Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a practise game on my own this evening (ending in Soviet auto-victory on turn 4). Anyway, I had some questions.

1) When you play a Mixed card for Ops, does your opponent benefit from the event associated with it? I assumed not...

2) If Five Year Plan causes a Mixed card to be discarded, does that then trigger (benefiting the US)?

3) In the special case where the USSR holds Five Year Plan and a Scoring Card at the end of his turn (and no other cards), can he play Five Year Plan (for 3 Ops), as he must discard the Scoring Card, or is he forced to play the Scoring Card? (The Answer to Question 2 may be relevant here, as it determines whether or not the Scoring Card triggers).

4) Can Five Year Plan cause the China card to be discarded? I assumed not. If it can, then Question 2 is again relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NO

NO

That should be OK. You aren't holding the card, so it would be discarded.

China Card can't be used in this was AFAIK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick response.

The really nasty thing is if the answer to question 2 is Yes and to question 3 Yes. USSR has scoring card. He waits until last possible moment, then plays 5 Year Plan for 3 Ops (in the region to be scored). The scoring card is discarded and triggersdevil

Which actually happened in my practise game, nasty! Anyway, glad to see it doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff DeBoer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No cards are discarded at the end of the turn actually. You keep extra cards (but can't keep or therefore hold a scoring card) and are just dealt less for the next turn up to your normal 8 then 9 from turn 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Salinas
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nishikawa-collector wrote:
No cards are discarded at the end of the turn actually. You keep extra cards (but can't keep or therefore hold a scoring card) and are just dealt less for the next turn up to your normal 8 then 9 from turn 4.

That is not the point.

The point is the a Soviet player has two cards left coming up on his final action round: Five Year Plan and a Scoring card.

The Soviet player can play the Five Year plan for ops and this activates the Pro-US event which forces the Soviet player to randomly discard a card. Well, the only card he has left is the scoring card, so he discards it and it is not activated per rule 5.4.

Clever way to get rid of a potentially nasty scoring round for USSR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff DeBoer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct. We've done that in one of our games.

The situation was not explained well enough in the first post....sorry.

Also had scoring cards cancelled by defectors a few times in the headline phase when I didn't want them to be and when I did want them to be cancelled as I suspected my opponent would play that card given his extreme weakness in a particular area....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seperate point:

Brush War. I can pick any country with stability 1 or 2, the card says. Does this mean the Soviet Player can use this on Italy? If so, are there any restrictions on when he can use it on Italy- does Defcon 4 or lower prevent it, does Nato prevent it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Doum
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Either player could play Brush War in Italy, and niether DEFCON or NATO will stop it.

Relayed from previous answer on CSW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool... I guess the Defcon thing is a bit strange. "If there is a coup in Italy we will have no choice but to opt for nuclear war! But if Italy is invaded we will just sit there and smile..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff DeBoer
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not really. Who is going to get over excited about a war over hair "brushes".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McCoy
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rri1 wrote:
That is not the point.

The point is the a Soviet player has two cards left coming up on his final action round: Five Year Plan and a Scoring card.

The Soviet player can play the Five Year plan for ops and this activates the Pro-US event which forces the Soviet player to randomly discard a card. Well, the only card he has left is the scoring card, so he discards it and it is not activated per rule 5.4.

Clever way to get rid of a potentially nasty scoring round for USSR.

Actually the Five Year Plan event causes a US associated event on the discarded card to occur, superseding Rule 5.4 (per Rule 5.5, actually). But the tactic of using Five Year Plan to ditch an unwanted scoring card still works. Cards cards with split color stars are associated with neither power (Rule 2.2.2) and thus are not triggered by Five Year Plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.