Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Professional creative visual communication: www.universalhead.com
badge
Game summaries and reference sheets: www.headlesshollow.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing my little series on Arkham Horror component redesigns, let's have a look at the monster chits. There's a whole lot of little symbols and modifiers on these babies, and I for one find them a little confusing in the heat of combat. Plus, if I want to evade a beastie during a combat, I have to flip it over again. And why have a bunch of tiny icons when a number will suffice? So here's my take on a new, improved, monster chit (stats don't match game stats but are for example purposes only):

Once again, my greatest respects still go to the FFG designers, who still did a wonderful job on Arkham Horror and FFG games in general!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple.
Effective.
Perfect.
FFG take note!

goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Nice work! thumbsup

I like it, even if I've no problems with the real chits.

The only thing I don't like of your version is the red "1" near the drop of blood to express toughness. I prefer the drops alone (with no numbers) as in the real chits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For consistency, I'd make the drop a bit bigger, write the number in it and place it in line with the stamina/sanity loss icons. Other than that: very nice work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stargaze wrote:
For consistency, I'd make the drop a bit bigger, write the number in it and place it in line with the stamina/sanity loss icons. Other than that: very nice work.

I did that originally, but then I wanted to distinguish between the 'number in symbol' graphics above - which are how many sanity or stamina points you lose if you fail that check - and the fact that Toughness is a completely different thing - the difficulty rating of your combat test. If I did them in the same style and all in a vertical row it would imply that the toughness rating was also a number of 'something' you lost.

That was my reasoning anyway! Thanks for the positive comments folks, it was an enjoyable little design exercise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, perhaps it would be better to show Toughness as icons, to really distinguish it from the Horror and Combat checks. To whit:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is great. So we can expect the reprints from you.....when?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahh, convince FFG to give me the budget, and I'm your man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Peters
Germany
Boeblingen
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my reasoning is: the sanity/stamina loss is the damage done by the monster, so to say a fixed number of successes. The toughness is the number of successes you have to roll to kill the monster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice ideas, and very nice work!
thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Iennaco
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
Actually, perhaps it would be better to show Toughness as icons, to really distinguish it from the Horror and Combat checks.[/IMG]

Now it's perfect!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Universal Head
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I printed it out, and yes, the text is a little bit smaller - still readable, but then I have good eyes. I think I could fiddle with it more to make room for slightly larger text though - decrease the modifier size a bit, lose the fluff text (which is only on some of the chits anyway). You get the idea.

Now, I wonder if I should have a look at those Gate encounter cards ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniversalHead wrote:
Continuing my little series on Arkham Horror component redesigns, let's have a look at the monster chits. There's a whole lot of little symbols and modifiers on these babies, and I for one find them a little confusing in the heat of combat.

Great ideas. I am glad to hear I'm not the only one who had trouble with those chits, especially during the first teaching/learning games.

The other thing I didn't like in the new game was the board! I'm sure it could have been reworked to either make the road connections nicer/clearer.

Also, am I the only one who felt that with the massive size of the board, and those cards that go with certain areas, that they could have made it so the area encounter card piles go on the board in their respective areas? There are so many other card piles around the board already.

PS. Isn't Fantasy Flight hiring right now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udu Tont
Estonia
Tartu/Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like graphic representation of sanity/stamina more. Other than that, your design is superior to the original. (I liked your mythos cards even more)

BTW, distinguishing circles and hexagons is real pain when moving monsters. Also, monsters do not stand up enough on the board. Both of these issues should be addressed. So, please get hired by FFG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.