Subject: Cannae scenario rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Dobbins
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Does the Cannae scenario look very odd to you? What I see is two relatively well matched forces, with an edge in heavy infantry (surprised?) and especially cavalry (expected) going to the Carthaginian player, who has a clear deployment advantage on the flanks. The relative material weakness of the Roman side is puzzling, as is the overwhelming strength of the Numidians on the Carthaginian right -- historically (it is believed) they were barely able to hold their own using skirmishing tactics until the pressure was relieved by the victorious of Spanish and Celtic cavalry on the left. I would have expected a lot more punch in the Roman center (all four HI units). Presumably the Latin allies are represented by auxilliary units in the game -- I am not convinced that is right. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed the same thing on Cannae. especially since the historical write up mentions how "packed in the legions were" in this huge army--. Of course, big numbers don't mean as much with this system, since you are limited to how many people you can move at once and since victory is purely on "banners won." No matter how many fresh troops you have left, when the other guy gets the magic number, you're done. In some ways, having the legions "packed in" would be more dangerous to them than the enemy, since limited retreat/evade spaces is a great way to lose in a hurry.

Still, it's a valid question, and I think it would be good to post on the Consimworld forum, which I believe is checked a lot more frequently by GMT people. RBorg has been "out" for a couple weeks but is supposed to be back about now and working on an updated FAQ..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dobbins
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
Good, suggestion, I'll repost to CSWorld.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I wouldn't expect heavy infantry in the Roman center- if you're talking legions, you're talking medium infantry, with just a shell of a phalanx as the last line of defense. Agreed that the armies may have been fiddled just a bit to give the Carthaginian a greater opportunity to obtain the historical result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this simulates the lack of effectiveness of the Roman middle because they were compacted in one place. Rather than providing a greater number of blocks to simulate this and reducing the movement and effectiveness of the middle, maybe the designer simply chose to include less blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first playthrough of Cannae resulted in a fairly comfortable Roman victory. Several contributing factors:

There are enough Roman units to secure both flanks against early turning if the flank cards are there to get them in position.

Early Line formation card plus early Double Time gets the Roman center into action before the flanks wear down.

Clouds of light cavalry aren't too scary when countered by a solid line of missile-capable troops bottling up their movement potential--even skirmish infantry has more staying power than light cav (four blocks to three).

Roman player had good cards for this one but there are so many units available that the historical flank turning will only happen if the Roman is indifferent to protecting them.

It was very entertaining to see the battle lines hack away at each other for a couple of turns, melting away like ice in July.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dobbins
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
"Well, I wouldn't expect heavy infantry in the Roman center- if you're talking legions, you're talking medium infantry"

Hmm, so Roman legionaries are medium infantry, with the exception of the triarii? The game system itself lends great offensive firepower to HI. That was not a noted feature of the triarii (third line troops, kept in reserve to save a lost battle). The case has been made the triarii were not even deployed in line-of-battle at Cannae. Regardless, the principes embodied the prime offensive power of the legion and I would characterize these as HI in CCA, because of the 5 dice allotted to HI in CC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maksim Smelchak
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Cannae scenario...
Hi Guys,

I'm not sure about the historical accuracy of the scenario (done some reading, but do not consider myself an expert), but I have had a great time playing the scenario.

I've played it five times so far as both sides and enjoyed every game.

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's the main point, isn't it?

Historical accuracy has to be yielded here-- At Cannae the Romans had something like double the troops which Hannibal did. That not only is not the case in this scenario, but it would actually be a detriment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.