(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this something that has been done on BGG ? A quick search led to no hits.

Do you think it should/should not be done ? Why ?

I ask because I was thinking of setting one up to bet on the final price of the Dune copy on e-bay and had, as you see, second thoughts. Anyone finding the idea particularly fun/annoying ? Going against BGG spirit ?

To be more precise, here´s what I had in mind:
- 1 bet/player
- 1GG/bet
- closest answer gets 2/3 of the GG, rounded up
- second closest gets remaining GG
- no splits : first player to indicate an amount gets the prize if that amount is prized
- bets closed 48 hours before e-bay auction

The thread that got me started is this one :

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/97389

AR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care about this particular auction, but I, I am ashamed to say, have unwisely participated in the gambling arts with large amounts of my GG in several unsavory dealings over the course of my membership, with other, shall we say, less than angelic geeks. They have robbed me blind without remorse.

Gambling is evil. Bad. But fun. Isn't that why we are here? Fun? So I say: Gamble, my fellow geeks, but do so wisely, and not with Chaddyboy, among others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not rampant, but yeah, quite a lot of gambling goes on here. The most obvious example is the annual NFL Football pool. In fact, Jimmy the Geek http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Jimmy+the+Geek is a fictitious user who acts as the bookie for the pool. He was created to insure that no ones stats on the (now defunct) GG Collectors list were warped by simply holding the money. As you can see, Jimmy has had 949gg worth of wagers pass through his hands.

I also use to gamble in the chat-room, betting on whether or not the next user to enter would have an avatar. Like real gambling you should only wager gg if losing it wont cause you emotional harm. With the introduction of GeekCents, however, I predict a lot of penny ante wagers will take place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Gambling is evil. Bad. But fun. Isn't that why we are here? Fun? So I say: Gamble, my fellow geeks, but do so wisely, and not with Chaddyboy, among others.

I didn't even win the league this year, Kane (favre4mvp) did! Anyways, get ready to be schooled in the NASCAR League!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
soblue Let us not discuss this year's football pool. yuk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't even get me started on Kane...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(The Artist formerly known as) Arnest R
Germany
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
Keep calm and carry on...
mbmbmbmbmb
thanks for all the replies - I´d lost the thread, with´em new modules. I´ll be GeekGold betting in the near future then... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.