Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin McF
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My next game purchase is going to be this game (for those who don't know Durch die Wuste is the original German edition). I have noticed that a few retailers have the original. Is the original any different? Did the artwork or material change at all with the new publisher? Should I just go with TtD because it is the same? I have heard that there are some big differences on some games between the original and the U.S. publication and I am wondering if this is one of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Togu Oppusunggu
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I have Durch die Wuste only, but my impression is that the bigger board is worth it for aesthetic reasons. You could just incorporate the rule change from Fantasy Flight if you wanted to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cross
United States
Atkinson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
The only real difference is that the German edition has a larger box and board, so if you don't have a lot of room for game storage I'd get the English edition. Otherwise, get whichever is cheaper so that you can buy another game as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Original German: larger box (much larger, needlessly so), better graphics on the board than the first US edition, water tiles are shaped (i.e. not circles).

First US edition: poor board graphics, cheaper tiles, same ruleset as German edition, circular water tiles, smaller box.

Second US edition: better board graphics (almost as good as the original German edition), smaller box than even the first US edition, high quality tiles, circular water tiles still (no big deal), critical rules changes (for the worse, IMHO).

All share the same plastic pieces.

My recommendation is to get the US edition unless the German one is significantly cheaper, and space is not an issue. Make sure it is the second edition, though; the first is not worth it. However, play with the original rules, not the revised ones. They really stink!

Also, please see thread at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/97501

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Stephens
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the same question about 6 months ago. I decided to spend the extra for the German edition, primarily for the bigger board and I haven't regretted it. It's a great game, don't think you could go wrong with either edition however.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eden politte
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
The other difference that I've seen is that the German box comes with a white cloth drawstring bag which holds all the camels. It's not quite as useful as it could be (I find it much easier to store the colors of camels in separate baggies) but could easily be reused elsewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Keane
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked myself the same question just a few days ago when I saw Durch die Wüste at Boardsandbits.com for only $20!

I decided to get the Kosmos edition since the only real differences were the rules and the artwork. I figure I can easily use other rules, but it'd be difficult to substitute the art.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sato
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JeremiahClayton wrote:
I prefer the Fantasy Flight rules.. because they can result in a situation where a player will not prevent an opponent from enclosing an area.. because in allowing the opponent to enclose the area.. the opponent will be unable to score for the largest caravan of that color. It's only an opinion.

It is possible (rare, but it does happen) where the only possible play for a player late in the game would be to add camels to an area that he already has enclosed, not because he is protecting a longest camel train but because it is his only legal play. Under the new rules, playing in an enclosed area is no longer a legal play and there are no provisions as to what happens when a player has no legal play remaining. While it's easy to say that the player should just pass so that the game can go on, it can be argued that the game should end right then and there (since there is no provision for a player to pass his turn).

In addition, I've chased a player's longest caravan to force him to play in an enclosed area as a valid tactic. Sometimes you're best move is to force your opponent into making a move that doesn't benefit him.

Anyway, that's my opinion. It's not better or worse than your opinion, merely different. I just wanted a chance to present the arguments for this side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Rat wrote:
JeremiahClayton wrote:
I prefer the Fantasy Flight rules.. because they can result in a situation where a player will not prevent an opponent from enclosing an area.. because in allowing the opponent to enclose the area.. the opponent will be unable to score for the largest caravan of that color. It's only an opinion.

In addition, I've chased a player's longest caravan to force him to play in an enclosed area as a valid tactic. Sometimes you're best move is to force your opponent into making a move that doesn't benefit him.

Both are valid, angst-filled moments of the game. I prefer the original one, but YMMV (and does, it seems).

I find it hard to believe, though, that Knizia would allow such an elegantly designed game to lock up under fairly routine circumstances, though, so I cannot help but speculate that the rules changes were made by someone else. If I had to guess, I would say someone who learned the game incorrectly, then preferred that play to the "correct" play. Why not just offer it as a variant, though? As I said, it's all pure speculation on my part, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sato
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
JeremiahClayton wrote:
"In addition, for the first round of leader placement only, no player may place a caravan leader riding a camel of the same color already placed by another player."

This can result in a situation in which the only legal caravan leader Player 5 can place is the one removed from the game.

I don't have the Kosmos version of the game, but my rules from the first FFG edition state: "In the first positioning round, each player must position a camel-rider with a different shaded camel, if possible." The translation here on BGG by KC Picha says the same thing. You are only required to place a different colored camel-rider if you still can do so, and the restriction does not apply if you can't. Therefore, no possible lock-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Chavis
United States
Wanatah
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the Kosmos edition - In der ersten Einsetzrund muß jeder spieler einen Kamelreiter mit einer unterschiedlichen Kamelfarbe setzen, falls ihm dies möglich ist. Wenn jeder Spieler alle seine Kamelreiter auf den Plan gebracht hat, sind die Einsetzrunden beendet.

Using google translate - In first use approximately each player must set a camel rider with a different camel color, if this is possible for him. If each player brought all its to camel riders on the plan, the using rounds are terminated.

Hope/Maybe this helps? I bought the german version from Boards and Bits because I wanted the larger board. (and I know a little german - enough to find the line in the rules, but not enough to translate them with any accuracy)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.