United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Are you up for a game of Wellington?
badge
I really do have a wonderful life.
mbmbmbmbmb
VuduJoie remains as in to the Looney Labs games as ever, and so for today's luncheon gaming session, we embarked on my first game of Fluxx.

Two other gamers in our group, who we will call Jason and Melanie, were also first timers to the game, but has often been remarked in the session reports on the Geek, when a game keeps the rules on the card, it is hard not to know the rules.

Well, it can be. We had a few moments of not paying attention to reversing the player order (or more exactly, reversing it back when the Reverse Order card goes away). And we often challenged each other when the pick 2,3, or 5 cards were up, or when the Inflation card went away. It is safe to say we were all rather focused on our own game.

We played four games in our roughly an hour and a half session. The first three went by relatively quickly (VuDuJoie had to hand me the win in the first game, Jason took a quick win in the second with the 10 Cards in your Hand goal, and Melanie was able to turn the third when she laid down the Keepsake and Goal she needed to finish out her goal).

In the fourth game, we went through the deck and had to reshuffle. Had I read these reviews before I began, I would have suspected an eternal game in the making. Nevertheless, I was able to snatch victory from the jaws of paralysis by exchanging my small hand for a handful of Jason's cards, which included a goal I needed to win. He was merciful and ended the game with me winning on my own turn.

Now Malloc, a long time member of our luncheon gaming group, will not touch Fluxx with a ten-foot pole suspended four stories up by 50 feet of rope. And I am not suggesting that Fluxx and Chess are in the same category of game play. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the game. It is light enough, easy enough to teach, and while you may not walk away a winner in the first game, you have time to play a lot of them.

Luck involved? Sure. There is a relative amount of luck involved in many of the games on the Geek: drawing the right card or rolling the right number on two dice or sitting next to the Puerto Rico player who always produces so you can sell or ship on your turn. But I like how you have to stay on your toes to keep up.

I think we will see more Fluxx in our gaming group. And I will report the sessions here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.