Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Sergeant
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering purchasing Alhambra and have been checking prices at various places. Last week thoughthammer had it cheapest at $13.59, while listing the normal retail price at $19.99. Some other sites were selling it for around $30, and listed the retail for $35.00. So today I hop over to thoughthammer to look around and Alhambra is at $22.72 and the retail is listed as $34.99, but GameSurplus still has it for $15.00 with the retail listed at $19.99! Are there two different versions of Alhambra floating around?? An older $19.99 version and a new $34.99 version? Could someone help alleviate this confusion on what I am looking at?

Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dac Copus
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's a little confusing.
If you look at fairplaygames, I think it gives the answer, there's a newer 19.99 english edition, and the more expensive original german version w/english translations. I'm not 100% sure on this, but it is the most likely solution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Martin
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are in fact two versions of this floating around.

The first one to come out was German, but some did come packaged with an english instruction translation (ours was attached to the outside of the box, but I don't know if that is standard everywhere or specific to our FLGS's distributors, or for that matter if this was a universal thing or just something that we managed to get lucky with).

A few months ago, an english version came out, with pack in english translation and translated building names on the tiles.

I *think* that the original was UberPlay and the english one is Queen games, but I'm not 100% sure (could be the other way around, or I could be hallucinating).

Just recently the expansions for the game have also been released in english as well.

I've heard that the card backs are slightly different between the two versions of the game, so some expansions (like the one with the extra diamond currency) are useless if you get the wrong one. I don't know if that's actually true or not, though.

The differences could result in different pricings, since I believe that they have different publishers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Sergeant
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you mean from the fairplaygames website, but it seems a bit odd to me that a store like thoughthammer would change which version they are selling. I guess since there are two different versions, I need to decide which is the better version to buy now...any ideas on that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
IanthePez wrote:
I see what you mean from the fairplaygames website, but it seems a bit odd to me that a store like thoughthammer would change which version they are selling. I guess since there are two different versions, I need to decide which is the better version to buy now...any ideas on that?

The Uberplay version came out first, then Rio Grande got the rights to distribute games from Queen. Usually when something like this happens, the company that originally had the game clears out its stock at a discounted price. (The company just wants to clear out stock and get on with new ventures.)

Thoughthammer might have been selling the Uberplay version at its discounted price, then sold out and switched over to the Rio Grande version.

As for which version to get, I have no suggestions as I haven't compared the two side-by-side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Sergeant
United States
Burlington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed Thoughthammer and here is his reply...

"Alhambra is a Queen game currently distributed by Uberplay and RGG. Our distributor was being supplied by Uberplay, but they are completely out.
RGG charges more, so the distributor charges us more, so we had to adjust the price slightly to make up for this."

So it seems the Uberplay version is cheaper than the Rio Grande version, which is fine. The real question then is do the expansions have to match the original version for them to be playable? So confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.