Mark Kaufmann
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Days of Wonder announces Cleopatra and the Society of Architects

Players compete to build an ancient Egyptian palace, while resisting the lure of corruption.

Los Altos, CA; Paris, France – January 28, 2006. Days of Wonder is announcing their newest board game Cleopatra and the Society of Architects™ at this week’s Nürnberg International Toy Fair.

Designed by Bruno Cathala and Ludovic Maublanc, Cleopatra & the Society of Architects is a fun and engaging family game that includes a true, three-dimensional palace that players compete to build. Players strive to become the wealthiest of Cleopatra’s architects by constructing the most magnificent and valuable parts of her palace.

Players, however, will be tempted to deal with shady characters and trade in materials of dubious origins in order to help them build faster. While these corrupt practices might allow an architect to stay a step ahead of the rest, they come with a high price – cursed Corruption Amulets honoring Sobek, the Crocodile-god. When Cleopatra finally strolls into her new palace, at the end of the game, the most corrupt architect (the one with the most amulets) will be seized and offered as a sacrifice to her sacred crocodile! Only then will the wealthiest architect, from among those still alive, be selected and declared the winner of the game.

“The component design in Cleopatra is the most innovative we’ve undertaken to date,” said Days of Wonder CEO, Eric Hautemont. “While it’s still a board game, the dozens of 3D pieces – Column walls, Doorframes, Obelisks, Sphinxes, and Palace Throne – all create the sense that you’re constructing a royal palace.”

“The game play really forces players into continually weighing the risks and rewards between taking enough corruption to enhance your position in the game, but not so much that you are forced out of the game at the end,” said the game’s co-designer, Bruno Cathala. “It’s a classic ‘push your luck’ dilemma, that continually raises the tension level higher and higher until the game reaches it’s climax.”

Cleopatra and the Society of Architects is for 3 to 5 players, ages 8 and up and takes approximately 60 minutes to play. The game is expected to be available this spring in Europe and in June in North America. Suggested retail price is US $49.95 and €49.95.

For more information visit: www.cleopatragame.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Glidden
United States
Denver
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Noaceyet wrote:
cool

Indeed. arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
something to look out for ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Was High Society the first game to have this mechanic of the second place player winning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
Was High Soc
iety the first game to have this mechanic of the second place player winning?

Kinda, High Society states the person with the least amount of money cannot win. But that doesn't mean that person had the most goods. But it is similar. Also sounds like Das Letzte Paradies, where if you have less money that you started with you also cannot win.

It is a similar mechanic, and does make for a tense playout. It's what makes High Society a really cool game in my book. I look forward to checking this one out. I love Press your Luck games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
It also has a bit of Terra in it, by the sound of it.

If they had the pyramid collapse if the players hit a certain total of crappy bricks, it would be just like Terra (another Faidutti game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are, yes, Ancient Egypt! meeple

Actually the mechanics and theme here seem sufficiently different for that sort of remark to be silly.

Will look out for it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
It also has a bit of Terra in it, by the sound of it.

If they had the pyramid collapse if the players hit a certain total of crappy bricks, it would be just like Terra (another Faidutti game).

Except it's not a Faidutti game. The designers are Bruno Cathala and Ludovic Maublanc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
In no way was my thinking about related games meant to be a slam. I am looking forward to trying this one too, but the description struck a few chords, so I tossed them out there.

Right on my noting the wrong Bruno. Sorry Brunos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwsparks
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
When the bullet hits the bone!
mbmbmbmbmb
That website has been set up just to tease us...

But the artwork looks gorgeous. DOW has a really high standard for their artwork, and it shows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Constantine von Hoffman
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope this game is better than its title. What's the sequel Julius Caeser and the Brotherhood of Accountants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't help but pick up a "Shadows over the Abbey of the Architects" sort of vibe... Or "Mystery of Cleopatra's Camelot"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update Mark. We're eager to give it a try. I'm sure they'll feel right at home with our other DoW Games...

Bob
arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Stubbs
United States
Florence
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, who couldn't like a game where the "winner" gets tossed to the crocs? laugh

For a consolation prize, make that person keep possession of one of those inflatable alligator pool toys until the next "winner" gets tossed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do hope the rules are easier to understand than Mystery Of The Abbey

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
markrollings wrote:

???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very cool. Another DoW Game to add to my growing collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
dwsparks wrote:
That website has been set up just to tease us...

But the artwork looks gorgeous. DOW has a really high standard for their artwork, and it shows.

I disagree. It seems rather amateurish and, well, ugly to me. (No offense to the person who has the DoW art gig, but you know what they say about opinions)

I seem to be in the minority on this, though, as most people seem to like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Olsson
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the name and the concept are pretty cool and purchase-able. I will hope that there might be a BGG contest to win a few of them, but based on my .000 record in the previous contests, I will have to scrape together my $49.95. At least while the Euro is still riding high.

Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Longbow wrote:

I disagree. It seems rather amateurish and, well, ugly to me. (No offense to the person who has the DoW art gig, but you know what they say about opinions)

I seem to be in the minority on this, though, as most people seem to like it.

Your not. The component art looks well done, but as usual the illustrations look like "fan" art. Not bad, just not top notch. I guess Vohwinkel can't work for everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Rollings
United Kingdom
Peterborough
Cambs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spearjr wrote:
markrollings wrote:

???

I'm sure it's really simple when you know how but I don't think the rules were written as clearly as they could have been and it ended up confusing my gaming group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
markrollings wrote:
spearjr wrote:
markrollings wrote:

???

I'm sure it's really simple when you know how but I don't think the rules were written as clearly as they could have been and it ended up confusing my gaming group.

Second that....about DoW rulebooks. I'd like to see a game summary on the back page...a quick start if you will that you can read before you start reading the actual rules. Like Zoch did for Niagara.

But another question....how many miniatures will be in the game? 3-D structures.....cardboard? Plastic? Resin? Will they be boring and gray? Do I need to hire a miniature painter again to get these all nice and colorful?

Let me know, so I can start saving

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Games Are About Glory
United States
Macedon
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grandslam wrote:
...this mechanic of the second place player winning

Actually, based on the press release (http://static.daysofwonder.com/lang/english/images/DoW_news0...) the second place player doesn't automatically win. The person with most amulets (gained by performing corrupt actions) is fed to the crocs and the wealthiest surviving player wins. I would imagine it's possible to have the most money and not be the most corrupt at the endgame - at least I would hope so. Here's the excerpt from the press release:

"When Cleopatra finally strolls into her new palace, at the end of the game, the most corrupt architect (the one with the most amulets) will be siezed and offered as a sacrifice to her sacred crocodile! Only then will the wealthiest architect, from those still alive, be selected and declared the winner of the game."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno cathala
France
st pierre en faucigny
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Dave

you're completly right !
it happens that the most corrupted player is not the richest !!
but in the main situation, getting corruption allows you to get a lot of gold...

will you resist to temptation ??
;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.