Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I have the Rio Grande rules and they state that when using the Sumerian ability you can take all of the tribe corresponding to the top face card of your opponent (no matter where in the stack)

I also read that the designer has said this is wrong and that only the top most card and same tribe attached to that can transfer over.

mentioned in this thread

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/94915

Now I would like to play the way that most people find the best, hence my question on here.
Please let me know if you play the Rio Grande way or the designers way and which one you prefer and why.
I read that each should play ok, but I am sure that one way must be better

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like my Sumerians well done.

But seriously... good question. I didn't even know there was some controversy about this, so I'd also like to hear what people have to say. The two or three times I've played it, we've played by the rules in the box.

Rex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
JonnieK wrote:

Please let me know if you play the Rio Grande way or the designers way and which one you prefer and why.
I read that each should play ok, but I am sure that one way must be better

We've been playing the game since it came out (Kosmos version). We played by uwe rosenberg's (translated) rules for a long time, maybe switched a bit in between (probably by accident). Lately we are playing rio grande's rules. This was accidental, due to a close reading of those rules for making a player aid.

I'm not sure I care either way. I didn't even realize we had switched up until seeing this post. I used to like it the old way, but now I like it the 'rio grande' way, and I could probably like it the old way again.

Sorry, this doesn't help much.

I find it more balanced using the 'rio grande' approach, since the Sumerer (Sumerians) are still limited to the last people played, whereas the Medeans also affect all of one race but can from anywhere - not just the last position.

Sumer - Drawback: last race only; Bonus: you get them
Medean - Drawback: cards are discarded; Bonus: not last only

The main difference in the 2 rule sets is how many come, and how many leave. The more subtle difference is: the position of the remaining cards also matter, so here either rule set may help your opponent, but the rio rules help you much more immediately since you (may) get more cards. With rio, the opponent may lose more cards, but this may help him or her to close a gap in another race (thus for example putting 3 of some other race together).

The national people abilities aren't really balanced exactly. They don't have to be. You'll have many of them, or all, sometime or other, and you'll use them when they suit. This is not a deep game, it is not for overthinking. My post here is too long, it looks like I'm overthinking this.

Have fun with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kidsley
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Long Eaton, Nottingham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
excellant replies. very funny as well.

When looking at this game it does look like you have to pull off mulitple action combos at every turn to be successful so its refreshing to see the "dont overthink" comment

its a game for crying out loud- enjoy it jonnie (i really shouldnt talk to myself this way)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
JonnieK wrote:
... its refreshing to see the "dont overthink" comment

its a game for crying out loud- enjoy it jonnie (i really shouldnt talk to myself this way)

laugh

I'm glad you posted this thread. It reminded me to upload my 'very complete Babel reference'. I'm really glad that people play this game. We've had a lot of fun with it, and will break it out here and there for years to come.

I've researched issues with these rules in the past, but I can't really recall why I arrived at the current rules I use - we like these. I included a word doc in my upload, making it easy to edit what I put in there to suit. These seem to match the current rio grande rules completely.

There is tons of room here for variants, but none we have tried have ever stuck; we play straight up. The best variant we had was something to do with a people's power being more powerful when used at their own homeland.

The last game I played, about a week ago, took 15 minutes. It probably normally takes ~30, with 45+ reserved for those tense matches where things get particularly tight and balanced back and forth.

I don't know if you need any suggestions, but my suggestion is to just play, and try to invoke each ability to see how they work, and then you'll be ready for a match next game. You can get screwed in the temple level draws, but it's fun to try to scratch your way back from seeming defeat, and it happens often enough: the game has a better-than-average 'flip factor' if played well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.