Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since all movement is done before battle, and Warrior Infantry are required to battle if they move 2 spaces, what happens if I move my Warrior Infantry 2 spaces next to a single enemy unit, but that enemy unit is destroyed or made to retreat by another attack during that turn? The Warriors move back? You lose for cheating? Nothing? Sorry if this is something I missed. (I checked the FAQ) Thanks!

Lucas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this happen. We resolved it by wording the rule as such:

"Warriors may move two spaces only if at the end of that movement they are eligible for close combat."

This represents the unit beginning to run to engage a target at full tilt. The unit may lose cohesion by the time the warriors get there. Just imagine the warriors chopping up the milling masses of broken troops.

The rule is in place to keep from being able to just keep running your foot troops over and over, which would kill them before they ever got to the other side of the battle field.

I think the rule could have been written more clearly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wondering the same thing. I think the proposed interpretation sounds right. Warriors move 2 spaces and must be able to CC when doing so. If there is no adjacent enemies once it's time to fight there's no penalty, however as long as there is an adjacent enemy, the warriors must attack.

-E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for necroposting, but I have a question which this thread didn't solve clearly - IMO.

Can a warrior unit charge two hexes without finishing its movement adjacent to an enemy unit?
The first sentence of the rule seems to allow it - but the second one quite clearly explains that the two hexes charge aims to CC an adjacent enemy unit...
I would have liked the rule to clearly state that a warrior unit may only move two hexes if it ends its movement adjacent to at least one enemy unit.
Thoughts ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
Sorry for necroposting, but I have a question which this thread didn't solve clearly - IMO.

Can a warrior unit charge two hexes without finishing its movement adjacent to an enemy unit?
The first sentence of the rule seems to allow it - but the second one quite clearly explains that the two hexes charge aims to CC an adjacent enemy unit...
I would have liked the rule to clearly state that a warrior unit may only move two hexes if it ends its movement adjacent to at least one enemy unit.
Thoughts ?

It's clear (somewhere). Warriors can only move 2 hexes if that puts them in position to battle on that turn. It may be, of course, that they don't get a chance to battle if their target is destroyed or retreats before they can fire, but they have to be ordered to battle to move 2 hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick answer.
I do play it that way - but I would like the wording of the rule to be more clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
I do play it that way - but I would like the wording of the rule to be more clear.

I think the wording is fairly clear:

"Warrior infantry units may move one hex and battle, or move two hexes and battle if moving adjacent to an enemy unit or adjacent to an enemy leader (warriors can only move two hexes if about to battle in Close Combat, and this Close Combat is compulsory after a two-hex ‘charge’). Warrior units are classed as Medium foot units for the purposes of being ordered to move and taking hits."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NimitsTexan wrote:
Robin wrote:

I think the wording is fairly clear:

"Warrior infantry units may move one hex and battle, or move two hexes and battle if moving adjacent to an enemy unit or adjacent to an enemy leader (warriors can only move two hexes if about to battle in Close Combat, and this Close Combat is compulsory after a two-hex ‘charge’). Warrior units are classed as Medium foot units for the purposes of being ordered to move and taking hits."
Ah yes.
Thanks.
I didn't spot the p. 6 rule paragraph and was only focused on the p. 9 one.
My bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.