Subject: Love the geekpennies...how to extend rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The geekpennies from moderating image submissions are great. Congratulations Aldie!

Now for my suggestions: Obviously, extend this to reviews & session reports. Wait until more moderation is done, it's often hard to get an image before the horde of other moderators approve or reject it.

Next up, it seems there is less need to allow geekgold through "traditional" means. So maybe only give out gold for an upload if the game "needs" more of these?

For example, 1 for each of the first 20 pics. After that, sorry, no gold for you.

1 for each of the first 50 session reports. After that, sorry, no gold for you.

3 for each of the first 10 reviews. After that, sorry, no gold for you.

I'm just making these numbers up, but the goal is that this will keep people from uploading tons of pictures for already-popular-and-well-photographed games. Instead, if you want some , you either moderate and build it up slowly, or else go out there and provide content for games that actually need it if you want to build it up fast.

Make sense?

PS - I've moderated myself for $0.50 so far! Yay! If this were real money, I'd be 1/600th of the way to getting the fancy 3-d Catan set!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
or possibly 10 geek pennies (or 50 gp .5 gg) for content after the 'cutoffs'. e.g. a new poster may actually have some relevant insights/content that should be rewarded.

Or if moderated-possibly have a toggle for 'thumbsup' that would give full value or 'thumbsdown' for lesser or no value. e.g. if you have something you feel is worthwhile after a game has the 'critical limit', you can run the guantlet of public opinion. It may not be bad, just redundant, or it may be good and worthwhile.

good concept though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are pretty arbitrary, I know, I know that is the point. The 11th review can still bring insight and perspective (especiallly if 10 reviews have been posted quickly to get the '3gg prize for first 10 reviews' you have just created...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For example, 1geekgold for each of the first 20 pics. After that, sorry, no gold for you.

The fatal flaw in this plan is that quantity does not equal quality. Just because a game has X number of images, doesn't mean that all possible useful pictures have been uploaded. Also, what happens when a "photo-saturated" game is rereleased in a different form?

There have been many times when I've been looking for very specific pictures, for example, what the backs of certain cards look like. I'd rather have to wade through 100 bad pictures and find the one I'm looking for instead of finding 20 pictures, none of which are helpful.

The last I heard, the admins wanted more GG in the BGG economy. This solution would run counter to that goal.

I think that the solution is not to cut off submissions, but to be more careful about the submissions that are approved. If I never see another War of the Rings custom paint job, it'll be too soon.

(with apologies for those who have spent hours on said paint jobs)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
kvn299 wrote:
The fatal flaw in this plan is that quantity does not equal quality. Just because a game has X number of images, doesn't mean that all possible useful pictures have been uploaded. Also, what happens when a "photo-saturated" game is rereleased in a different form?
The hope is that people who genuinely have something new to post will do it, but people who just want 10gg and don't care about the quality/need of their picture will pass, so after the limit is hit, pictures will still come.

But perhaps I'm being naïve in thinking that this will happen. Maybe there will still be mostly 95% redundant photos, just fewer of them, after the limit is hit. Hmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kaiser
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
kvn299 wrote:
The hope is that people who genuinely have something new to post will do it, but people who just want 10gg and don't care about the quality/need of their picture will pass, so after the limit is hit, pictures will still come.

But perhaps I'm being naïve in thinking that this will happen. Maybe there will still be mostly 95% redundant photos, just fewer of them, after the limit is hit. Hmmm...

Still, I like the idea that there is some limit to how many pictures a game can have. It gets a little crazy when I have to scroll through 3 pages of stupid images just to find a picture of the game box cover to add to a GeekList! There must be some sort of limiting factor. I mean just how many more Settlers images or Shadows Over Camalot or any other game with more than 100 images do we really need!

The new approval method doesn't seem to be improving the quality of the images that do get accepted. Maybe we should approach this from the opposite direction and add the images in and then give people GeeCents to rate the pictures as bad. After a certain number of ratings, the picture is removed. I'm not sure how to handle giving out GeekGold for pictures then but the approach seems it would work better than the current system. Maybe once the number of images reaches a certain point then the images can start to be rated to be removed from the database. One GeekCent for each vote to remove an image if that image ends up getting removed. Maybe 20-30 recommendations for removal or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.