Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Reist
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
The other day my gaming group, consisting of four players, swept through Scenario I of Doom, and today we moved onto Scenario II.

After reading through the campaign rules, it seemed like they would just make the marines way more powerful (we read this as: too powerful). I mean, one of the marines exited the first scenario with some energy and a BFG!

Of course, they got about half-way through the second scenario before being slaughtered.

So my question for those who have played more is this: is the campaign play (as printed) fair? Does it get too easy for the marines? Or, on the other side of the coin, is it even possible to pass Scenario II if you haven't carried over from the first?

Note: We were pretty much using the printed rules except the players were allowed to assign their six cards as desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bond
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played the campaign option through the end. The marines can get too powerful but it all varies. If they keep purchasing armor, yeah it can make it a pain to hurt them, but on the other hand, if you do armor break rules like we do it offsets that. We also do weapon break rules so picking up that BFG in the beginning really doesn't mean that much. One player picked up the BFG just to have it break the first time he fired it.

In the end, it all depends on how you play the game. As I said, we use different rule variants to make the game even more challenging for the marines, just so we can offset the power increase factor that they get from board to board. (Even though mission 3 hurt them pretty bad on it's own to make up for the upgrades they purchased earlier )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.