L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a question on CSW regarding US player's cards sorted by Aldritch Ames while he's under a Quagmire. The idea is that the US player would be free to discard whatever card he liked for the Quagmire's effect, regardless of the AA order, until the Quagmire was ended, at which point the AA order would be enforced again.

But with Jason's ruling on Missile Envy and Quagmire (CSW #1927) that the ME must be discarded at the earliest opportunity if it cannot be played, it seems that the order of discards under AA would be similarly restricted (assuming that there's to be a uniformity of rulings).

That is, the US player would have to discard the earliest card in the AA sequence that satisfies the Quagmire.

The parallel could also be applied to UN intervention, if placed in the AA order -- it would have to be used when it comes up in the order (for Ops if nothing else).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would appreciate it if you would wait until my questions on CSW have been responded to before presenting them here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
?

I was responding to it.

Since I cannot post on CSW, I placed the response here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason has ruled on these questions on CSW.

Basically the Aldritch Ames "sequencing" takes precedence, over the text of cards saying that the US player gets to choose, within limits.

In the case of UN Intervention, if it were reached "in sequence", it would be played for Ops unless it were adjacent to a card with a USSR event.

In the case of Quagmire, the US would have to discard the first 2+ Ops card in the sequence. When those were gone, he would have to play scoring cards (in sequence). Of course, he would have to violate the sequence if it would force him to hold a scoring card. Once Quagmire was canceled, he would have to play the remaining cards from the start of the sequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AllenDoum wrote:
Jason has ruled on these questions on CSW.

Basically the Aldritch Ames "sequencing" takes precedence, over the text of cards saying that the US player gets to choose, within limits.

In the case of UN Intervention, if it were reached "in sequence", it would be played for Ops unless it were adjacent to a card with a USSR event.

I don't see an exception for adjacent USSR events in Jason's ruling: "If UN INTERVENTION is included in the sequence, it would have to be played for Operations Value."

Perhaps you could ask him to clarify that. If it can be played with an adjacent USSR event, does the order in which the two cards appear (UN Intervention followed by USSR event or vice versa) matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulemonger wrote:

I don't see an exception for adjacent USSR events in Jason's ruling: "If UN INTERVENTION is included in the sequence, it would have to be played for Operations Value."

Perhaps you could ask him to clarify that. If it can be played with an adjacent USSR event, does the order in which the two cards appear (UN Intervention followed by USSR event or vice versa) matter?

I'll ask, but Aldrich Ames determines the order that the cards can be played, not what can be done with them. That is why I expanded on his answer. Incorrectly, as it turns out. Have amended answer, see below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L. Scott Johnson
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree wholeheartedly with your interpretation (see my original response above).

Unfortunately, I find no room for such interpretation in Jason's statement -- and it wouldn't be the first time something I consider to be clear from card text differs from the official line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Answer form Jason: UN Intervention can only be played for Ops when reached in the Aldritch Ames sequence.

I have ammended my previous, incorrect, answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.