Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know of a better combat system for this game? The 1d6 table cross reference is a tad to simplistic.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Konieczka
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The new FFG Warrior Knights features a diceless combat system that involves some decision making. Unfortunately, you will have to wait a couple of months before the game is released...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawk wrote:
Does anyone know of a better combat system for this game? The 1d6 table cross reference is a tad to simplistic.

Thanks.

I feel the combat system does exactly what it needs to in a game focussing on strategy and politics; but even if you don't buy the new version it shouldn't be too difficult to come up with an alternative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Rauscher
New Zealand
Mount Victoria
Wellington
flag msg tools
And, speaking of the new version coming out, if you want to look at its combat system, you can go to FFG and download the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bradford
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Warrior Knights is my favorite game. I started playing it back in 1985 when it came out. At that time I was in the 6th grade. My group and I played it with a passion, making many supplements for it, including a Northern and Southern map, and a new combat system.

As the years went by we dropped and added more rules. After High School we all seperated. I have only played a few games of Warrior Knights since, but it still remains my favorite.

The other day I came across my first copy of the game in storage. Inside there was a combat system that I had worked up that was used by our group. I would like to share that here.

LAND COMBAT
When opposing sides meet, they will each roll a number of d6's based on their army strenghts.

Sequence:
1) Both sides simultaneously roll 1d6 for every 50 troops of regulars, office troops or mercenaries, and for every 100 points of Town Levies. They also roll a number of d6's equal to the strength of any artillery.

2) Regulars and Office troops hit on a 5 or 6, while all others hit on a 6.

3) Each hit inflicts casualties on the enemy forces. For each hit remove 50 casualties on any troops other than levies, which lose 100 per hit. Any troops may be taken as hits. An artillery piece is worth 50 casualties.

4) Determine the victor after a single round. The side that inflicted the most hits wins the combat and retreats the loser one space. In case of a tie, then both sides must retreat one space.

5) The victor rolls 1d6 for each group of 50 hits (100 for levy) inflicted on the enemy. On a roll of 1 or 2 any regulars or office troops are captured, on a 1-3 any mercenaries and artillery are captured, and levies are captured on a 1-4.

6) The victor rolls for recovery. For every group of 50 troops lost (100 for levy), roll 1d6. On a roll of 1-3 the troops recover.

7) The victor incorporates the captured and recovered troops back in their army. Troops of the same nationality may be combined, but no troop card can be above 300 men.

8) Any Royal pretender with the losing force is captured.

SIEGE
During each turn the besieger must decide how they want to conduct the round of siege. There are 3 options: 1) Starve them, 2) Bombard them, 3) Assault them.

Starvation - This is conducted like the normal siege rules in the game. However, the besieged player may bombard (see below)

Bombard - To bombard the city the besieger gives up the right to move his or her pawn(s) one up on the siege turn track. Instead, a number of d6's equal to the strength of any artillery is rolled. For each 6 the city's intrinsic strength is reduced. Following the full reduction of the city's intrinsic strength and any garrison counters, then any defending Pawns are affected. Troops affected by bombardment do not roll for recovery. However, the besieged player may also bombard (see below). It is possible that siege odds may change after a bombarment.

Assault - The besieger gives up their right to advance on the siege turn track and instead makes a massive attack on the city. The combat will be handled much like land combat, however, two hits are needed to inflict 50 damage on the defender.

1) Both sides simultaneously roll 1d6 for every 50 troops of regulars, office troops or mercenaries, and for every 100 points of Town Levies, city intrinsic troops, and garrison troops. They also roll a number of d6's equal to the strength of any artillery present.

2) Regulars and Office troops hit on a 5 or 6, while all others hit on a 6.

3) The attacker scores one hit for every two hits rolled, while each hit by the defender inflicts one hit. Each hit inflicts 50 casualties on any troops other than town levies, intrinsic city strength and garrison counters, which remove 100 per hit. Any troops may be taken as hits. An artillery piece is worth 50 casulaties.

All casualties sustained by the defender must be placed in a pile. Mark city intrinsic depletion with markers and reduce garrison counters if needed.

4) The attacker decides if they will assault again. If so then proceed with step 1 again, if not then proceed only with step 5a. If the defending city is wiped out then continue on with step 5b.

5a) Check to see if the attacker can maintain the siege. If not, then move the force off the siege track into the surroundng area. The siege has been broken. There is no recovery for failed assaults.

The defender rolls for recovery. For each group of 50 it (100 for others) roll 1d6; on a 1 that group recovers.

5b) The attacker rolls for recovery. For every 50 troops lost (or every 100 levies), roll 1d6. On a roll of 1-2 the troops recover. The besieged player does not roll for recovery.

6) The attacker rolls for prisoners, rolling 1d6 for each group of 50 hits (or 100 levy hits) inflicted on the enemy. On a roll of 1 any regulars or office troops are captured, on a 1-2 any mercenaries and artillery are captured, and on a roll of 1-3 any levies are captured. Garrison troops, and intrinsic city troops are never captured.

7) The victor incorporates the captured and recovered troops back in their army. Troops of the same nationality may be combined, but no troop card can be above 300 men.

8) Any Royal pretender with the losing force is captured.

RELIEF of a SIEGE
If a defender attempts a sortie or to relive a siege with an outside force, then combat is done like land combat. However, only actual troops inside the city may attack; intrinsic troops, and garrison counters are not allowed.

Notes:
1. Captured regulars and office troops follow the normal rules, and must be ransomed off or executed.

2. Levy troops are untrained rabble, and so only hit on very high numbers. For each hit they take, 100 men (the entire card value) is lost. During siege, city intrinsic strength and garrison counters are considered rabble as well.

3. Defender Bombardment - the defender is allowed to fire back any artillery present in a city. For each, roll a number of d6's equal to their level. This is done after any rolls for starvation or bombarment are done. It is not simultaneous.

4. Troops lost by bombarding can be removed and do not need to be taken account of.

5. With regards to assaults, the attacker's troops lost will remain lost if the assualt is called off. A called off assault also allows possible recovery buy the defenders. This is why they must make a crucial decision to break off any assualt.

ADDITIONAL RULES
1. Cities will rejuventate 100 men lost per game turn.

2. The Chairman decides if they will auction off artillery. If they do so then one per player (drawn randomly) is added to the mercenaries to be auctioned.

There are four types of artillery:
Catapult - strength 1
Trebuchet - strength 2
Light Bombards - strength 3
Heavy Bombards - strength 4

MAKING NEW COUNTERS and CARDS
Please use this as a guide when making your new counters and cards.

1. Troop cards - this is the hardest part to do. What I did was scan in a 250 strength card for each nationality. Using MS paint, I manipulated the troop number and costs section and made "change" cards. I made these in values of 250, 200, 150, 100, and 50. I made a point to make sure the upkeep costs were done correctly ($2.5 per 50 men).

Instead, you may want to put the cards in plastic sleves and write on them with a grease pen.

Now when a unit took hits I replaced the card with the appropriate one. I made a point to toss the old valued card in the box. It is now possible that troop cards can be completely eliminated now.

2. City Intrinsic Strengths - For this I made small square counters with values from 50 to 550. As a city lost men from bombardment or assault I would substitute the counter over the original city value. When it would rejuvenate I would repeat this process.

3. Artillery - I made small 1" x 1" counters with a crude cut-and-paste picture of the weapon on it with the name and a small red number equal to the strength.

I do hope that this makes your game more enjoyable. My group loved it. Though it has been some time since I played with it, I believe all the mechanics worked out well and we had nom trouble. If you do have some, then email me at BBradford1973@aol.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.