Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi -

I host a weekly Board Game club at the high school where I teach. The club owns several games and I bring in many from my collection as well. I generally discourage CCG's due to their nature of each player needing to own their own deck, which restricts the open policy I have where anyone should be able to come in and join a game.

I think I'm interested in getting Star Wars LCG for the club. I read great things about the game and the idea of choosing sets of cards instead of individual cards seems like it would make building decks easier and faster.

Is my impression correct that deckbuilding here is easier and doesn't really take that long before you can actually start playing?

Also, if I do decide to get this for the club, I am thinking of getting the first cycle of force packs (or at least what's available when the order is placed in August.) Should I get a 2nd Core Set??

On the plus side, it means 2 games can go at once or that kids can double up on some of the objectives. On the negative, that's a lot of money to sink into one game. (We have a $200 budget and get a 20% discount at our FLGS which gives us $250 list price worth of games.)

I appreciate your thoughts.
-TR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the first few games, play with the 'preconstructed decks'. I've done that about 5 times now and still have a great time playing them. It removes all the choices/complexity of deck building and lets you get into the game itself, understanding nuances needed for deck building.

I do recommend buying 2 Core Sets, there's not that much wasted material (about maybe 10% of the cards) for a single person. However, if you're in a gaming group, I foresee a lot of games with the preconstructed decks (so 4 people playing at one time) then some will just get bored with it while others will want to construct decks and 2 Core Sets will be very handy for this.

Also, keep in mind that an expansion is supposed to come out that allows 3-4 players (1 Imperial vs 2 or 3 Rebel players). Having 2 Cores will probably make this style of gaming easier.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and I should add, if this is for a 'gaming group', you'll want to sleeve your cards to give them a lot more life.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the SW LCG, and I don't think you should get it for the club.

If you want people to be able to drop in a play, an LCG might be all right using the precon decks, but I can't see more than a couple of players getting interested in building their own decks. If they do, they'll have to spend time breaking down someone else's deck from last time before constructing theirs.

I really think that something like Summoner Wars would be a much better investment. For the same price as two core sets of Star Wars, you can get six preconstructed armies in the Master Set. The game is quicker for newbies to learn and get competent at, and deck-building isn't as much of a necessity. There are fewer components to get lost, as well. If you want to expand it, you're not just getting a bunch of cards, you're getting a faction pack that's self-contained.

Just my 2 cents as a fan of both games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Hodgson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2 cores gives you 8 starter decks , enough to get 4 groups of 2 going . Forget the Force Packs for now . If you think you have 8 kids looking to get into this then double up on the core and that should be ok for now . You may find a couple not interested after a few games but if this happens , then you can start the deck building aspect with the two cores and that should keep 4 or 6 going nicely .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strongly recommend going with 2 starters first. Better decks, and each player has a better chance of getting the big names which will increase their fun and thus their interest in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend not introducing Star Wars LCG or Other LCG's to your play group.

I play Star Wars, Game of Thrones, and Netrunner LCG's. They are some of my absolute favorite games. I love these games.

Ialso play and teach many Board games (Eclipse, Dominion, Mage Knight, Star Trek Fleet Captains, 7 Wonders Puerto Rico, Descent, etc.) to a play group that varies a lot. I have found that LCG's take a lot longer to learn and to enjoy. The number of rules in LCG's are comparable to the rules of a Board Game. The different is that each card in an LCG is more rules to learn. You need to learn your own cards, you ned to learn your opponents cards. It also takes longer to learn the nuances of play to be able to play competitively, or even competently. I think I lose my first 6 games of an LCG when I learn to play. I learn a lot by losing, and I enjoy it. But it takes time, focus, and effort.

In my experience playing and teaching board games, players begin to enjoy playing, and understand the game, during their first game.

With LCG's player frequently don't have fun, and don't understand what their doing until a number of games. And even when they begin understanding their still likely to lose. Losing better, but losing.

What I have enjoyed playing with other non-LCG players, normal board-gamers, and non-gamers, is YOMI. Everyone I've played YOMI with, loves it, and wants to play again right away.

When I play Yomi, I feel like I'm playing an LCG. But It's rules light, and mechanically simply enough to understand on the first play. At the same time there's wonderful subtlety of play where I always feel like I'm learning more about the game and becoming a better player. The Decks are completely set. There's no deck building. There are ten characters in the "YOMI: Complete First Edition" each with their own deck, and there's never anything else to buy. The characters are awesome, all very different, and very balanced. It retails for $99, and would actually allow 5 matches, 10 people to all be playing at the same time. You could hold your own tournaments.

I don't mean to make this an advertisement, But I think YOMI really serves your community well, and LCG's will not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarrett McBride
msg tools
mkaup366 wrote:
I don't mean to make this an advertisement, But I think YOMI really serves your community well, and LCG's will not.

Sounds like it to me. =P

I think you should give it a whirl. Best case scenario - it's a hit. Worst case, nobody likes it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
If your group is a bunch of gamers, I'd totally introduce this game. I've introduced it to my board game group and it's gone over quite well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious why you're interested in Star Wars: The Card Game. Is it one you have that you really like? Is there an interest in a Star Wars game at your club? If your club needs a Star Wars game, I'd recommend two core sets of X-Wing. X-Wing is a lot easier to learn than the card game and is visually appealing with the awesome miniatures.

I love the card game, but I feel you really have to study the rules and the cards to be able to play it well and "get" the game. I haven't had a lot of success sharing it with people who aren't CCGers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have. The rules at first seem a bit intricate, but after all one play, they fit the theme so well, the dozen friends I've introduced this to have "got it". Maybe some minor clarifications, but I've had plenty of non CCGers get and love this game.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.