Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played this game yet, but I think I understand it enough to see some of the issues. This is something I just thought of:

If a player plays the Kastellan, he leaves that card on the table. He may not pick it up again until another player plays their Kastellan card. The effect is that once you score, you may not do so again until someone else does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
United States
New Yource
New York
flag msg tools
I gave that some thought on an initial reading of the rules, and just made that suggestion elsewhere. Have you tried that variant, and if so, how'd it go?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own the game yet. It just seemed a nice way, from my understanding of the issue, to limit the power of the leader to drive the game quickly to an end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
If a player plays the Kastellan, he leaves that card on the table. He may not pick it up again until another player plays their Kastellan card. The effect is that once you score, you may not do so again until someone else does.

The problem is that a player scores with the Kastellan and then scores again in the next round.

With your variant if another player scores in the same round then the leader is not prevented from scoring again in the next round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoMan wrote:
The problem is that a player scores with the Kastellan and then scores again in the next round.

With your variant if another player scores in the same round then the leader is not prevented from scoring again in the next round.

Right. My thought was that if the current leader has already used his Kastellan, that the other players will wait to score again until they have been able to shift the balance. As long as possible anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If 2-3 players let another player set himself up to score highly in two consecutive areas (with accordingly fewer actions to improve his score) and cannot at the same time set themselves up for better scoring elsewhere, isn't it merciful to let the superior player put them out of their misery the sooner? Further, if a player has been locked out of two consecutive scoring areas but has strong positioning elsewhere, shouldn't she be able to move the game through scoring the bad areas more quickly while moving future scoring towards her better areas?

If someone has a scoring area locked up but is prevented from scoring it, the game will drag as everyone else wastes actions to try to get to a point where they will score more in the area. They won't want to score and will either leave things in a situation where they will continue to not want to score or they will sacrifice future scoring opportuinities to painfully build up their local area. Limitations on pieces in these areas will completely prevent effective progress.

I own the game and have played it. If someone gets benefit from rushing the scoring, then it is just a matter of good play, and should be rewarded. This isn't a friendly game, but it will become a painful one if players that can benefit from scoring are prevented from doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
If someone gets benefit from rushing the scoring, then it is just a matter of good play, and should be rewarded.

It is not always a matter of superior play.

Sometimes the Fort cards - depending on the order that they come out and which numbers appear in the game - can help a player more than the others (assuming all players are equal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so glad this issue is being discussed. It's the one aspect of the game that might keep me from buying it. Lots of good points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Scott
United States
New Yource
New York
flag msg tools
Don't let a little rule prevent you from buying it. It really is a superb little game and everyone enjoyed our playing of it this evening. We did play with the atlernative rule and found that it worked well. It did prevent some obvious king-maker kind of situations and made the game much more tense.

So, to clarify:

Having played the Kastellan, you do not get the card back until another player triggers scoring.

The king does not allow a player to re-use the Kastellan.

Only if the player has no more cards left can he, who most recently played the Kastellan, do so again.

Excellent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
noctua wrote:
Only if the player has no more cards left can he, who most recently played the Kastellan, do so again.

2+ years later...

I don't think that's possible. The player after the last Kastellan player would be the first to play a card and would therefore have to be the first to run out of all his non-Kastellan cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
kevinb9n wrote:
noctua wrote:

2+ years later...

I don't think that's possible. The player after the last Kastellan player would be the first to play a card and would therefore have to be the first to run out of all his non-Kastellan cards.

1+ years later...

It is possible because the 'last Kastellan player' would only have 6 cards in their hand and thus may run out of cards before the other players who all would instead have the full allotment of 7 character cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.