Popular Tags: [View All]
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone ever seen a game where the board is not really a board.. but is a book?

If you have then which one so that I may check it out.

If you have not then I'm afraid I can't really explain what I mean. There isn't a specific thing in mind here. I'm just idea gathering for an idea I have for a new game.

Laters and thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There is I game I have heard of (though the name is excaping me) where you use a bookmark as your playing piece and you may use any book to play. I think there is some dice involved and you move your bookmark around in the book, I think. Maybe someone else can help out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you looking along the lines of Ace Of Aces / Lost Worlds / Warhammer Warriors?

Or, yeah, there is a wargame series that uses books and bookmarks to determine army locations. I don't recall the name either at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games are kind of like the stories/books they derive from:

Lord of the Rings
Beowulf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fullerbd wrote:
There is I game I have heard of (though the name is excaping me) where you use a bookmark as your playing piece and you may use any book to play. I think there is some dice involved and you move your bookmark around in the book, I think. Maybe someone else can help out.

That sounds a bit like the Fighting Fantasy books to me, although they weren't just "any book", they were specially made for that purpose. I can't see a way of playing a game with a set of dice and a copy of "Jane Eyre", somehow, though I'll be intrigued if someone can provide further details.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zom Bee
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
Anyone ever seen a game where the board is not really a board.. but is a book?

If you have then which one so that I may check it out.

If you have not then I'm afraid I can't really explain what I mean. There isn't a specific thing in mind here. I'm just idea gathering for an idea I have for a new game.

Laters and thanks

This might be the opposite of what you mean, but there is a geeklist:
Boardgames that are found in books
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist.php3?action=view&listi...

I assume you don't mean like the "Fighting Fantasy" series - books that are games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave boulton
United Kingdom
etchingham
E. Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ihave somethgin called a "Folio game" it is an about record lp size box that folds out into 3 different boardgames concerning the fall of rome, is this what you mean?

Walker Red Eye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Or perhaps you are referring to Warchon -- the game from Z-Man where players place bookmarks, representing characters, in the pages of a book, and shuffle forward and backward using the book itself as the battlefield. I have not played this, but one of my GeekBuddies has it on his game shelf, and I'm dying to learn more.

Warchon
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4508

From the game page description:

This new concept in gaming can be played anywhere and uses two main components. A book that replaces hex maps and game boards (and includes the rules and scenarios to boot). And playmarks (i.e. bookmarkers) for two armies to do battle as they move through the pages of the book.
Nothing else is needed, not dice, not even a playing surface!

In this Playmark Book Game (PBG) players become Warchons - battlelords fighting for domination of the continent of Sygillis.

You'll build and control the forces of the holy warriors of the Celestine Order or the foul creatures of the Azuthkan Horde. Cast spells, combat in various terrain and survive random events, all while vying for the title of Grand Warchon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Warechon is the first game I thought of when "board is a book" was mentioned.

In Warechon the book pages link from page to page in different ways to create a virtual board that you navigate with your bookmark armies. The bottom of the pages give a map so it isn't as confusing as it sounds (your current page is in black, reachable pages are shaded.) Some pages have special events (which occur the first time a combat result suffixed "E" occurs on that page). The units themselves are bookmarks rated for "size of army" (each page is rated for "capacity", which the army size total can't exceed), "movement" (how many pages on the map can it move), "attack strength", "defense strength" and "hits" (hit points) which are used in combat. Most units have special abilities (for example: "Celestine Crusaders: +1 CS if there is at least one 'Nether' unit in the opposing Battle Army". (CS means combat strength and affects both attack and defense, which would be listed as AS or DS individually).

There are also spells, rated for "level" (minimum spellcaster level requirement), "range" (how many pages can it reach) and "charges" (number of uses).

Both spells and army bookmarks have "activation" lines which are used to show if a bookmark has been activated this turn ("tapped" for MTG fans).

Combat itself is a matter of totaling attack strengths, subtracting defense strengths and generating a random number via an amusing "cross reference fingers" chart. (Think rock paper sissors with one to five fingers chosen each: the result is cross referenced on a table to get the "random" number.) Combat results are pretty typical wargame results, such as "AE" (attacker eliminated), "A3" (attacker loses takes three hits), "A1D2" (attacker takes one hit, defender two), "Eg" (engaged: armies must remain on this page) and "So" (standoff, no damage, but units may leave the page).

Hit points remaining on a bookmark are indicated by flipping the bookmark over and then flipping to the back of the bookmark (most units have one or two, but the Brimestone Dragon has three, for example). These flips will degrade the units stats.

The game works very well for kids in the back seat of a car or during a flight (especially during a short flight, as the "no electronics" prohibition isn't an issue). Good enough that I wouldn't give my copy up: I pack it in a zip-lock in the front of my suitcase "just in case".

The other game I think of as having a "board is a book" is Ace of Aces: the relationship of the "pieces" (aircraft) is represented by the linking of maneuver results from page to page. I actually de-constructed the maneuver pairs onto a map when I was young (to construct a physical board, draw an hexagon around a point and draw lines radiating from the central point through the corner points of the hexagon. Draw three more hexagons larger and centered on the first. You now have an "Ace of Aces" board. For each orientation and starting square the moves "map" in a very logical way. (Once you do this, the altitude rules and performance charts really come into their own.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game that comes to mind is Filthy Rich, by Richard Garfield.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/441

This uses a looseleaf binder with cards played in specific positions on the page. Depending on play, differing cards will show through to the front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow thanks for the responses.

Warchon looks kind of cool. I'm certainly never without a book myself. This may need looking into.

However, I think the sort of thing I'v got in mind is closer to filthy rich. But quite different at the same time. It seems like the concept may just be unique enough. Well, the concept is actually fairly derivitive of some card games (almost as simple as go fish) and puzzle games but the physical handling of the game (ie: the book and how it's used) would be new. I'll have to prototype it up and see if it's actually as compelling to play in the real world as it is in my head...

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a book of boards:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2883
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used the Warchon 'system' to build Dungeoneer into a book- or at least the map part of it. It's not nearly as portable as Warchon- in that you still need the rest of the cards to actually play, but it is playable in a confined space, like a plane or a train or perhaps even a car.

Basically I scanned all the maps in, used Adobe InDesign to do page layout, and turned each map location into a two-page 'spread' in the book. Each page also lists that locations special effects, and has a small compass rose that lists the page numbers of adjoining rooms. So you move from room to room by turning from page to page. The downside to this is that you have to play with the 'fixed map' variant, and shift-cards (that move map locations around) have to be taken out of the deck. The upside is that I hand-crafted all the maps, and made them 'balanced'- each quest is relatively easy/hard to fulfill, and the maps are all self-contained, but usable together (for example, all the wilderness maps are usable alone, or with each other, as written). Characters are bookmarks like in Warchon, and I use little plastic paperclips on them to track glory/peril. It's all pretty neat. I do bookbinding as a side hobby, so I printed it all out on my color laser printer, stiched them all together, and put a cover on. The book has the first five Dungeoneer sets- Tomb, Vault, City, Forest, and Desert. I finished the DTP and sewing several months before the Snow set came out, so I don't have it yet.

It's not quite professional quality, but this was my first attempt at this sort of binding, and I've rather mediocre skills as a graphic designer (this was my first DTP project- it started as a project to learn how to use InDesign). I'll post pictures at some point, but I don't think I can post the .pdf files- the set together weighs in at 250mb (lots of hi-dpi images for printing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds extremely awesome. I just picked up my first set of Dungeoneer (tomb) this last weekend. My wife and I played a very quick game (finished one quest each) to get the rules a bit before going to bed and I'm dying to play again. This variant (if it could be called such.. ) sounds very cool. It would be great to use in a bar where you want to play but you don't want to spread out and/or get beer and grease all over everything.

This is somewhat closer to what I had originally thought of when I first created the topic. But now the idea has completely gone somewhere else (as they are wont to do).

I'm thinking of a puzzle game where each player has a separate book with elements they can use to solve a certain puzzle (on cards or something?) within them. Then there is a "master" book that they place and replace these elements into in order to complete a page or sequence of pages and therefore solve their particular puzzle netting them a win.

I know all of this could easily be done on a board or even just with cards but I'm really enamored of the idea of using the book(s) as the actual playing "surface". Plus they are essential to the theme I would like to use.

I still think it would be great to use the pages as a map though..... but not for a war/dungeon game...
More like an abstract atlas. An atlas of various worlds and dimensions... or stories themselves.... and the players travel about in them rather like young Alice did on her adventures... solving puzzles and meeting strange folk all centered around the book... dynamically changing the story and thusly the map.

There's definately something there if I could just get my head around it....

...Just thinking 'out loud' now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally got around to checking out that list. There's some interesting stuff in there. Those Leonardi games look like they might be worth checking out if only for the novelty.

Though "Lost Worlds" seems like it's still going strong. Seems like a strange game to still be alive and well. But that's just my tastes. No offence to any one that likes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
I know all of this could easily be done on a board or even just with cards but I'm really enamored of the idea of using the book(s) as the actual playing "surface". Plus they are essential to the theme I would like to use.

I still think it would be great to use the pages as a map though..... but not for a war/dungeon game...
More like an abstract atlas. An atlas of various worlds and dimensions... or stories themselves.... and the players travel about in them rather like young Alice did on her adventures... solving puzzles and meeting strange folk all centered around the book... dynamically changing the story and thusly the map.

There's definately something there if I could just get my head around it....

...Just thinking 'out loud' now.

Think away, and the louder the better.

I like books. So much so that I've gone by the nick' 'Don Quixote' on various message boards and email for years and years now. I love various kinds of interactive and post-modern fiction. I like games too, obviously, and your idea sounds like a crazy meld of all this stuff- it sounds really neat. If you could come up with a concept/execution that was also understandable/playable by children, that would be awesome- if it could capture that 'Alice' quality of accessability by children, but still complex/deep enough for adults. Are you thinking of a 'text' book or 'picture' book? I have this image in my head of the Primer from Neal Stepahanson's "The Diamond Age", in a weird, (very) low-tech way, a book that constantly re-invents itself as the readers experience it. Something like a book-version of the card game 'Once Upon a Time'... If the game could be played by two or more people from one copy, and if each player could have his own, different edition while playing. And perhaps they trade books in the middle, moving through each other's story...

Now I'm thinking outloud.

Nearly every project I start is some way of combining the two- the Dungeoneer project is the closest I've come to a whole-cloth, 'all me' from beginning to end project, though. Each project teaches me something about how books are built, mechanics are designed, graphics and art are laid-out (and if I'm lucky, all three). I like the idea of hand-making books/games (nearly all my game ideas/projects involve a nice book in some way), and selling/trading them away. It's good to have (most of) a lifetime ahead of me, to figure all this stuff out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've absolutely got an idea for a playtestable game here... i just need to do a mock up and get the gang together..

other than that... I just finished (like two minutes ago) watching Baron Munchausen (terry gilliam) again.

this sort of circular story telling (think "rounds" in musical terms [sumer is i cumen in] ) that overlap and return to themselves and dynamically alter their own past and future..

That's the sort of thing that I want to see in a game.

If someone else can do it.. great. If I can do it... so much the better.

Help me with this. We can't but all win if someone is able to break this wall.

Do you see it? Can you feel it? Or do I just sound like some sort of hippy idiot to you?

(hint: i'm not. this is a great idea. get on board now...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Damn hippies.

I kid, I kid.

Sounds interesting- it seems like the easy way to go would be to prototype it in a non-book form (cards or something), to provide yourself with proof-of-concept. If that works, you could bust out all the stops for the whole thing, and re-work it into a book. If you need any help or feedback, playtesting, design, whatever, feel free to drop me a line.

--justin
Gamemechanic at gmail dot com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Klestadt
United States
Bellaire
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also Pocket Football, similar to Ace of Aces but with football plays (offense and defense) instead of airplane maneuvers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.