Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

================= Warning below is a rant read at your own risk ====================

Its Sunday evening the players are My wife, Brother-in-law, his GF, and myself ninja and game is reef encounter. Okay so here we are just getting into a game that I have only played twice before. So for sanity sake I have use the old "I will be referring to the rules because I am not 100% on them." disclaimer which everyone is accepts. Its about the middle of the game and I need the obligatory mid-game bathroom run. I get back and the GF is gone. and its her turn. so I figure okay she is following my lead. 5 minutes later and she is still missing. Okay maybe she is pushing a large ship out to sea. another 5 minutes and she is still missing so I ask. To which the reply is I don't know so the B-I-L hollers for her and she come bouncing out of her office babbling about email. okay I'll let this slide. she does her turn then gets up and walks off back to her office again. this continues for the rest of the game at least another 5 turns. And every time we have to explain to her what happened since her last turn (I did not tell her anything about the moves she missed)

But wait there's more

I just locked down the last coral tile and something is nagging me about this. Considering I am still shaky on the rules I figure I gotta look this up. Low and behold there it is condition 1 for ending the game all coral tiles are locked which I immdeiately make this generally knowledge. Not a second later the GF belows from her office "WHAT?!??! WHAT JUST HAPPENED?" she come running out of her office to the play table an here is the dialog:

GF: What just happened the game is over?
ME: I just locked the last coral tile and well according to the rules that is one of the 4 ending conditions. I forgot about that one sorry if you want I will take that move back.
GF: No you should have read the rules better.
ME: what?!?!? sorry I should have what???
GF: Well obviously you did not read the rules that well or you would have remember that rule.
ME: (emitting some gurgling noise with a blank stare)zombie
GF: I even asked you what how to win the game.
ME: I am sorry I read the rules several times and a few summaries of the rules if you would like I will gladly hand you the rules to read.
GF: No that's okay you read them but you should have read them better.
ME: (starting to read the rules for winning out loud) The game ends immediately when one of the following events occur:
1. When all the coral tiles are.... (she walks out of the room) angry
B-I-L: okay so we each get one last turn but Kleet
Wife: darn I was just getting into it

at this point the wife and B-I-L are okay they understand no one is 100% on the rules and we continue on it get to the GF's final turn and she is still no where to be found

B-I-L: well she is not here so lets just remove her best scoring group and give her that.
Me: Screw that she is not at the table to decide, she does not get a last turn.
Wife: (agreeing with her brother) yea lets choose for her, what is the best move for her?
Me: Forget her if she is not willing enough to be here to play the game herself then she gets nothing.
GF: (returning) You really should have read the rules better. Remember I even asked you how do you win the game. SO what are the rules for wining.
Me: Remember I told you I was not 100% on the rules and that this sort of thing might happen.
GF: okay so were the winning conditions again?
Me: (reading again) The game ends immediately when one of the following events occur:
1. When all the coral tiles are covered by alga...... (she walks out of the damn room again) angryangry

we start adding up the points and she walks back in and make and announcement

GF: Well this was just a practice game so lets add up our points
Me: Practice?? what are we paid professional players now?
GF: (blank stare) Any way lets just see how this practice game went
Me: sorry I asked at the start did anyone want to play a practice round, this was not practice. This was the first run stumble play of a game not a practice.
GF: Well we'll just pretend it was practice anyway.

For all of you out there her getting up and leaving in the middle of a game is one of my hot buttons. I have no problem if you mention at the start of a game hey I am going to need to do something else a little later and it might interfere with the game so maybe I shouldn't play. That I would have accepted. But her getting up in the middle of the game and walking off and making us wait was too much. if you need to do something else then go do it and stop wasting my time waiting for you. Nothing breaks up a game rhythm then having to wait for someone that is to inconsiderate to stay at the table while everyone else makes a move

Moral #1 : Make the fricking GF read the rules next time angry
Moral #2 : Tell the GF either play the game or don't so we can actually keep the rhythm of the game going.

Whew sorry about this one guys but I knew you would all understand my pain and frustration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kice
United States
Shorewood
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only excuse to keep leaving and coming back to the table is if you're playing 20 games of chess at the same time. Otherwise, only group approved potty and snack breaks are allowed.

That is just so freakin' rude. Chances are, you actually did cover the rule but she didn't hear it because her mind was somewhere other than the game.

In the immortal words of Dogbert: BAH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pretty sure it’s the flu
United States
Allen Park
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
Have you joined the 2017 Secret Cthanta yet?
badge
kleet wrote:

GF: Well this was just a practice game so lets add up our points
Me: Practice?? what are we paid professional players now?
GF: (blank stare) Any way lets just see how this practice game went
Me: sorry I asked at the start did anyone want to play a practice round, this was not practice. This was the first run stumble play of a game not a practice.
GF: Well we'll just pretend it was practice anyway.

Okay so for most of this I'm right with you except for this part. Does it really matter if you call it "practice" or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Me: (reading again) The game ends immediately when one of the following events occur:
1. When all the coral tiles are covered by alga...... (she walks out of the damn room again)

To be fair, you never did answer her question. She was asking about the winning conditions and you kept telling her the game end conditions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If only deuls were legal again.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
kleet wrote:

Moral #1 : Make the fricking GF read the rules next time angry
Moral #2 : Tell the GF either play the game or don't so we can actually keep the rhythm of the game going.

Moral#3: Don't play games with significant others. I live by this rule, and it's working great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nekura wrote:
The only excuse to keep leaving and coming back to the table is if you're playing 20 games of chess at the same time. Otherwise, only group approved potty and snack breaks are allowed.

I'm not asking anyone permission to go to the bathroom. I'll excuse myself from the table, but I don't need a hall pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Presumably the winning conditions are linked to the game end conditions?

(I don't actually have Reef Encounter, but it would be a funny game if this wasn't the case!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, when I get up, I'm pretty much in the same room, so I usually don't need an update when I get back. I do agree that if you are going to be away for an extended time, you need to give up your spot and come back when you are ready to play again.

As for chastising him for not knowing the rules, I think she was out of line. When learning a game, mistakes will be made, and you just need to take it as a learning esperience, rather than a competitive one.

BTW, I don't know how she could have gotten into the game, if she was off doing something else...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
Quote:
1. When all the coral tiles are covered by alga...... (she walks out of the damn room again)

To be fair, you never did answer her question. She was asking about the winning conditions and you kept telling her the game end conditions.

True but I knew she wanted to know why the game had ended with out anyone saying I win. And I would have gotten there if she had waited about a minute or two for me to get to the add up the points and the most points wins. But no she kept running out too fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has gotten mad at me for lying to her about the rules or not telling her all of them. While I don't remember leaving anything out she has made the decision that she is going to read the rules herself before we ever play a new game. Hallelujah! I hate teaching people how to play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jody O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
___OO\\ ...::::..:.:.
mb
Most people don't realize the work involved in teaching a new game.

You have a right to be angry. You did your best(right?) to teach a game to new people, and had to deal with one disinterested person who seemingly didn't respect your workload.

The problem is you have to tread lightly, or she won't play anything ever again

That being said, as it being a first game for the majority, it probably doesn't matter if it's considered practice or not.
I would doubt anyone playing had a master strategy for most of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kleet wrote:

This was the first run stumble play of a game not a practice.

I'm interesting in knowing the difference between a practice game and a "first run stumble play of a game"

Regardless, I would never invite GF to sit down for another game. How WUUDE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
After the second time she got up I would have taken her pieces off the table and told her to stay on the PC chatting up that dude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't have argued with her.

When I haven't played a game enough to know the rules well, I say "This is just a learning game". Then if someone says that I didn't tell a rule earlier, I remind them, "This is the learning game where I tell all the rules as we play. The next one will be a 'real game' where we play a game knowing the rules."

Then if they still don't get it, I can launch into a spiel:

"Good rules sets are written meticulously enough to cover so many possibilities that reading the rules aloud completely would bore almost any player, but that is the only way to really cover everything in the rules. So, short of having everyone read the rules before playing, we have to play these learning games."

Leaving the table often is a bit annoying, but so is analysis paralysis. I bet she didn't take as much time coming back and moving than many do who stay at the table and ponder more than is polite. In either case, patience would solve the problem...but I prefer a good timer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May I ask how long the game took?

I think leaving the table is OK (although it is a rude waying of objecting) if it took a few hours because of serious Analysis Paralysis issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There comes a point in a man's life when he has to ask what is more important?

Games or Adult Cuddles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When teaching rules--and I've made a consciencious effort to master this art--I invariably miss a detail or two, esp. if the game is new. Normally, those details come to mind well before they matter, but not always. If I raise a rule that is different than what I covered (or how we've been conducting play as a group), we normally play out the game with everyone's initial understanding.

Even so, there will be cases where players being innundated with rules miss something that was said. This is one reason why I have learned to be very repetitive esp. about the most essential points--like victory conditions and game end conditions. Plus this extra repetition makes it more likely that someone else will be able to back you when you indicate that you did indeed cover a certain rule.

This is one reason everyone should come with a different attitude when playing a relatively new game.

http://boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com/2006/01/first-play-attitu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
anoni mouse
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wtrollkin2000 wrote:
May I ask how long the game took?

I think leaving the table is OK (although it is a rude waying of objecting) if it took a few hours because of serious Analysis Paralysis issues.

The game too about an hour and a half to two hours the Rules say the game should take about 90 minutes. there was very little AP going on most turns were done with a fairly quickly. Mostly it was my Brother-In-Law that took most the time. Mind you I am not including the 2 full rounds that I insisted we run through for practice.

As for the Teaching game I went through each piece of the game fairly well. Or at least I thought I did. I even went as far as to stop and ask if they had any questions. Another teaching trick I have used that goes over very well is to get them to explain the function of a part to me. if they can do that then I know they have an idea of how that part works. THE GF was able to tell me how everything worked np. I had the rule book sitting right out and I even tell the others at any time do not hesitate to ask or pick up this book and look up and/or read any the rules. I have never once ridiculed, chided, or belittled anyone for looking at a rule and saying are you sure you are reading that right. When that happens I will stop hear what they have to say and their explanation. And if what they say make more sense then the way I understood it then well I thank them for correcting my error and we continue on with the rule that way.

FYI I did not win the game I cam in third behind my wife (by 2 points )and My Brother-In-Law

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa
Australia
Parkville
Vic
flag msg tools
admin
designer
May you find the Perfect Shoe! xxx
badge
Mostly offline, but trying.
mbmbmbmbmb
nnf1 wrote:
There comes a point in a man's life when he has to ask what is more important?

Games or Adult Cuddles?

Please don't ask Fraser that question, Neil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bernhardt
United States
saratoga springs
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like lighter, fluffy games are needed with this group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Bah! The woman obviously doesn't really want to play games. Her behavior screams, "I'm just being like this so next time you'll think twice about games." Selfish and rude. Frankly it sounds like she may have some other issues as well. I'd suggest avoiding gaming with this person, if possible. More traditional social activities that she can't interrupt may be in order, such as movies, dinner, etc.

nuclear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.