David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before reading this review you should know that:

1. I have only played the game once, and even then, it was only "one lap". I was requested by the designer to post a review, so I decided that my initial impressions may be worthwhile.

2. I have never played a racing game of this type before, so the entire idea was rather foreign to me.

3. I'm always dense the first time I play a game.

4. The rules were being read to me, and I did not spend any time reading the rules myself.

I played Bolide at a game night, and was immediately overwhelmed by the rules.

The car movement was unlike anything I had played before. I felt the lack of experience with such games made it more difficult to grasp the game.

Visuals
Very fun looking track and bits. The design was very appealing and engaging. The track is puzzle-pieced together and is pretty big. The cars are nicely done.

Mechanics
Throughout the race track there is a grid. As you move your car about the race track, a "car pawn" represents sort of your "momentum vector" (I got a C in Physics). Therefore, the faster you go, the farther out your car pawn goes, and therefore the more difficulty you'll have turning and slowing down. About 75% through the game I finally began to get a feeling for how this worked.

Impressions
The best thing I can say about any game is that I laughed a lot while playing it, which I did while playing Bolide. Perhaps some of it was nervous laughter because I was so lost as to how the movement worked. I believe that if I play it again I will enjoy the game more. Will I play it again? Probably not. I don't own the game, and it's not the type of game I'd buy. If I was at a game gathering and someone brought it out, and there was another table to go to, I'd probably choose the other table. However, if it was the only game being played, I'd gladly play it and give it another go around.

My Rating
I choose not to rate this game because I haven't given it an entire play yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.