Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our second meeting will be this Friday (Feb. 3, 2006) at 8pm-1am in New Brunswick. The address of Sanctuary Cafe is:

135 Hamilton St.
New Brunswick, NJ 08901
Tel: 732-846-3393

From the Google Map it looks like the cafe is close to the intersection of Hamilton St. and Easton Ave. Gene suggested to find parking on Hamilton St. and if that doesn't work to try the nearest lot, Ferren Deck (off of Church St, will cost about $5.50 to $6.50).

All are welcome to join us.

As far as what we will play, I am flexible. My collection is up to date so you can look and ask me to bring whatever. I am a bit burnt out on SoC and Power Grid, so I'd prefer not to play those, though I can still bring them for others to play. I would like to play Caylus and Byzantium sometime soon. I will also bring some smaller card games.

The previous thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/95186

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliezer Silver
United States
Manlapan
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Central New Jersey Gaming Group - 2nd meeting - Come&Pla
Look Mom, i got my own Geek List: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/13059

Put your likes and dislikes there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I may surprise you guys....just maybe.

If I don't go to our friends house on Friday, I may come up, but I won't know until Friday. *If* I can come, I can bring Kardinal und Koenig,which does not see too much action....

Also, if any gamer is up @ Rutgers on Thursday around lunchtime - Cook/Douglass campus - let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and blue. I still have Hansa, which remains unplayed to date. In case you want to meet for lunch @ B&N one day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys. It sounds like you really have pulled this thing together! I will be in Clinton NJ for two weeks starting on March 8th. I go from Clinton to Eatontown to visit family members, so I will surely manage to catch up with you sometime over the two weeks. I look forward to meeting everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey lauramath good luck in the WW game....I am out, too bad I couldn't play today. I had a lot of things to say

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Ksenzakovic
United States
Somerville
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
soblueWell after all my visits to New Brunswick during the week to get the information it's not looking good for me to make this session. My son's bb game got bumped to a later time so if I do show up it will be later than 9. Even if I can't get there until much later, I'd like to show up just to see how everything is going / went. Here's hoping everything goes well!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zurfluh
United States
Cranbury
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am out for tonight. Have our Friday Night family games night.

On a happier note - just picked up War of the Ring @ Barnes and Noble.

50% off and then the member's discount.....came to less than 30 bucks....couldn't resist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliezer Silver
United States
Manlapan
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still in, bringing my wife as well. Anyone else but me and Blue going?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Albala
United States
Unspecified
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The three of you get to meet the new guy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue will bring another Princeton gamer, Erin. She's a very smart gamer, so watch out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Chi
United States
Metuchen
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But...but...stargate and BSG are going to be on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I did with the first meeting, I will record my impressions of our meeting here. Our second meeting was very nice. I finally got to meet Mitch37, rodeodoctor and his wife, and XIII. Erin and I arrived at Sanctuary in New Brunswick right around 8pm and Mitch37 was already there. We chatted a bit and after rodeodoctor and his wife (do let me know if your wife would mind if I use her name or if she has a BGG name... I feel weird writing "his wife" all the time!!!) arrived. We played a quick game of Coloretto. Coloretto is one of my favorite fillers. The game was over before I got any good number of cards. I seemed to have really bad choices the whole time (which usually means that the other players were doing a very good job) and even my 4 +2 cards did not save me from destruction! I think rodeodoctor won by one point (I never remember these things, so correct me if I am wrong...) Then we proceeded to play PR. I had not played PR in a loooong time and Erin had only played once before. I must say that as the least experienced player she did a very good job and, well, I sucked monkey balls! Somehow I cannot do anything with tobacco. I got stuck with a lot of tobacco, but unable to really sell it, EVAR! I tried to recover by shipping my tobacco with my wharf, but it was too late to stage a come back... In the meanwhile, Mitch37 got the coffee trade going, rodeodoctor kept complaining he did not produce anything but 2 corn and 2 indigo from the beginning of the game and his wife kept selling her tobacco before I could get a barrel in (yes, the offices were gone...). In the end, rodeodoctor won again? OK, I don't remember who won, really, I didn't. We found out that we had misinterpreted the rules in several places: 1) I thought that you could store 1 kind of goods on your windmill, not just one barrel. 2) When filling the colonist ship you should only count the empty building space, not the empty plantation spaces. 3) there was something else that we were enlightened about, but I forget what it was.

Right around when I was doing really bad XIII showed up to see how things were going and we chatted during the game, which was a relief, because if I tried any harder I think I would have done even worse!!! After the games, the young parents fled home to their baby, and Erin, Mitch37, XIII and I chatted about games we'd like to play. They all seem to be interested in playing some awsome CCGs but I will stay away form that because I am broke and I do not want to be tempted. For the future sessions Arkham Horror, Aladdin's Dragons, Byzantium, Illuminati, Bang!, Quirks, RoboRally, and many other games were mentioned.

On our way back Erin and I did our own mini Caylus&PR review. We talked about how in both games there is a illusion of many decisions and choices; however, there are very few actual strategic decisions and therefore choices. In both games, a lot of fiddling goes on but "nothing happens" in Erin's words, meaning, one is not constantly making crucial decisions but just adjusting minimal optimizations throughout the game. This is very clear in PR. Caylus suffers a different version of the same problem. I told Erin, though, that I like fiddling and the minor optimizations, so this doesn't make me like the games less. I just prefer games like Power Grid, Taj Mahal, Shear Panic, Railraod Dice over PR or Caylus. This all said and done, I think we both want to play Caylus a few more times to see things better. As I told everyone, I am willing to teach it, but I will NOT play a game of Caylus with more than 3 people.

Thanks for coming and playing I propose our next meeting to be on February 15th Wednesday in Princeton Panera. I know Brian and I can meet as early as 6pm (or even earlier...) So let's say some of us will be there at 6pm. Do let us know when you will be joining us.

blue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliezer Silver
United States
Manlapan
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent session report Blue. Me and my wife/partner/accomplice who's name is Shannon had an awesome time and are looking forward to playing with you all soon.

Oh and not to be humble but I won both games, colleretto by one point and PR by 10.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Albala
United States
Unspecified
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluepigeon wrote:
We found out that we had misinterpreted the rules in several places: 1) I thought that you could store 1 kind of goods on your windmill, not just one barrel. 2) When filling the colonist ship you should only count the empty building space, not the empty plantation spaces. 3) there was something else that we were enlightened about, but I forget what it was.

You can't buy more than one of each building.

Quote:
Thanks for coming and playing I propose our next meeting to be on February 15th Wednesday in Princeton Panera. I know Brian and I can meet as early as 6pm (or even earlier...) So let's say some of us will be there at 6pm. Do let us know when you will be joining us.

I had a terrific time. Count me in for the 15th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yeah, Mitch is right. I was unsure if the "cannot build more than one of each type of building" also counted for the production buildings. It does.

Seems like the 15th is OK with most. I'll reserve the Princeton Panera community room and post a new post beginning of next week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eliezer Silver
United States
Manlapan
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be able to make the 15th also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New thread for the third meeting:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/99260

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.