Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems like a decent starting point for trying to make Replicator work. I dont know if its actually any better than similar non-replicator decks, but hopefully its playable.

Kate: 45 Cards

3 Magnum Opus

2 Crypsis
3 Femme ***
1 Corroder **
1 Yog.0 *
2 Test Run

2 Medium ******

3 Cyberfeeder ***
3 Replicator
3 Personal Touch
3 Dyson Mem Chip Akamatsu Mem Chip
2 Dinosaurus OR Toolbox, your pick

3 Personal Workshop
2 Armitage Codebusting
2 Aesop's Pawnshop

3 Diesel
2 Quality Time
3 Sure Gamble
2 Infiltration

Strategy: Try not to Test run for Opus unless you have to. Armitage is a backup Opus that you can use 5 times and hope to get Opus in that time. Best to test run for Breakers.

Play hardware and programs using a combination of workshop and Kate installs. Many turns should look like:
Take $ off a breaker sitting on workshop.
Install hardware (fetch copy).
Get $6 with Opus.

When you run out of hardware copies, use a draw card (Diesel/Quality Time) to find another. Ideally you want to bring duplicate copies out with Replicator as much as possible before spending draw cards. Draw cards are best conserved for later in the game, when your deck has been thinned, to find the missing breakers, mediums, etc.

When the Corp does something potentially threatening, and you can get through, infiltrate to check if its the goods, and run if it is.

Early to midgame is buildup, trying only to defend agendas so they cant rush you.

Your endgame rig is excellent, most likely a DinoFemme, a Corroder OR Yog, and a Crypsis. 3 personal touches can be spread around these. You also have 3 cyberfeeders to save money. The cyberfeeders pay for medium for free, and your lategame plan is to hit R&D each turn with 1-2 mediums, using efficient personal touched breakers, and cyberfeeder money. Once you R&D lock them you should have won.

Lategame you with Pawn the replicators, and eventually the workshops. Midgame, you can use hardware sitting on workshop as extra life points, if needed. For example:

You have 5 cards, Replicator in play, and a Workshop containing Replicator + Personal Touch. Weyland corp player scores posted bounty, sacrificing it to Tag you!

Before their next action, you pay to remove Replicator from Workshop, retrieving the final replicator from your deck. You then pay to remove the Personal Touch, removing two more Personal Touch from deck, now at 8 cards, you are safe.

Alternately, similar plays can save you from hitting a Snare or Junebug (draw up enough without needing clicks, so they cant Neural EMP you or Scorch you or whatever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hall

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Why are you running Dyson Memchip instead of Akamatsu?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
Australia
Newcastle
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oji4life wrote:
Why are you running Dyson Memchip instead of Akamatsu?

For the link. +1MU and +1 link on the 1 card keeps the deck trimmer for more good stuff, and Kate installs one of them for 2$

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting, however I'd probably run x3 Underworld Contacts for Synergy with the Link that Dyson Memchips provide along with Kate's Base 1 Link.

-2 Quality Time
-1 Sure Gamble

Just my two
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try to fit the Underworld in. And some globalsec, because 3 link cards isnt enough.

In the end, it seems even more durdly that way than the current version, which already spends long enough sitting there playing with hardware before it really tries to attack.

I feel like Underworld sets back your opening a bit to give better economy long term. When we have Opus, and Personal Touch, and Cyberfeeder, I'm not worried about long term. I'm worried about getting to that strong position faster.

The problem with too many shaper decks is that they take forever to get going. It doesnt matter that you win the lategame if you cant get there. They need to get there faster.

If youre putting in Underworld, the thing youre cutting for it is Opus, imo. Opus decks dont need Underworld, they have plenty good economy.

Re: Akamatsu Mem chip vs Dyson Mem Chip.
Its possible that Akamatsu is better. I figured that I wanted link, but maybe I really want to be faster. And be able to use them, with pawnshop, as Easy marks that draw more easy marks. Yeah actually maybe that is better!

Alternately we can always play toolbox for Link, instead of Dino. Personal Touch might be sufficient strength pumping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get Link + Underworld Contacts early, then it's a great supplement with it's drip economy to the click economy of Magnum Opus.

Plus, I'm not sold on Quality Time yet. Diesel is just such a great card at zero credits. I just don't feel that I should have to pay anything for card draw.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quality Time, in an Opus deck, is crazy good.

Compare:
Diesel + Draw + Draw.
vs
Quality Time(-$3) + $2 + $2.

Similar result. Quality time is $1 better. Plus its MORE diesels. Who doesnt want SIX diesels. I spend so many clicks drawing in shaper. Those draws couldve been $2 actions.

Alternately:

Diesel. Net +2 cards for 1 click.

Quality Time (get Sure Gamble off it). Sure Gamble.
Net +3 cards and +$1 for 2 clicks. It was like you Dieseled, then draw, and a credit appeared magically.

So with an Opus, Quality time is a BETTER diesel.

Re :Underworld contacts. Again, I just dont think theres room, or that this deck needs drip economy. It needs to be faster, not have better long term economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro G.
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming you're using Medium in lieu of Maker's Eye? Kate without Maker's Eye is like Chicken Fettuccine Alfredo without the Alfredo sauce. (opinion)

I can see why you're doing it, but Maker's Eye is her bread and butter card.

All in all an interesting deck, curious to see how you do with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you deal with a quick-scoring corp?

I played both with and against variations on Replicator Kate this past weekend, and none of them seemed to even remotely have game unless they were running Stimhack. Of those that even reached late-game, they really needed something like Medium before they were a major threat. Scoring early points is hard with Shaper, which means you need some way to reliably score them late.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Corbeau wrote:

Thats the problem with all shapers.

Hope you can Test run Femme or Crypsis in and take one. And then get Medium going fast enough.

Re: No makers eye. Yeah I want it, though Medium is the better sustained, lategame R&D attacker. I'm short on space and dont want cards clogging my hand early. Remember, playing hardware in this deck just gets more, so hand size is an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:
Corbeau wrote:

Thats the problem with all shapers.

Shaper won't be good until they have an answer. It's sad, but true. They need something, and Replicator itself isn't that answer, at least not yet. We really need some Shaper cards that either slow the corp noticably or seriously boost Shaper burst economy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth M
msg tools
mbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

Re: No makers eye. Yeah I want it, though Medium is the better sustained, lategame R&D attacker. I'm short on space and dont want cards clogging my hand early. Remember, playing hardware in this deck just gets more, so hand size is an issue.

I tried building RepliKate, then dropped the Replicator because I realized it was a better deck without it. I think Creation and Control is the earliest it'll be possible to really use it to its full potential.

Corbeau wrote:

Shaper won't be good until they have an answer. It's sad, but true. They need something, and Replicator itself isn't that answer, at least not yet. We really need some Shaper cards that either slow the corp noticably or seriously boost Shaper burst economy.

I am sick and tired of playing Magnum Opus Chaos Theory so I'm taking the opportunity of Kati Jones to swap back to the Aesop's Economy Mac I used to run. My personal technology is using Wyldside to feed the (Work/Pawn)shops like a demented NoiseShop with cost-efficiency in place of viruses.

Unfortunately my FLGS only got the cards today so I've only had a few hours of test games but it has performed well. Probably not as well as an experienced NoiseShop player, but such is the fate of all Shapers decks (alas that I continue to stick with them). The one thing that is clear: Kati Jones is glorious with Wyldside running.

Trial by fire will come in a tournament this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ony Moose
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought one of the selling points of running RepliKate was to get 3 HQInterfaces out early to put massive pressure on HQ. I'm still trying to get my decklist for her working though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Tebben
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mb
talain wrote:
I tried building RepliKate, then dropped the Replicator because I realized it was a better deck without it. I think Creation and Control is the earliest it'll be possible to really use it to its full potential.

I had the exact same experience. Replicator was the least useful card in my Replicator deck.

I think Alex's deck needs Modded really badly. Relying on MO and Armitage makes the deck far too slow early on. I'd also swap out Medium for Maker's Eye and use that influence for HQ Interface.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think any deck without Inside Man in it is not a Replicator deck.... it's a deck with replicator in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Decks too slow. Not enough breakers/tutors.

When spending clicks to install or onto Workshop and then getting money, its just a tad too slow.

Late game should be a beast and some threats with Mediums... but having played similar styles I think 9 breakers is about the minumum and even then having a tutor or two (even three!). This helps creates threats very early.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do agree that the deck probably isnt top tier, and its really waiting for R&D interface in particular, and the big box expansion. Once Test Run can turn into Self Modifying Code i'll be very happy.

I kindof hate Test Run. Its so inefficient, compared to drawing the card you want. But After spending 6 on two mediums and 3 on cyberfeeders which seem important to the deck, there isnt enough left for breakers.

I think this deck will get a lot better when it can replace Mediums with R&D interfaces. HQ interfaces dont lock people the way that R&D attacks do. I feel that control runners have to hit R&D. Your entire goal is to get a medium lock going as fast as possible, so they cant draw agendas anymore.

You could play Gordian over Yog. And actually I am thinking that I should play something like 1 Gordian 1 Yog, because backups are nice.

Yog is best here because I have three personal touches, and a couple of those on Yog pretty much crush all code gates (or 1 on Yog and Femme tollbooths or something).

It might be better to play 2 Corroder 2 Femme 2 Gordian though. Less single breakers is probably important, at least until we get to have three self-modifying code.

Playing through hands last night and a couple real games, the Replicators do feel good. You get to do turns where your workshop removes $1 from femme, you install Cyberfeeder for $1, get another, and then take 6 with opus. They provide enough fuel that youre effectively using the Kate discount and the workshop, while drawing you cards. The cyberfeeder set lets you play free mediums and $1 Crypsis with Kate bonus. Once you shrink your deck some with replicator, drawing 5 with quality time gets you more goodies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
szymkodf wrote:

I like the goal of the deck. I wonder how much work Aesop's will do for you, but only testing will tell. I feel like the only things you might pawn are a second Toolbox or extra mem chips.

Aesop's does lots of work.

1) Extra mem chips. Mem chip being 'Easy Mark + Draw a mem chip' is nice. 'Gain 3 + Draw' is even more efficient than a sure gamble.

2) Armitage as a backup Opus. I'd rather not test run for opus. If I get Armitage, I can use it five times and tide me over until I draw Opus hopefully. Pawning it means no efficiency was lost.

3) Lategame replicator.

4) Possibly lategame crypsis if I get all breakers.

5) Lategame workshops, once youre all set up.

Additionally, if you get Replicator and Pawnshop early, play Replicator getting a second. Play THAT replicator for $1 with kate, getting the last one, and eat it for $3. Thats a $2 action but it prevents you from drawing a dead replicator later.

Once you get to the lategame you should have a stream of things to pawn for a while, sustaining you while you medium dig them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suggestion:
The deck revolves around Aesops so much I play with three of them.

I've played the deck (or similar) and though I had three Aesops I still failed to draw one. All those Hardware were trashed from my hand as I watched my opponent quickly try to score.

I spent at least two turns drawing for breakers (Test Runs) just to keep the game from getting out of hand.

2 Opus
2 Kati Jones
3 Armitage
3 Sure Gambles

Alex goes with Workshop, in which case it's possible to drop the Kati Jones.

I also feel very confident that Alex's addition of a Gordian Blade in addition to the Yog will really help the decks consistency. The last thing any Runner wants to do is have to draw for breakers while the Corps is in a position to score agendas. ... Without consistent access to breakers any Runner is in trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

3 Aesop is reasonable, because its great. But I figured I didn't HAVE to have it early, and once I think my deck some and play draw 3/draw 5s, I should get one.

I'm definitely not cutting 1 Opus because this deck wants opus, and its way better to draw it than test run for it. I'd rather have Armitage as a backup Opus than Kati. If I only use Kati a bit and then get Opus, she is kindof inefficient. She is best used over long periods of time, and not instead of $2 actions.

If your plan is to go so long without Opus, using 3 Armitage and 2 Kati for money, and then you only draw Opus lategame, its not really efficient anymore. This deck desperately needs space for other things, I'm not sure what the point of 3 armitage + 2 kati as backup is. A couple armitage as backup is good most of the time, and once you get Opus those are all dead draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... I rarely get into a late game scenario any more, so my analysis may be incorrect about Opus late game.

Mentaly I'm thinking (like you) I don't want to Test for it. But my scenario was I only want it those very late game scenarios where the Corps has made it clear he's not using Fast Advance and he's just soaking up time trying to build a big Server...

In those cases three to seven turns of Opus while I'm waiting is where I envisioned it. (This happens so rare any more so maybe Opus isn't needed).
---
Another related discussion...
Truth is, the little I've been playing Shaper recently - I haven't needed Opus at all. Armitage, SureGambles and Aesops have carried me. ... My Shaper experience is limited but overall, I think with the meta change from super big ICE to lots of little ICE has made those days where you needed 25 credits less necessary. I've been running pretty comfortable with about 15 - 18 credits saving Femmes and Test Runs (or other tricks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliot Hemingway
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this deck really want Opus? Considering what Kati, Armitage, Workshop, and especially Pawnshop do for Kate's economy, and the many other ways she could use MU, is Opus really the right choice? I'm not so sure. You want to be spending an awful lot of clicks drawing and playing hardware rather than just grinding Opus.

And I hate Test Run with a fiery passion these days. Opus is just too expensive when Test Run (invest two actions in playing cards, an extra action in drawing a card, and 8 credits paying for all of that, and the corp is going to go nuts in the meantime), and Shaper has no other programs that really benefit yet. Self-Modifying Code can't come soon enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go ahead and work on the non-opus version. That was the first thing I tried with replicator.
In the end, I went back to a decklist that worked in the past (before fast advancing got so big), and the fit in replicator and quality time. The theory is: If this speeds me up enough, it could be a viable deck still against the fast advance meta. If not, then its still not viable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ezio Auditore
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
My Kate Deck:

I have been running a similar replicator build with Kate to a lot of success recently, basically, there are no tricks, everything in this deck is designed to get you set up to run quickly.

3 Magnum Opus
3 Crypsis
3 Battering Ram
2 Gordian Blade
1 Medium ***
1 Sneakdoor Beta ***
1 Djinn **

3 Test Run
3 Modded

3 Replicator
3 Cyberfeeder ***
3 Dyson Mem Chip
3 Personal Touch
2 HQ Interface ****
3 Plascrete Carapace
2 Toolbox

3 Armitage Codebusting
3 Underworld Contacts

With 3 Opus, 3 Armitage and 3 Test run your pretty sure to see something that can get you money in your opening hand with a mulligan. And you want a backups because you'll be face checking ICE a lot to make the corp rez ICE that keeps you out. If the corp get's you with a Rototurret or Ichi, great they spent 4-5 credits and you can drop an Armitage or install another Opus right away and you won't have that surprise later.

I originally had inside man in here but he breaks even at 7 credits and you want him out as early as possible to get that much out of him, and you never install the second, so he's basically a 3 of you will only ever use 1 of. That's no good, he's cut even with 19 hardware in this deck.

You have 3 Test runs, 3 Crypsis and 1 Djinn to help you get your Crypsis ASAP. So Crypsis is usually your first breaker and stays on as your sentry breaker through the end of the game. Personal Touches almost always all go on Crypsis which helps cut down the pain of having to load up a virus counter, the other 2 breakers are good without.

Late game your remaining Test Runs and Djinn help you get Sneakdoor and Medium.

The idea is keep your money high to keep pressure on remote servers, basically you run almost anything they put down, keep the corp poor by making them rez any ICE they put in play.

Late game this rig pressure's every server and if you make it there you win I've come back from 6-0 early games once this deck get's on lockdown. I think with the breakers and economy options this deck has as well as recurring running credits this deck does fairly well at pressuring early game as well. Not Gabe level but it's worked so far. It mainly faulters if it can't get crypsis out early and they have a sentry or code gate ending the run. The Djinn is a recent addition to add just another card to speed this process up, I dropped an HQ interface but 3 cards per access is still really good. It also slows down a bit if you can't get a replicator early and you have to postpone starting to build your rig. Just don't wait too long, the other copies are still in there somewhere and you can get the replicator bandwagon going again later once you have one.

Always get a second replicator installed at some point just to pull the third one out of your deck.

The Biggest tip is to get your credits to where they will end turns with at least 8 (or more if your planning to install your Toolbox next turn, it's a beast if you can't dig out a modded to go with it but it's easily doable in a Magnum economy) Having at least 8 credits plus recurring running credits gives you quite a bit of leeway in what's available to run if you need to that turn, even if you have to add crypsis counters.

I don't like card draw cards in this deck because you tend to draw multiples which you could have pulled out with replicators in the first place, I don't tend to draw a lot with this deck anyway, I let the deck decide how my pressure is going to be applied but no matter what it gives me it just get's stronger as it goes along, as long as I can pull an Opus, a replicator and a crypsis reasonably early I can generally win with this deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.