Subject: Shepherd & Warrior - Rules Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dr Orwi
Austria
flag msg tools
mb
Hi!
Yesterday, we came upon a rules question concerning the shepherd in combination with the warrior:
Do the surrounding hexes of the warrior count as “occupied” also for scoring with the shepherd? So in detail, do I receive the 2 gold from the shepherd for building in a hex even if adjacent hexes of the same kind are empty but all “blocked” by a warrior?
Thanks for any comments/clarifications!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
drmiwi wrote:
Do the surrounding hexes of the warrior count as “occupied” also for scoring with the shepherd? So in detail, do I receive the 2 gold from the shepherd for building in a hex even if adjacent hexes of the same kind are empty but all “blocked” by a warrior?

Based on the latest copy of the English rulebook that I have (not yet available on the Queen website), the warrior doesn't change whether or not the hex is empty; it just prevents placing or moving pieces there. So Shepherds sees those spaces as empty (and thus doesn't score).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Orwi
Austria
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you very much for your quick clarifying answer.
We discussed whether the prevention from placing pieces there makes them "occupied" hexes (as is the case for adjacent building), but you are right they are empty and thus everything should have been clear actually.
Thanks for the great game!
p.s. When can we expect the updated rulebook to be published?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
drmiwi wrote:

I don't know but reminded them.

Aside from clarifying things and fixing typos, the changes are that the meeples stay on the board for scoring, and the "outpost," renamed to "fort," is now, turn over a terrain card and put a piece on that terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pato rumura
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
donaldx wrote:
drmiwi wrote:

I don't know but reminded them.

Aside from clarifying things and fixing typos, the changes are that the meeples stay on the board for scoring, and the "outpost," renamed to "fort," is now, turn over a terrain card and put a piece on that terrain.

Let me get this straight.

1. The meeples ship, wagon and warrior do count as settlements for scoring? Lets say for merchants etc.
2. The fort is now the same as the oracle, but you get to draw an extra card before you place the extra settlment?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
rummel17 wrote:
1. The meeples ship, wagon and warrior do count as settlements for scoring? Lets say for merchants etc.
2. The fort is now the same as the oracle, but you get to draw an extra card before you place the extra settlment?

The ship/wagon/warrior count for scoring, for merchants etc.

The fort is, turn over a terrain card from the deck, put a piece on that terrain. The card you turn over does nothing except feed this ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pato rumura
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
donaldx wrote:
rummel17 wrote:

The ship/wagon/warrior count for scoring, for merchants etc.

The fort is, turn over a terrain card from the deck, put a piece on that terrain. The card you turn over does nothing except feed this ability.

What if I turn over a card and then think I do not want to place a settlement, because it is not the card I expected/wanted. Do I still have to place the settlement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
rummel17 wrote:
What if I turn over a card and then think I do not want to place a settlement, because it is not the card I expected/wanted. Do I still have to place the settlement?

Yes. Using the ability is optional, but once you decide to use the ability, you do the whole thing, even if you don't like the terrain you turn over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
rummel17 wrote:

Yes. Using the ability is optional, but once you decide to use the ability, you do the whole thing, even if you don't like the terrain you turn over.

And in the rare case that the terrain you reveal is unplayable, do you do the same process as with the basic rule for an unplayable terrain for your 3 mandatory placements? (I.e. permanently discard the (currently) unplayable card out of the game and draw a new one?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
russ wrote:
And in the rare case that the terrain you reveal is unplayable, do you do the same process as with the basic rule for an unplayable terrain for your 3 mandatory placements? (I.e. permanently discard the (currently) unplayable card out of the game and draw a new one?)

I going to go with no. Nothing about the rulebook text suggests that it lets you do anything if there are no empty spots on that terrain (something I've never seen, so this isn't something to lose sleep over), and nothing suggests that this ability is in any way connected with your basic 3 placements.

If you turn over Desert and there are no empty Desert spots, you don't get to place a settlement. It's similar to if you have an Oasis and there are no empty Desert spots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
If you turn over Desert and there are no empty Desert spots, you don't get to place a settlement. It's similar to if you have an Oasis and there are no empty Desert spots.

That seems reasonable!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.