Popular Tags: Gnomad [+] [View All]
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to start a gaming group in my area. So I'm attempting having a gameday at the Gnomad Coffee House in Maquoketa. I am committing to be there from 1pm-5pm. If there is a good response, I will stay longer. I plan on bring quite a few games in my collection. Everyone is welcome.

Let me know either here or through geekmail if you have any questions, need directions, can bring games, or want to make sure I bring something specific from my collection.

It would be nice to know how many here are interested. Please post or geekmail if you are interested in attending, even if you are not able to on this date. I know I will have to try for a while before I can develop a regular group.

I apologize for the short notice and thank you for checking this out.

-Mike Schmidt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was longer than 4 hours of game playing, I'd be tempted... Unfortunately, I'm attending one of my daughter's school functions on February 4, so it wouldn't work anyway.

I hope you get a good turnout and have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah this one is a bit shorter, but if the turnout is decent then I will try and stay longer. I have a 1 year old so I need to work that out with my wife. I will try to have a longer day for the next one which will probably be in March.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Bornmueller
United States
Saint Anthony
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How far is Maquoketa from Ames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hoping to make the first inaugural Gnomad game day. However, my Saturday is booked with kids activities in the morning and a meeting for school in the afternoon.

Pick a date in March soon (could I suggest March 11 or March 18?) and I'll plan on driving up with TheCat if he is available and a trunk full of games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woodburn
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'd like to come, but I have to work that day and won't be done before 7 pm. My weekend time starts to free up in March, though, so I'll keep an eye out for further announcements. GL and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Urbandale
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Too far from Ames, it looks like its just north of Davenport. Does anyone know of a Des Moines / Ames groupninja? Thanks.

Tim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are regular game nights at Mayhem Comics in both Ames and Des Moines.

http://www.mayhemcomics.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll figure out which day in March(11th or 18th) will work and let everyone know. I'll try and set it up for something like 8-10 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The day went well. Since I'm trying to "grow" a local game group, I expected non-gamers and would-be gamers to be the main attendees, which is what I got. I made a couple mistakes of not getting the word out earlier, and scheduling a day when a musician was playing in the evening. But we had about 10 people playing games, which I was happy with for a first game day.

I and one other player were there when the event started so we played a 2-player game of Carcassonne with Inns & Cathedrals. Another player showed up and learned how to play during the first game so we played another this time also using The River. Then, a couple more came in and learned so it was followed by another game. I decided that I was done playing Carc and proposed Formula De. At first, everyone agreed. But after I expained the rules(Basic only), somehow a couple of players thought it sounded too complicated(?!). I didn't push. I'll try to get them to play it next time. One other player brought a couple of games...LOTR Monopoly, and Risk(ugh...). A couple of players wanted to play Risk(w/ Mission cards). I decided that they played my game I'll play theirs. Luckily, I was able to finish my mission cards quickly, ending the game in 4 turns.

There wasn't much variety in what was played, but most of the players were not familiar with anything I had, and time was an issue because of the musician. I told them that the next day would be on March 11th, and invited them to come back. The important thing is that everyone enjoyed the event and were interested in coming again. A couple people also want to buy Carcassonne so I'll have someone to split shipping with on my next order(hopefully next month). I'm gonna try and catch a couple players and try and teach them a couple more games before the next gameday, in hopes that I can avoid Risk next time. I'm also gonna work a bit harder trying to spread the word a bit more, a bit earlier.

-Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Woodburn
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Well done, Mike. Sounds like it went great. Have you thought about any games that are sort of Risk-like, but a step in the right direction to move the new players along? Nexus Ops, perhaps?

GL and GG this weekend! I wish I could come and lend some support, but I'll be at a Game of Thrones gathering/tournament in Chicago.

Will you be down at Chris & Edie's later this month?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Schmidt
United States
Maquoketa
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. I will be there on 3-18.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GameNight Coordinator
United States
Waukee
Iowa
flag msg tools
mb
See http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/127654

warmachine519 wrote:
Too far from Ames, it looks like its just north of Davenport. Does anyone know of a Des Moines / Ames groupninja? Thanks.

Tim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.