Popular Tags: [View All]
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I read most of scribidinus's file for the ABCDE 2.0 variant. It says that if nobody has captured 6 flags after going through the deck twice, then the winner is the person with the most flags. Tiebreaker: the player who went first loses.

Am I reading him correctly that that's how it's played in Memoir '44? I haven't played Memoir yet.

I don't like the stalemate that can happen in the game and think this would help. But isn't there a better way than just giving the tiebreaker to the first player?

I was playing Kernstown (3rd scenario in rules) last night and neither of us wanted to advance from our "bonus" positions. We both had captured two flags. I was confederate and playing the defensive position, greatly outnumbered, and I had gone first. It seems the defensive player shouldn't lose on a stalemate so I'm thinking the first tie-breaker should go the the player with the FEWEST units on the field. This is because the player with the most units should have been in a better position to attack. If the game had announced in the set-up which player is the Defender, that would make a decent tie-breaker too.

Does Memoir '44 handle this any better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Memoir a heap of times, and I don't even understand the question. In Memoir a medal is awarded whenever you destroy an enemy unit, so the only way the game could stalemate would be if nobody was dying. Given that you practically always have someone to shoot at, that doesn't happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, sorry. I didn't make it clear. I was playing Battle Cry, not M '44. Scrib's ABCDE 2.0 variant for BC tells of a variant ending that would prevent a stalemate, I think. I was wondering if he got that from M '44...or how M '44 works in this respect.

Even without the cover bonuses in BC, I can see times when it's tied in the number of Flags (similar to Medals in M '44?...I've never played the latter) and neither side wants to advance enough to let the other player have first shot. That would be a stalemate situation. Is that not possible in M '44?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Victory Conditions in M'44 are similar to BC with the exception that capturing some hexes count for Victory Medals (Flags in BC) and the number of medals to win may vary per scenario.

My feeling on my variant is if the attacker, the player who moves first by my definition, fails to achieve a win by eliminating the assigned number of defending units within a two deck limit, the defender wins that battle.

Keep in mind that with all the available scenarios that general rule may need tweaking. In Kernstown in particular, the Rebs are out numbered but are the attacker by my definition.

Perhaps, as the scenario instructions read,
Quote:
Can the "Stonewall Brigade" stem the tide? Or will Shield's Division sweep aside the smaller Confederate force?

In this case the Rebs should be considered the defender.

Feel free to evaluate each scenario individually. Even though they're my house rules, they're in your house.

BTW, if you and your wife like my slightly more complicated BC variant, I suspect you'll like C&C: Ancients better than M'44.

Scrib

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Scrib!

No wife here, and I'm not at all a wargamer, but BC seems too simple & random even to me. I'll probably be getting into your rules more as we play the game more. They look like you've put a lot of thought into them.

I see you remove the All Out Offensive card. One variant had the player who plays it lowering his hand size by one for the rest of the game. I know in your variant one would also have to ignore the "shuffle" part of it, but what do you think of this variant?

It would make whoever draws it the first time through the deck have to hold it til end game to get its benefit without its penalty. Do you think having to hold it might be enough of a balancing effect?

(I suppose it would also need a "cycle" clause for those that didn't want to hold it: You may discard All Out Offensive and draw a card during the final step of your turn.")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
davidme wrote:
Is that not possible in M '44?

I guess it is possible, but I have never seen a situation where the armies were so far apart that nobody could shoot. I do think my opponents are not very cautious, though. I don't know how far the units can fire in BC, is it 321, 333 and 332211 like in Memoir?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

In Battle Cry Infantry is 4/3/2/1, Artillery is 5/4/3/2/1 Cavalry is 3 dice at one hex only.

Scrib

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.