Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!» Forums » General

Subject: VASSAL Help rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Piffy Missiroli
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi everybody.

I'm trying to setup a Fire in the East scenario just to learn how to play both VASSAL and the game. I'm starting to deply the counters but I'm unable to find the multispt counters for the minors (eg. Finland).
What am I getting wrong here?

Thanks a lot.

Marcello (from Italy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most (all?) minor countries only have 2 step units, so the 2-step side is on the reverse of the 1-step side.

If you haven't started on the major powers yet, they're a little more tedious. Since the counters are sorted by card #, you'll have to search through several tabs to find the right counters. It helps to have the player and that shows the list of historical cards played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piffy Missiroli
Italy
flag msg tools
Ah OK, so my question now becomes "How do I reverse a 1-step side in order to obtain a 2-step counter"?

(Yeah, noticed that the 1 and 3 steps where there... It's tedious all right but at least it's logical)

Thanks again..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Vincent
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drag the counter onto the map, right click on the counter and click "flip". There's also a keyboard shortcut - Ctrl-something, but I don't remember it.

I've found flipping to be slightly wonky in this module. Sometimes you'll click flip, the text box will say that you flipped the counter, but it won't actually flip over. If you do it a second time it works.

Also, to complicate things, there are some counters that have nothing on the back, and you can't flip those. You can't really tell that by looking at them unless you're already familiar with which units are blank on the back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piffy Missiroli
Italy
flag msg tools
Ha! Thanks.
I'll go on setting things up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott de Brestian
United States
Mt. Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The counters are sorted by card number (under TK units) but there is another button (with an icon that looks like a counter) that allows you to access the units separately by nationality.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Yves Moyen
Denmark
København
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I am one of the (re)designer of the module (version 10).

* The counters "exist" indeed at two different places. One is the "palette" (one for both TK and DS, with many tabs and list) and the other is the "trays" (one for each game, with 4 tabs for the different sides and no list). The palette is the Vassal stuff where counters are defined while the tray is not necessarily (from a vassal point of view) but hold the counters like regular counter trays (in this case, one box for each card/nation).

The main difference is that counters with multiple identical counters (eg, German 1 step corps) are only present once in the palette but with the correct number of occurrence in the trays. Similarly, markers (eg, blitz) are not present in the trays.

The intention is that the trays should be used in game (typically, when playing a card, select the correct stack on the tray and used Send to FP/Delay) to simplify stuff (especially, counters in the palette may not receive "send to" order as they are not yet "created" for Vassal).

However, we choose to leave the trays empty for the "empty map" setting and to fill them only for the scenarios. There had been some discussion on whether we should do it that way or put some "at start" stacks on the trays, and I don't remember why this was the final choice...

So, when you're building a new scenario, you should indeed start from the empty map and "create" the counters from the palette. Remember also to "activate" the minors (right click, activate as). This will set up the send to orders correctly.

Beware that some counters are apparently identical in the palette but differ by the back side (eg, Soviet corps/army are numbered only on the army side).

* Flip is ctrl-F. Yes, there is a problem where often you have to flip a counter twice to get the result. We don't know why it's here (nor really how to investigate it). It may have been created when I tried to automatically pre-flip all counters (version 8 had the "big" (2 or 3 step) side showing up by default while it makes way more sense gamewisely to get the "small" (1 or 2 steps) side up). Since I did not want to do all this by hand, I directly edited the XML with some script and might have missed something during the process...

* We may someday disable the flip command for one sided counters.

* Once you've finished creating the scenario, first should should remember to save it as "observer" (so that players can play any side) and then you can upload it to the Vassal site so that other can use it (and we may include it in further versions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.