Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
But please don't call me Jerry.
badge
At one time, I didn't really like Power Grid so Ted made my piece a Power Grid piece.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gord,

Does Aphrodite's power require that a winning move still be "near" one of the Aphrodite pieces? I played a 3-player game where this came up tonight, though it turned out to be moot (I ended up "near" one of the Aphrodite pieces anyway).

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More power questions
I was also going to ask this. More generally, can you win before the end of your turn? Can you win on someone else's turn, Dionysus aside?

The rules state that you win by climbing up to the third level. Pan wins by jumping down two levels. Eros wins by bringing two control markers adjacent on the same level. Well, what if you are forced to do one of these action, say by Apollo or Ares (I don't have the original card, but based on the ZoG text, at least one of these possibilities is a legal situation). If these don't count as wins, then they are very effective tactics to prevent winning.

Hermes may move twice before placing a tile or dome. Can he climb one level per move, or a total of at most one level?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Gordon Hamilton
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
texasjdl wrote:
Hi Gord,
Does Aphrodite's power require that a winning move still be "near" one of the Aphrodite pieces? I played a 3-player game where this came up tonight, though it turned out to be moot (I ended up "near" one of the Aphrodite pieces anyway).
Thanks in advance!

A piece cannot end its turn (even a winning turn) far from Aphrodite if it started its turn near Aphrodite. Anybody whose ever been in love should know that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Gordon Hamilton
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
I was also going to ask this. More generally, can you win before the end of your turn? Can you win on someone else's turn, Dionysus aside?

No, the rules say you have to step up to the third level. This implies an active not passive role in winning. Let us extend that theme to all of the powers. Do you agree?

mlvanbie wrote:
If these don't count as wins, then they are very effective tactics to prevent winning.

Yes - I think that is an interesting way to thwart somebody - that's why I'm in favour of the above rule.

mlvanbie wrote:
Hermes may move twice before placing a tile or dome. Can he climb one level per move, or a total of at most one level?

Hermes may move twice and each move allows him to move up at most one level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games by Gord! wrote:
mlvanbie wrote:

No, the rules say you have to step up to the third level. This implies an active not passive role in winning. Let us extend that theme to all of the powers. Do you agree?

I'm happy with all of the clarifications in your post. Where the situations have come up, I have played as you suggested, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Whoops! Think that stuffs up my zillions implementation... the basic win condition is simply to have a piece on the third level. Not easy to fix without degrading the AI performance, either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Gordon Hamilton
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrraow wrote:
Whoops! Think that stuffs up my zillions implementation... the basic win condition is simply to have a piece on the third level. Not easy to fix without degrading the AI performance, either

Stephen,

I consider neither chess nor go pure strategy games since at world class level much preparation time is spent MEMORIZING opening moves and tactical shots. In 100 years, my vision for a Santorini world championship is that the top two players are shown new god powers just before their game.

So, don't get too fixated on an official list of godly powers. Of course, in the short term there will be such a list, but do not worry if your excellent Zillions implementation deviates...

Gord!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.