Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I thought I had all the rules nuances figured out - turns out there were still some questions when I played the last time. Sigh. Here goes:

1) Does the extra Expedition Card bonus apply to the first player to reach the 4th (or 5th) row, period? Or does it apply to the first player to reach the 4th (or 5th) row in a column? In other words, if I upgrade my money track to the 4th level but someone else has already upgraded their colonist track to 4th, do I still get my Expedition Card?

I'd always played that it was a one-shot deal, but others in last night's group differed.

2) I am aware of the ruling from the designer regarding the Expedition Card hand limit (i.e. that the proper rules don't allow you to draw beyond your hand limit and then discard - instead you only draw up to what you can legally hold in hand). What is the ruling on recieving additional Expedition Cards via a tile (i.e. the ones that give you 3 Expedition Cards or whatnot)? Does the rule also apply here? Or are you allowed to temporariliy go over?

3) At the end of the game, do you get points for Expedition Cards in hand according to: a) at least one point for each card, potentially more if you have pairs or better, or b) only points for the symbol you have the most of (in the case of a tie, only for one symbol regardless)?

4) Not a question but something worth highlighting: If you choose to get rid of a plantation tile with a VP on it (i.e. replace it with one that produces more), you don't lose the VP - the tile goes face-down in front of you and its point counted at the end of the game. I had been playing this wrong...

pk

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1) Does the extra Expedition Card bonus apply to the first player to reach the 4th (or 5th) row, period? Or does it apply to the first player to reach the 4th (or 5th) row in a column? In other words, if I upgrade my money track to the 4th level but someone else has already upgraded their colonist track to 4th, do I still get my Expedition Card?

I'd always played that it was a one-shot deal, but others in last night's group differed.

It is a one-shot deal. Only the action card bonus is available to all players (even if someone had advanced all their development tracks to that level previously).

Quote:
2) I am aware of the ruling from the designer regarding the Expedition Card hand limit (i.e. that the proper rules don't allow you to draw beyond your hand limit and then discard - instead you only draw up to what you can legally hold in hand). What is the ruling on recieving additional Expedition Cards via a tile (i.e. the ones that give you 3 Expedition Cards or whatnot)? Does the rule also apply here? Or are you allowed to temporariliy go over?

You are allowed to go over. However, you cannot use the expedition action again until you discard down to a level that will allow you to use the action again. I will usually try to win the auction tile that gives you an additional 3 expedition cards at the end of the game, so that I can exceed my expedition card limit and add points.

Quote:
3) At the end of the game, do you get points for Expedition Cards in hand according to: a) at least one point for each card, potentially more if you have pairs or better, or b) only points for the symbol you have the most of (in the case of a tie, only for one symbol regardless)?

By my understanding, you get points for all expedition cards in hand, even if it just one card symbol. For example, you could score points for one tiger, 3 fish, and another point for a statue (for a total of 8 points).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teemu Salohalme
Finland
Imatra
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PatK wrote:

Yes you do, or that's how we've been playing it.

From the rules:
"The first player who advance with the prosperity marker to the second last level in any column on the development chart, receives one expedition card. The same goes for a player whose prosperity marker reaches the last level. This reward is given for each and every one of the five columns and could thus come up a total of ten times.
The expedition card hand limit is disregarded."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
Quote:

It is a one-shot deal. Only the action card bonus is available to all players (even if someone had advanced all their development tracks to that level previously).

This is not what was asked.

There is an expedition card given out to the first player to get to the fourth row of the money track. There is also an expedition card given out to the first player to get to the fourth row of the colonist track.

Another way to say it is that there are a maximum of 10 expedition cards given out to the whole group for advancing to the fourth and fifth rows of the various tracks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Eastside, Esq.
United States
Richmond Hts.
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
This is not what was asked.

There is an expedition card given out to the first player to get to the fourth row of the money track. There is also an expedition card given out to the first player to get to the fourth row of the colonist track.

Another way to say it is that there are a maximum of 10 expedition cards given out to the whole group for advancing to the fourth and fifth rows of the various tracks.

Ah yes, I misunderstood the question. blush In my haste to answer, I thought Patrick was asking if the expedition card bonus is available to each player for advancing to the 4th or 5th column of the same success track. You are right, the 4th or 5th row of each column yields an expedition card for the first to reach it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Korner
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Stop poking me! Ow! I mean it! That hurts!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all who took the time to answer! I look forward to the day I get to play Goa and, after finishing, look back and say "Yup, we didn't miss a thing!" goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Casadonte
United States
Media
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The compass always points to Terrapin.
mbmbmbmbmb
PatK wrote:
2) I am aware of the ruling from the designer regarding the Expedition Card hand limit (i.e. that the proper rules don't allow you to draw beyond your hand limit and then discard - instead you only draw up to what you can legally hold in hand).

I think that Rudiger said that you must discard enough cards prior to drawing to draw the full amount. In other words, the first number is the number of cards you must draw, and the second number is the maximum you are allowed to then have after you've drawn. At no other time is a hand maximum checked.

BTW, I would recommend strongly never playing with the English rules as written; this one rule change makes all the difference in the game, taking it from a game with lots of potential to being a really great game. It's a shame the rule was mishandled as it was.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.