Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrik Strömer
Sweden
Lidingo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played that much. Half a dozen or so IRL and two games on BSW. The two latter caused me a bad mood since I lost with 48 to 74 or so. I was unhelpfully lost somewhere, and I did not notice where, when or why?

It was not that someone moved the provost in a particular bad way. I just kept on lagging behind. Nobody wanted to do the aftertalk with me so I now wonder if there are any special mistakes that an unexperienced player might make.

The IRL games were tight, but I guess it is because we all make the same kind of mistakes...

Anybody can help?

/Strömer, from Sweden

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's quite hard to know what make you win or not because there are so many small decisions that lead to victory. Maybe you didn't feel like doing a mistake but some small choices were not so optimized. Did you play 2 player games?
I found people on the BSW were playing differently from my usual group of gamers (and sometimes a bit guided).

The building track is almost always used, then if you're not careful to bring the mason, lawyer and architect, or go yourself in the building track, you will stay behind. I discovered a so-called combo with the church being residential and built again. I have always played games that were ressources rich so the building track is less useful in that case. I think the money track is the easiest track if you manage to build the right buildings...

Depending of the numbers of players, there are building you should take care of and not let any monopoly to others... Sorry it's still general but hard to tell without seeing actually one of your game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm by no means an expert, but the one advice that I can give you is: never run out of money! On the beggining of a turn you should always have more than 5 deniers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Bergbau wrote:
I haven't played that much.

I'd say that was your reason right there.

Seriously. I played a few real life games to the extent that I began to consider myself quite skilled at Caylus. Yet since I moved onto BSW I have been thoroughly destroyed in every game I've played.

Actually I came 2nd in the last 4-player, but the winner was a good 30 points ahead of me. This is a deep game, that you could probably spend a lifetime getting better at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am no gift at this yet, bit I win some and lose some. Also, I only play 3+ players and dynamics change dramatically at different player numbers.

I would re-iterate the money pitch the first responder stated, and I would add that Resources are King. Regardless of strategy, builder, castle, favor, or hybrid.. resources are the beginning and the end. If your opponents are consistently coming away with more goodies, you will just never get traction and will steadily fall behind. A lot of times, denying opponents resource surpluses is as important as creating those surpluses for yourself. The resources you are scarce in limit your options, the resources others are short in limit theirs.

There are, however, a lot of ways to convert resources to other resources or money.. so make sure you get at least your fair share. Effectively converting resources to Prestige Points and outchoosing opponents through the many options for conversion then becomes the next layer of learning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max G
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape, South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gary

The same thing happened to me. Had played about 8 games in real life with reasonable success but since on BSW havent won a game yet out of about 10 I have played

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bove
United States
East Lansdowne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrik:

I'll be happy to beat you... ...play you and then discuss the result afterward. My BSW name is Montu.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
montu wrote:
Patrik:

I'll be happy to beat you... ...play you and then discuss the result afterward. My BSW name is Montu.

laugh

unless of course I am also in the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you never win?

Because your opponents always score more victory points than you.

Hehe, I couldnt resist.

Seriously:

Were you getting at least as many resource cubes as the other players? If you werent, this will make you lose, since its all about cubes.

Were you getting at least as many favors as the other players? If you werent, its extremely hard to win. To get more favors, get more cubes, and time the castle well to win favors.

Were you spending some favors on the building track? If not, the buildings that allow you to do these actions that others are using the build track for must get built. In 2er, is is essential to advance the build track.

Were you entering rounds with less than $6? If so, you are going to miss opportunities that round. Ideally, you really want to start the round with like 8-9$ at least. Good ways to get money are to take the 3 money, use favors, and use the sell a cube for $6. And of course, build green buildigns if possible.

In a multiplayer game: were you getting at least your fair share at the top of the turn order? If not, you need to take the stables once you start falling down in the order.

Those are some ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cauet
France
Paris
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alexfrog wrote:

Were you spending some favors on the building track? If not, the buildings that allow you to do these actions that others are using the build track for must get built. In 2er, is is essential to advance the build track.

I disagree with this point (even in 2er): when I read that, I feel like everybody should play exactly the same way, and for me, it's boring. It's perfectly possible to beat the building track (prestige track is an option and many people have done it with success). I have done game (2er or more) when all players were on building tracks and nobody was: it is just a different feeling. The important point is to fight on every favor, and not let the opponent getting a monopoly (like being the only one to do prestige building) when you didn't plan it. Timing also is important and take great care of the advance of the bailiff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osidarta wrote:

I disagree with this point (even in 2er): when I read that, I feel like everybody should play exactly the same way, and for me, it's boring. It's perfectly possible to beat the building track (prestige track is an option and many people have done it with success). I have done game (2er or more) when all players were on building tracks and nobody was: it is just a different feeling. The important point is to fight on every favor, and not let the opponent getting a monopoly (like being the only one to do prestige building) when you didn't plan it. Timing also is important and take great care of the advance of the bailiff.

I wasnt saying everyone should do the same thing. Just that using the building track is very powerful and will tend to give you and advantage. In 2 player, I have found ist so important to at least spend some favors on the build track (certainly you dont have to spend all of them, and how many will depend on the situation). I have found that in 2er game where one uses the build track and one doesn,t and both get a reasonable number of favors, the one on the build track gets a large advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.