Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Hancox
Australia
Melbourne
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,
have just played my first game of Napolean, and got serioulsy routed by the French cav.
I just want to confirm that we were playing correctly.

In a battle the defender sets up first, then the attacker.
The attacker goes first, and if he had Cavalry he could move to engage with his first battle move, then as his second battle move he could remain where he was a fire on the opposing units with double CV. The next turn they move to the engaged side where they can fire at single CV and then as the second battle move retreat back out of infantry range.

I faced the problem of seeing 8 cav and 2 horse artil and so since i had a couple of cav and infantry I was being hammered before i got to roll a dice. On top of the fact that as the defender I had to wait till my second round before I could call re-enforcements meant that with his rampaging Cav it was difficult to stop with the french alwasy being the attacker.

I guess my placement at the start was poor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, I'm going off the newer rules, but I'm pretty sure this hold true for the AH set as well. I checked Steffan O'Sullivan's list of changes between the versions, and I don't see any differences regarding what I'm about to say.

In the new rules, at least, you cannot move and fire, even with cavalry. Calvary does get two moves, but firing and moving are not interchangable. You move one or two "spaces" or you fire. Thus, if you are going to attack, the defender gets to fire first after (as) you advance. Likewise, you cannot fire and then disengage. This would indeed make the calvary quite powerful.

Also, I don't think you are saying this, but just to make sure I understand correctly, calvary may only fire when engaged. That is, in a given column, if the defender remains on their side's space, the attacker's calvary (and infantry) must move onto their side of the battleboard to engage. The defender may then fire on the engaged units, and on the next turn the attacker may fire. Only artillery (regular or horse) may fire "long range" into the far side of the column.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry
United States
carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
>

If this is the case, then why attack? It appears that the defender actually ends up getting combat initiative and an advantage, which is the opposite to what one might expect (attacker gaining surprise advantage).

Say player A attacks player B. Player A moves his calvary into "engaged" and is now not allowed to attack. Can player B now pick them all off on his first turn? Or must player B use his first turn to move into "engaged" first, in order to attack the cavalry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no historian, but I think the history buffs will tell you this is exactly right. This is not guerrilla warfare in the jungle. These are regimented lines of troops in fairly open country. If you are going to march your troops down a road to attack, you had better believe that the enemy is watching and will be aiming their rifles as you advance into range. I only know the history from the snippets I pick up playing these games, but in almost every wargame I play (admittedly, almost all are Columbia Games), the defender gets first strike. Surprise generally only happens in tactical, small-scale games.

I'm guessing you've not played the game. No, if Player A moves to engage Player B, B is already engaged and does not need to move. They may fire on the engaged enemies, form square, or retreat. However, they are highly unlikely to "pick them all off" in a single combat round. The advantage of the attacker is that if the defender has beefed up one column, they can engage only the weaker columns that they choose. Make the defender come to you if they want to engage that column. Also note, the attacker's artillery do, in fact, get to fire before anything else. This is where use of combined arms can be very important.

As for "why attack?" Well, if you are the French, it's the only way you can win. That's the whole "burden of attack." Napoleon wanted to conquer Europe; the Allies were not looking to conquer France. The balance is that the French have the stronger force, and thus the potential to attack effectively. But if either side is going to attack, they need to focus on their enemy's weak points. Yes, the defender has the edge with equal forces. Thus, don't attack with equal forces; aim for superiority in numbers and unit types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hancox
Australia
Melbourne
Vic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see the sense in this.
Terry I was thinking on how i could stop your cavalry charge with the rules we played and I could not do it. The limitations of only allowing 3 units per town in round one means your double movement and my single movement for dutch means you were always going to get there first attack and wipe out a huge amount of CV before i could even fire, plus the fact you then called on replacements and I had to wait another round before i could. I could never form enough troops to engage you until the end, and even then you know half of them were down to 1 CV from previous retreats. In the entire game I only took out 2 of your troops, the game was so imbalanced with that cav setup, this real rule will even that out.
The usefulness about cav is to get into attack, take damage fire with double CV and get out, or come in from reserve in one turn and fire and leave on the next, they will take damage though (although with my dice throwing luck, maybe not).
I would like a re-match with me beign allies again with the real cav rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.