1 Posts

Eclipse: New Dawn for the Galaxy» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Great implementation of a great game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason R.

Los Angeles
msg tools
Just thought I'd post a quick review on this since I've never played the physical version of the game, just the app. I do most of my gaming online, actually, on sites like Board Game Arena, and I always jump at the chance to learn something new. Knowing Eclipse's reputation on BGG, this was a must-try for me.

First of all, the game itself is awesome. Plenty of reviews are posted on its BGG forum, but for a newcomer it's easy to see why it has such a great reputation. Really glad I learned it.

As for the app itself, it's really excellent. There's a lot of info in front of you at all times in this game, and the app does a great job of keeping it organized. The player boards and tech tiles are built into windows that slide open and shut with a tap. It's definitely the best-looking board game adaptation I've played on the iPad.

Players can play as any of the 7 races, and the AI is challenging. I was able to beat the easiest of three AI levels (Peaceful/Normal/Hardcore) without too much difficulty, but the Normal AI is good. Online play is available in real-time (if you can get players to actually stick around) and async. Online is inconsistent, though - I haven't been able to get through more than 2 rounds of an online game without players unexpectedly resigning or glitching out. Hopefully this will improve with more players and updates.

Highly recommended - if you like the experience of board games on your iPad and you've enjoyed apps like Ticket to Ride or Carcassonne, this is well worth your time.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.