Dungeon Dice» Forums » General

Subject: Brainstorming for lightning spell rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arne G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Potluck Games just updated the PnP game to include an optional lightning spell and left it up to us to create its effect.

So here's my idea: the spell stuns on contact. If the lightning spell is successful, it adds its value to battle plus it negates the next ability used by the monster or player it was used on. So, for example, if a player uses the spell on a goblin at the beginning of combat and it hits, the goblin can no longer use its sword ability. Or if a player uses it on a spider, the player controlling the spider would choose which ability to negate. Or a player could even use it on a harpy to prevent it from carrying away their stuff, a dragon to maybe keep it from breathing fire, etc.

If the witch uses it against a player at the beginning of combat, it adds its value to the witch's roll and negates the player's first ability used (shield, sword, whip, axe...or if its an artifact, then drain, etc.). So the player would have to essentially choose which ability he/she couldn't use that battle. It wouldn't affect a player's capacity to use a spell or potion tho.

My only concern is how it would interact with player's armor. I would allow the spell to be cast first before the player has had the option to use the armor ability.

So, what do y'all think? I think the lightning spell would come in handy sometimes. The ability could also be incorporated into a lightning elemental or a similar monster in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Griffin Patterson
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I used the lightning spell in a few of my PnP games a couple weeks ago and had it act differently. When I created it, I had it as a stun ability as well. However, in my case, the number on each face stunned out any and all dice that had an equal number. Therefor, if a level 3 goblin rolled 2, 2, and 5, you could use lightning and hope to roll a two face, thus cancelling out four points from the monster's roll! However, it also stunned out yours. This means that you would have to do a little mental math to see if it's worth it and even then you might not roll that number at all.

While the idea was great on paper, it rarely ever got used because most people would rather just use something like drain or fire because the combat score swing would end up being about the same anyways.

That said, I quite like your idea. My only problem is how combat usually takes place. What I mean is that you normally roll your combat, then the enemy rolls theirs. Then the hero carries out his abilities and then the monster carries out its abilities. After all this, in the event of a losing situation, spells are used. This would be like gust or pain (KS exclusive). The witch would be daring to cancel out abilities before they are carried out, as a gust would be equally as adequate.

I would certainly like to hear how it goes with playtesting ability stunning and if lightning is used by a witch, I would definitely say that lightning strikes first (it's just so goddamned fast!) and no abilities can be used before it (maybe not even execute).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arne G
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks Griffin, I plan on testing it out next week when I get more blank dice. I like your idea too - perhaps it fits an "earthquake" type spell better? Or maybe if it only targets the monster?

For my spell, I don't think combat timing would be a big deal. The rules say you can add a one-use die to combat at any time. So after the active player has a chance to use their armor, they could use a scroll to cast the lightning spell before the monster can use its ability.

If going up against a witch, the witch would have to wait until the active player's armor kicks in and then cast the spell. So it could potentially negate a slash, axe, hammer, whip, drain spell ability, etc.

90% of the time this would be a simple process as the active player would use it to ignore the ability of a monster, as most monsters only have one ability. A monster with two of the same ability would just have one after the spell. In the case of a spider, skeleton, cockatrice, or dragon, the player to the left of the active player would choose which ability to skip.

I also pointed out on KS somewhere that this has an interesting interaction with the dragon. The dragon can use gust to reroll all the dice and reset abilities. So the active player would have to wait until the dragon has gusted already to negate the dragon's fire spell. Plus the spell would be useful because it adds to the active player's combat value and the dragon is immune to fire, the only other spell that adds to combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.