When a marine enters one of these spaces, it is captured and turned to his team's color. It stays that color until the other team enters that space.

3. At the beginning of the turn, the teams gets 1 point (frag marker) for every space that matches their team's color.

4. Play until the deck timer is gone. The winner is the team with the most points at that time.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs v S
Netherlands
Arnhem
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good suggestion. I know this mode of play is called 'domination' in the original Unreal Tournament, and I always preferred it to CtF.

We played Doom DM today, and it seems a tag. We played on the first map (cloverleaf, I think it's called), but the map seems much to big for any serious fragging. Everyone just kept their distance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
What about fraged players skipping 2 or more turns? Would that make it easier?

Good question. It would probably improve the stalemate situation and add a tougher penalty for getting fragged.

We started another CTF game, got about 1/2 through the deck, and called it quits with no flags captured, so I think this is a real problem.

We switched over to the domination rules above. Gameplay was just like CTF, but it felt like progress was being made. The game played quickly. I was 5 points up, and had two of the three spaces well defended when we quit. The question came up about the team bases being worth points. It seems like a player should get points for holding another player's base. Maybe the point spaces should be the team bases and one centralized space, but it worked well the way we played it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4 years later....

damnit. I wish I had of read this before we tried playing a game of Doom CTF last night. Like the OP's games, ours resulted in a stalemate after about 3 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.