Popular Tags: [View All]
Spieler
United States
Wish it were NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Okay, what am I missing?

Working off the English rules .pdf from Amigo's site:

In preparing the stock pile, 28 cards are laid out in 7 piles of four. The remaining cards are shuffled together with the 7 Omen cards, and the AD 79 Card is placed on top of this pile. Then, 2 of the previously laid-out four-card piles are placed on top of the AD 79 card. This is now the official Draw Pile.

(So far, so good?)

If the above is correct, here's what I don't understand. The AD 79 card is therefore always 8 cards deep into the Draw Pile. When it appears for the first time ("Vesuvius Seethes". Oooh, Scawy), it does not trigger any action; it is simply shuffled into the bottom 15 cards of the Draw Pile.

...Why not just shuffle it into the bottom 15 cards of the Draw Pile to begin with?

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Sarah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
After the card comes up the first time, relatives are allowed to be placed, so there is some "action" triggered. It would have been easier to have two different cards and only one setup phase.

Although having the card come up is easier than reminding players that after the 8th card is played, the relative phase has started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler
United States
Wish it were NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
asmiles wrote:
After the card comes up the first time, relatives are allowed to be placed, so there is some "action" triggered. It would have been easier to have two different cards and only one setup phase.

Although having the card come up is easier than reminding players that after the 8th card is played, the relative phase has started.

Okay, so that's what I was missing! We were playing the "relative" rule from the get-go. I agree that having an additional card would help.

Maybe we'll just keep those 8 top cards in a separate pile, and remind everyone that "Relatives can now be placed", once the 8th card is taken (with just the 'true' draw pile remaining)? That way, we could shuffle the AD 79 card in from the start.

Hmmm. Or, we could place an Omen card 9 cards deep into the deck (face-up, even, as it wouldn't matter?), as the reminder. I don't think we'd miss an Omen card, deeper into the deck.

Thanks...
- Sarah

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Note that the relative phase actually starts after the 9th card is drawn.

Imagine a 4 player game. After player 4 has taken their second turn, player 1 starts their first turn. They play a card, and then draw the ninth card (the trigger). So the relative phase starts on the card play of the 10th turn. If you simply wait for the 8th card to be drawn, you might start a round too soon.

The rule makes sense for a 3 player, with everyone getting equal turns before the relative phase starts. I'm not sure what they were thinking for the 4 player game.

There is some advantage for player earlier in the round, but it is slightly off-set by the tie-break rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spieler
United States
Wish it were NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
asmiles wrote:

Thanks, although my alert 10-year-old made sure I was aware of that, the first time I tried our new Omen Card 'variant' (using one of the Omen Cards instead of the AD79 card as the 9th card in), which seems to work just fine.

asmiles wrote:

Imagine a 4 player game. After player 4 has taken their second turn, player 1 starts their first turn.

...er, third turn, correct? Otherwise, you've _really_ lost me!

asmiles wrote:
They play a card, and then draw the ninth card (the trigger). So the relative phase starts on the card play of the 10th turn. If you simply wait for the 8th card to be drawn, you might start a round too soon.

Gotcha.

asmiles wrote:
The rule makes sense for a 3 player, with everyone getting equal turns before the relative phase starts. I'm not sure what they were thinking for the 4 player game.

Well... there's enough luck throughout that I'm not sure it makes _that_ much difference, overall? So far, I think I like the game better with 3 players than with 4, but need to play more to know. Either way, I get beaten rather thoroughly by one of my kids.

Thanks!
-Sarah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl Boone
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Reading your recent posts has been like dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.
mbmbmbmbmb
asmiles wrote:

Imagine a 4 player game. After player 4 has taken their second turn, player 1 starts their first turn. They play a card, and then draw the ninth card (the trigger). So the relative phase starts on the card play of the 10th turn. If you simply wait for the 8th card to be drawn, you might start a round too soon.

Exactly right. To accurately mimic the original rules but have only the one setup process at the beginning:

- deal out seven sets of four cards each, handing two to four of them to players as in the original rules
- remove one card from the deck
- shuffle the 7 omen cards into the deck
- shuffle the A.D.79 card into the bottom 15 cards of the deck
- place the deck next to the board as one draw pile
- take two of the remaining sets of four cards (discarding any others) and place these next to the board as another draw pile
- add the single card removed earlier to this second, smaller draw pile.

You will have two draw piles, one with exactly nine cards and the other with the rest of the deck. Use the smaller draw pile first; you may begin to place relatives starting with the turn after it is depleted. From that point on, use the main draw pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.