Subject: Through the Desert edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Welcome Rolling Stones
Latvia
Bullshit
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am considering buying this game. Is the Kosmos edition the same quality as the Fantasy Flight Games edition? Are they exactly the same except for the rule book?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The box size is a bit different READ: Smaller

But it's all the same otherwise. The only reason to buy the original is if you're a collector or stickler for having the original version. But as the new one is cheaper I don't see how it makes any difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest Fantasy Flight edition is just fine. Smaller box, good price, nice artwork and great components.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eager
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
DBA Junkie
badge
"A Book should serve as the Ax for the frozen sea within us."-- KAFKA
mbmbmbmbmb
limecamel I've seen and played both the German Kosmos and FFG editions. The FFG board is slightly (barely) smaller, but is brighter and more colorful than the Kosmos one. Kosmos caravan and oasis (palm tree) tiles are much larger, though, almost twice the size of FFG's. Also the Kosmos edition has distinctly-shaped point-tiles (the one-two-three point ones), while FFG's are all round. Camels and riders are identical, as far as I could tell. limecamel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
[From a similar thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/97557]

Original German: larger box (much larger, needlessly so), better graphics on the board than the first US edition, water tiles are shaped (i.e. not circles).

First US edition: poor board graphics, cheaper tiles, same ruleset as German edition, circular water tiles, smaller box.

Second US edition: better board graphics (almost as good as the original German edition), smaller box than even the first US edition, high quality tiles, circular water tiles still (no big deal), critical rules changes (for the worse, IMHO).

All share the same plastic pieces.

My recommendation is to get the US edition unless the German one is significantly cheaper, and space is not an issue. Make sure it is the second edition, though; the first is not worth it. However, play with the original rules, not the revised ones. They really stink!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.