1 , 2  Next »   | 

Android: Netrunner» Forums » General

Subject: How to increase replay value? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not interested in doing any deck construction/ building, and was wondering what is the best strategy in how to maximize the replay value for the game?

would the upcoming big box expansion or for that matter any expansion help in this regard?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
the game is way better if you deckbuild... then the replay value goes through the roof.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that big boxes are the best for you. Lucas mentioned in Holis' interview that Creation and Control will have some new deck(list)s. Just ready to grab and go.

You can always change few cards here and there. But this - of course - leads to deckbuilding after a while...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think deckbuilding is hugely important in this game, particularly for the corp. It's vital that your opponent not know what tricks you have up your sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CAT81 wrote:
I am not interested in doing any deck construction/ building, and was wondering what is the best strategy in how to maximize the replay value for the game?

would the upcoming big box expansion or for that matter any expansion help in this regard?

Yeah, if you are not going to deck build I would just add each big box expansion to keep the deck fresh. Also just try building decks with the deck lists that FFG puts out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to deckbuild, but you don't have to design the decks. There are plenty of sample decks around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johncraven wrote:
the game is way better if you deckbuild... then the replay value goes through the roof.

Asmor wrote:
I think deckbuilding is hugely important in this game, particularly for the corp. It's vital that your opponent not know what tricks you have up your sleeve.

I understand that the best way is to deck build, but me and my partner are not interested in putting in that much work into games and then constantly tweaking it to have the perfect deck.

We just like to open a game box and play it as is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bioball wrote:
.... Also just try building decks with the deck lists that FFG puts out.

Spielguy wrote:
You need to deckbuild, but you don't have to design the decks. There are plenty of sample decks around.

This is news to me, and may actually be an option for us. Can you please explain to me what these deck lists/ sample decks are, and where I can find out about them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Day
United Kingdom
Lee
LONDON
flag msg tools
Oi!
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just browse these forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Mair
United States
Roy
Utah
flag msg tools
The Meeple Nation Boardgame Podcast - 30 minutes a week!
badge
BGGCon 2015 or Bust
mbmbmbmbmb
CAT81 wrote:
This is news to me, and may actually be an option for us. Can you please explain to me what these deck lists/ sample decks are, and where I can find out about them?

I don't look at other people's decks. I like the process of losing and learning with what I build.

This is a good place to start:
http://www.cardgamedb.com/index.php/netrunner/android-netrun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or go to cardgamedb.com and select "Submitted Decks" from the Netrunner drop-down menu.

EDIT: ninjad by Spielguy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gunkel
msg tools
mb
Whenever FFG release a data pack there´s a news item on their website. Usually this includes a deck list making use of some of the new cards.

I think the other thing mentioned are decklists found here. The strategy section has a lot of decks with annotations on how they play. That being said, using an online deckbuilder like the cggames one makes building a deck easy - you can search cards, have some relevant stats (how many agenda points, what types of ICE, how much influence) showing up on screen. I think you can build one in 5 minutes or so (of course people who play competitively tweak such decks endlessly, playing a lot of games and adjusting).

So I would consider giving it a shot, just replacing a card or two at a time and soon enough you´ve got a couple of decks in your head, which you then can modify as new cards are added.Compared to actually playing the games deckbuilding doesn´t take a lot of time that way and every new deck is quite a few games before you grow tired of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TK Number 3
Canada
Edmonton
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is a great resource. Currently it includes expansion cards, but there is work in progress to do a core set only list, so you could use that.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/156783/the-netrunner-t...

You can also try swapping in a few individual cards, not a full deckbuild. Maybe take 4 ice out and put 4 different ice in, don't worry too much about influence limits and the like, just keep your deck size the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Ødegård
Norway
Høvik
Akershus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use what you have as a cube, draft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lluluien
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CAT81 wrote:
bioball wrote:
.... Also just try building decks with the deck lists that FFG puts out.

Spielguy wrote:

Here's an example of what he's talking about. Here's the thread on my NBN deck:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/954754/deck-unveiling-nbn-ne...

Here's a thread from an exceptionally talented Criminal on his tournament-winning Runner deck:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/966226/so-cal-regionals-1st-...

You'll find all kinds of decks on these forums, many of them with pretty intricate descriptions of their strategies (which you can feel free to read or not!), if you just go browse through the strategy forums.

Not only can you get by not doing your own deckbuilding in games like this, it's very common for people to do just that. So common that we even have a name for it - it's called "netdecking". Don't let the fact that you don't want to deckbuild stop you from enjoying actually playing a variety of decks. If people didn't want you to consider using their deck lists and deckbuilding ideas, they wouldn't post them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deck construction is half the game. I can't imagine playing it without that feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
I would honestly recommend just playing another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Garrett
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
The Ball is round, the game lasts 90 minutes. Everything else is....
mbmbmbmb
Best troll ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CAT81 wrote:

The upcoming big box expansion just has more cards than an individual Genesis Cycle expansion.

Which is to say that you will be buying more cards for the purpose of deck building.

Not wanting to deck construct is mutually exclusive from wanting to 'increase replay value'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
It's like Spring without Summer..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James 3
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CAT81 wrote:

I understand that the best way is to deck build, but me and my partner are not interested in putting in that much work into games and then constantly tweaking it to have the perfect deck.

We just like to open a game box and play it as is.

honestly? if you dont want to put any effort into deckbuilding, this isnt the game for you longterm once you tire of core set deck lists. the core set experience is fun, but deckbuilding is how you extend replay, and as mentioned, the replay factor is huge if you do so.

if you are unwilling to deckbuild, asking for ways to improve replay value seem extremely narrow minded to me.

so..you like the game? have you ONLY played single faction decks by mixing all neutrals and nothing else? if you like the game...dig in more. its worth it. or move on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brattin
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CAT81 wrote:

-snip-

me and my partner are not interested in putting in that much work into games and then constantly tweaking it to have the perfect deck.

As I understand it, it's not so much about trying to make the perfect deck--deckbuilding is important because (at least as the corporation) you don't want your opponent to know what you're playing. Data raven becomes a lot better when you could be bluffing Scorched Earth, for example.

If you're only playing single-faction decks, and the runner knows the list ahead of time, I think the game becomes much less balanced.

But yeah, there's nothing wrong with copying other people's lists. There's a list of tournament-winning lists here: http://stimhack.com/tournament-decklists/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gabel
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Secretly John Masanori
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so you don't want to deck build, but I also don't think you should listen to those people who say to go play another game. They are pessimists. Netrunner is awesome, and I want you to enjoy it your way!

So how about something like this:
1. You and your partner play with the pre-built starter decks.
2. After the game, if you want to play another game, you each have the option of choosing and replacing one card from your deck (Read, one playset) with any other card from the game, keeping in mind the influence and normal deck building rules.
3. Reveal the card you choose and read the rules text to your partner.
4. Play the game.
5. Repeat.

This should allow you to change up your decks without it being overwhelming. Over time your decks could get very different from the base decks, but you will still feel comfortable playing them. Obviously this sort of system could be modified any way you want. The options are endless. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CAT81 wrote:

The game just does not work over the long term if the Runner knows exactly what's in the Corp deck. You cannot increase replay value without deck building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawcomic
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
The stuff that dreams are made of...
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is somewhat frustrating for the casual player who doesn't want to really get deeply into deck building.

Deck building here requires some more work than other CCG/LCGs do, and for the casual player, that can be a downside.

The construction restrictions do raise the difficulty bar in a way that some other games don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.