United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
But you would be first in line to lay down your cash for BGGopoly, wouldn't you?

Buy Aldie and Derk for GG. Geeklist and Review cards. Little meeples instead of houses. Server Down instead of jail.

Yup, you would buy it. Don't lie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Shoot, I've been eyeing Necronomiconopoly, just because it's Cthulhu!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Malme
United Kingdom
Peterborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:

I thought you were joking, at first, as a quick Google search was in vain. Then I found it should be Necronomonopoly, as at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15057

I have to say they have done a decent job of the rules, including a "get-out", whereby the losers have a chance to grab back a victory by working together. Which fits into the mythos - as the cultists *have* lost as individuals, but may well still prevail over the sane humans.

To be fair, I would say this is less a retheming (where the rules are more or less the same, but with a theme pasted on) and more of a corruption of Monopoly (appearing to be the same, but you discover, too late, that it is a wicked travesty. That also seems fitting.

Full marks to the authors.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Community Chest... wait a minute, is that Busen Memo?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
But you would be first in line to lay down your cash for BGGopoly, wouldn't you?

Buy Aldie and Derk for GG. Geeklist and Review cards. Little meeples instead of houses. Server Down instead of jail.

Yup, you would buy it. Don't lie.

I would probably buy it. But as a game it would still suck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't buy it.

On the other hand, I don't hate rethemed Monopoly (it doesn't get a 2). I don't want to play it, that is all.

I will freely admit to being a Hypocrite though.

"Hypocrisy is the price we pay for having moral values" (someone whose name I have forgotten, could even be me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MK
United States
Coshocton
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
No Monopoly variant of any kind comes in this house.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't buy it. However, I'm reading The Time Traveler's Wife which includes an amusing description of a Monopoly variant named Modern Capitalist Mind-Fuck. It "involves answering questions, getting points, accumulating money, and exploiting your fellow players." Players have to answer trivia questions about economics to buy property.

Chance card: Question 1) Name two famous artists Trotsky knew in Mexico. Question 2) How much does Nike pay its Vietnamese workers per diem to make those ridiculously expensive sneakers?

Community Chest card: What modern technological invention would you deep-six for the good of society? (Your answer is judged by your fellow players.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
Chris__M wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

I thought you were joking, at first, as a quick Google search was in vain. Then I found it should be Necronomonopoly, as at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/15057

Well, dang. I do think my version of the title rolls of the tongue more easily, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a hypocrite. I own Monopoly, and Star Wars monopoly. I actually enjoy playing Monopoly. I think you all hate Monopoly cause all the cool kids are doing it.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerald McDaniel
United States
Lakewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
edosan wrote:
No Monopoly variant of any kind comes in this house.

Always keep an open mind: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/741999#741999

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry buddy. I'd avoid it like the plague, just like Simpsons-opoly and John Deer-opoly.

And I'm just getting plain tired of Meeples. Plus, could people stop trying to change the word "meeple" to make a cute word related to the type of meeple? I read an article about Pingvinas and the guy referred to the penguins as "peneeples". gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Culdcept for the PS2 (ok, so it isn't a board game, but you could hack one up easily enough) is essentially Monopoly blended with Magic the Gathering on strange shaped boards. You can choose to pay manna when you land in enemy territory or fight it out with a creature from your hand. If you win, you get that territory. Finally, a monopoly variant I can stand behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris May
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Feeling lucky punk? Well, do ya?
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the game monopoly, but I love my NFL rethemed version. the 1999 version I own has my favorite team, the Atlanta Falcons, as Park Place. You gotta love that!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Oettinger
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Godeke wrote:
Culdcept for the PS2 (ok, so it isn't a board game, but you could hack one up easily enough) is essentially Monopoly blended with Magic the Gathering on strange shaped boards. You can choose to pay manna when you land in enemy territory or fight it out with a creature from your hand. If you win, you get that territory. Finally, a monopoly variant I can stand behind.

Culdcept is a great game, and that's a very apt description of it. If only it had online play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always wanted a physical board version of that game. I loved it but hated playing it on the screen. For some reason games like that elude me when all I've got is the dual shock etc. I need my hands on the cards or I just can't wrap my head around it for some reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will agree with the Culdcept assessment, great game. I have wasted so much time medal hunting....

I really should play that again soon.. only 8 more medals to get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Sohn
United States
culver city
CA
flag msg tools
Check out my class: https://www.canvas.net/courses/game-design-concepts
badge
How are you today?
mbmbmbmbmb
I will buy it because cool BGG theme. I will read all the cards and look over the board and have a good laugh but never play it.

I think BGG themed Caylus or Puerto Rico would be better. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Merced
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Some time ago I thought of making a Geeklist on this. About 2 seconds later I thought better of it.

If I had the werewithal to do a list, it would be "BG-opoly" instead of "BGG-opoly". Focused on equating the standard properties to the "famous" games here on the geek. Seems like "BGG-opoly" would be about the site itself and its components, aspects, geeks? ("Geek-opoly"? Ugh, this is getting out of hand).

Probably, games with the most ratings. Grouped into similarity chunks. Generally low to high by rating and/or weight. Avoiding the most recent games. No collectibles (sorry Magic).

Monopoly has 28 buyable properties: 22 in 8 groups, plus 4 railroads and 2 utilites. So here goes:

Purple: Candyland, Monopoly
Light Blue: Risk, Scrabble, Clue (?)
Magenta: Bang!, Bohnanza, Citadels
Orange: Lost Cities, Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan
Red: Modern Art, Acquire, Ra
Yellow: Wallenstein, Hannibal RvC, Die Macher (?)
Green: Goa, El Grande, Princes of Florence
Blue: Euphrat & Tigris, Puerto Rico
Railroads: Ticket to Ride, Union Pacific, Age of Steam, 1829
Utilites: Power Grid, Water Works (?)

(Oh, and "Go" could be "Go", of course!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrimJester wrote:

Monopoly has 28 buyable properties: 22 in 8 groups, plus 4 railroads and 2 utilites. So here goes:

Purple: Candyland, Monopoly
Light Blue: Risk, Scrabble, Clue (?)
Magenta: Bang!, Bohnanza, Citadels
Orange: Lost Cities, Carcassonne, Settlers of Catan
Red: Modern Art, Acquire, Ra
Yellow: Wallenstein, Hannibal RvC, Die Macher (?)
Green: Goa, El Grande, Princes of Florence
Blue: Euphrat & Tigris, Puerto Rico
Railroads: Ticket to Ride, Union Pacific, Age of Steam, 1829
Utilites: Power Grid, Water Works (?)

(Oh, and "Go" could be "Go", of course!)

ROTFLMAO at Water Works - oh man a grade school flashback! Great idea though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only would I buy it, I'd set it up in our glass overed coffee table as the centerpiece attraction in the living room -- pure eye candy, as it's inaccessible for play, but adds a nice visual component.

In a pseudo-related vein, I have actually been noodling around with BoardGameGeek: The Game. Players all start as new users. The goal is to be the first one to earn 50 GG to purchase their Avatar.

Actions include posting photos, reviews, player aids & session reports for direct GG, or writing to the forums, creating geeklists, logging games played, entering your game collection and adding comments to other posts to earn Reputation. The higher a player's reputation, the more likely their content will earn bonus GG via tips, or get special action cards/favors to reflect the GeekBuddy analysis/interest/community angle.

The different options take up different amounts of time (ie, Action Points) and some are synergistic. If you spend APs to write a review of Tigris & Euphrates, it costs less to also write a session report for the same game in the same turn. But different game categories are "hot" at different times -- so you may be spending actions on a genre that won't get as many visitors/page views/exposure as others.

Random events would crop up to incorporate BGG-isms and personalities -- Server Down (fewer AP to spend), Sisteray Poo-Poos a Popular Game (driving that game genre's interest up), Tom Vasel Posts a New Review (lowering exposure to any reviews written for the same game by other players), Greg Schloesser Posts A New Session Report (ie, Tom Vasel effect, but for SRs), New Titles Announced for Essen (increasing popularity of those genres).

I've got about 4 or 5 pages of notes typed out already... I just don't know if I'll take the time to refine it and make a playable version just for personal/goof-off use (or possibly for the next Geekway to the West?)...

Does that make me pathetic? Or just cement my position as a Geek forever and ever and ever?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Little
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karate Chop!
mbmbmbmbmb
McCoy Pauley wrote:
Culdcept is a great game, and that's a very apt description of it. If only it had online play.

Love, love, love Culdcept. It was a wondeful blend of concepts. Probably the console game I've played the most, in terms of hours... Completed the main quest twice and countless head-to-head and co-op matches. If they ever made an online computer version, or simply a sequel with online play, I might never need to play a different console game again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Essen 2007 for BoardGameGeek: The Game & BGGopoly? I'm getting both! You've got 21 months, Jason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Oettinger
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ynnen wrote:
Love, love, love Culdcept. It was a wondeful blend of concepts. Probably the console game I've played the most, in terms of hours... Completed the main quest twice and countless head-to-head and co-op matches. If they ever made an online computer version, or simply a sequel with online play, I might never need to play a different console game again.

I believe one of the various iterations of Culdcept that was released in Japan had online play (perhaps a Dreamcast version.) I'm afraid that the game probably didn't sell well enough over here for us to get a sequel with online play (in fact, I'm not sure if NEC is still even publishing games in North America.)

I agree that it would be a fun game to play a physical copy of, although it might be a bit fiddly with all the various mana calculations. I thought I had read somewhere about someone working on a physical copy of the game based on the cards in the PS2 version, but I can't think where I read about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.