Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that listening to the Dice Tower yesterday while traveling has gotten me thinking about wargames.

I am ordering a family game, and I want to selfishly reward myself by finding a good war game that costs about $20 that I can also set up and play by email over a longer period of time if necessary, as my access to gamers is limited because of time constraints and family. I would prefer something a teensy bit heavier than Memoir '44 and that would support multiple players, if possible. My sad budget is about $20. Ideally I could bundle it with the games I am getting at http://timewellspent.org and save on shipping, plus have it for the weekend!

This may be an impossible set of criteria, I realize. Thanks for any suggestions. Oh, and I like science fiction themes, but war simulations are fine too. I'm starting to get interested in WWII.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into Target: Arnhem and Battle for Germany. Both are a slight step-up in complexity from M'44 and are very inexpensive to aquire.

Also, consider for The Desert Fox, the old S&T magazine game, on eBay. You can usually get it under $20.

If you have any interest in the American Civil War, look on eBay for Across Five Aprils.

And you can usually get old copies (in good condition) of The Russian Campaign or Bitter Woods on eBay for around your price target.

I can't think of any multiplayer games that suit your criteria (simple and inexpensive).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin gave you some good suggestions. And one of them, Battle for Germany, works well with up to 4 players. There are cyberboard gameboxes available for it, so you could easily play by email.

As he said, you can find it cheap on ebay, or probably here on the marketplace as well. If you can't find one, contact me - I've got an extra copy I'd part with.

For sci-fi multiplayer (up to four), I'd recommend Nexus Ops. I couldn't connect with timewellspent, but thoughthammer has it for $31.50. Fun and quick. I don't know if there are any PBeM options for it at this point though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have access to a computer, due to the pbem, them maybe look into one of the ASL starter kits. There are usually lots of people willing to play online and you can download VASL (Virtual ASL) from www.vasl.org. It's a big step up from M'44 but well worth it in my opinion.

Maus

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
Multiplayer wargame for around $20. Tough nut to crack...the closest that I can come is the new FFG version of Britannia.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/240

Time Well Spent says that they do not have it, Card Haus, Fair Play, and Thoughthammer want around $28 for it. It plays best with 4 players but will require the heavy use of a dice server for PBEM play.

Another upcoming FFG mulit-player wargame that looks like it would do well via PBEM is Warrior Knights. But I am thinking that it will clock in at around the $35 price mark (at online sellers).

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/22038

Sorry, no sci-fi games come to mind at this time. With the vast majority of wargames being of the two-player variety, your criteria are a bit on the stringent side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your responses, and for the education. I'll have to revise my desires and cast my hook again in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.