Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've browsed these forums, studied the FAQ, and read the rule book. Here is my conclusion. Will someone please inform me if this is false?

1. When you go to zero life points for any reason, at any time, on anyone's turn, the ONLY way you can be brought back to life is if someone has obtained the Holy Grail on a PREVIOUS quest, and lets you use it.

2. The ONLY time you can still perform one final action after falling to zero life points, is if you hit zero life points as a heroic sacrifice to get an extra action. You take that final desperate action, then you die for good (unless someone lets you use the Holy Grail, which was aquired in a previous turn).

In summary: Holy grail is the only way to come back from zero life points. Choosing to lose your final life point for an extra action is the only way to take a final action before dying.

Is that accurate? I believe it is what the designer intended, and thematically it makes the most sense to me.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
FranklinT wrote:
I've browsed these forums, studied the FAQ, and read the rule book. Here is my conclusion. Will someone please inform me if this is false?

1. When you go to zero life points for any reason, at any time, on anyone's turn, the ONLY way you can be brought back to life is if someone has obtained the Holy Grail on a PREVIOUS quest, and lets you use it.

2. The ONLY time you can still perform one final action after falling to zero life points, is if you hit zero life points as a heroic sacrifice to get an extra action. You take that final desperate action, then you die for good (unless someone lets you use the Holy Grail, which was aquired in a previous turn).

In summary: Holy grail is the only way to come back from zero life points. Choosing to lose your final life point for an extra action is the only way to take a final action before dying.

Is that accurate? I believe it is what the designer intended, and thematically it makes the most sense to me.

Thanks!
You are right on both counts!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I've found that most of my rule questions with this game have been answered with simply what makes the most sense with the theme. Just what makes sense, period. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G K
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Mattel Electronics Presents
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since players can join and leave in the middle of a game, do you normally let dead players come back with another knight? Being eliminated is no fun, but you could exploit extra actions if this was allowed. Anyone have thoughts on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
speltor wrote:
Since players can join and leave in the middle of a game, do you normally let dead players come back with another knight? Being eliminated is no fun, but you could exploit extra actions if this was allowed. Anyone have thoughts on this?
The groups I play with don't allow folks back in the game; deceased knights serve snacks to the survivors. Makes for better play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to the original question: here is a good discussion on this issue on the Days of Wonder SOC forum site:
http://www.daysofwonder.com/en/msg/?th=4531&start=0
two of the entries are by the game's author, Bruno des Montagnes (Bruno Cathala) confirming the correctness as stated in the original query. I should have cited it earlier as I prefer to reference my sources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Doug. Bruno Cathala is quite clear on the matter. The only way to be revived is via the holy grail, and only if it was acquired before your life points hit zero. And you do not continue your turn unless you sacrificed that last life point to take the extra action. Then you take that extra action with your dying breath. It just "feels" right this way, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
speltor wrote:
For the sake of gameplay balance, I wouldn't allow this, for the reasons you mentioned. If you're playing it more as a social fling, then it'd certainly be an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.