Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emmanuel Alisea
United States
Marquette Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
So game night is now a regular thing in the home where I live, and I'm looking to expand my horizons. Doing this however, requires getting a game/games that everyone will enjoy. So his the break down.

Currently, the games we own and play on a regular basis are as follows: Life, Clue, Apples to Apples, Risk, Chez Geek, and Cranium.

Problem is that Risk takes too long to play (usually somewhere around 6 or so hours, and we usually get together fairly late), and my girlfriend doesn't enjoy Chez Geek. I know that Settlers of Catan is well liked by both myself and my girlfriend, but we've never tried it with our game night friends for the simple fact that we don't own it. Unfortunatly, the prices I've seen for Settlers makes it a little too rich for my blood right now.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some other games we might enjoy that could be obtained for a reasonable price and would be something that, given the above examples, would be enjoyed. Also, instructions in english would be nice. Any suggestions that could be provided are much appreciated. By the way, there are currently 4 of us getting together on a regular basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume the prices you've seen for Settlers are the retail prices? You can get better deals at the popular online stores. Here's an example...

http://thoughthammer.com/product_info.php?products_id=41&osC...

I'd also suggest Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride as a couple to look into.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Davison
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: 21 y/o Male seeking a board/card game for fun and advent
I'd recommend Carcassonne meeple to you. It is a light game, easy to learn, cheaper than Settlers (until you start buying expansions), and I have found it has gone over really well with anyone I have introduced to it. Also, it is pretty good as a 2 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
When you say that Settlers is too rich for your blood, are we talking about the regular Settlers set, between $24-$40 depending on where you get it? Or the deluxe edition for ~$400?

Just trying to get a feel for what you would call a "reasonable price".

Nevertheless, some games that might work for your group:

Saboteur
Guillotine
Carcassonne
St. Petersburg
Through the Desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to try a lot of euro card games for cheap, with the cards from Sticheln (about $10) and rules on the geek, you can play:
Sticheln
Raj
Hattrick
Flinke Pinke/Loco
Schotten Totten
Foppen
David and Goliath
Lost Cites

Since you like party games, check out the following link on how to play many of them with just paper and pencil. In particular, try Cluesome. Everyone I have introduced that game to likes it.

http://www.puzzlers.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=krewe:gamerules

My party game group also likes President with you can play with a regular deck of cards. President is a public domain version of the card game The Great Dalumti and actually plays much better.

http://www.pagat.com/climbing/asshole.html

Our group plays the basic rules from this site with one modification: A trick can also startt with a single sequence of three or more cards of consecutive rank and same suit. When comparing two sequences, the one containing higher ranking cards is better.

I would also check thirft stores for party games since you can often get them for $1-3 dollars there. Ones to look for are:
Guesstures
Balderdash
Taboo
Win, Lose or Draw
25 words or less
Inklings
Oodles
Wise or Otherwise
Donesbury Game (proably more fun for leftists than republicans)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FullContactGEEK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh...Take my Ticket to Ride....PLEASE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lisa smith
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if you are going to thift stores, keep an eye out for old avalon hill "bookshelf" games which are also frequently availible. They vary in quality but I've gotten the following which I like:

Acquire (I've found several copies of this)
Twixt
Sleuth (a better version of a clue like game, also recently reprinted for not too much money)
Facts in Five (like Scattergories but better)

Werewolf is another free public domain game worth trying as well. You can use a few cards from a standard deck to assign the roles, you don't need one of the published versions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a copy of For Sale. It's cheap, it's fun, and it plays up to 6 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another cheap but excellent card game is Coloretto, plays well with 3 to 5 people. Geshenkt will be reprinted by Z-Man games soon (Feb?) for $10 (or less online). If they like Clue, you might want to try Mystery of the Abbey, which is like Clue but better, but it is not a cheap game (it is a big box game). For a light but longer card game you can checkout Bang! which is a lot of fun with the right backstabbing crowd. It is also cheap and plays with up to 7 people (the more the merrier, really!) For a bit more involving card game check our San Juan, the card game version of Puerto Rico. It has the same mechanic as PR, and the cards have a lot of writing on them which might make it hard on newbies, but it is a great game and a nice introduction to PR! It also plays well with 2-4 people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Alisea
United States
Marquette Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
spearjr wrote:
When you say that Settlers is too rich for your blood, are we talking about the regular Settlers set, between $24-$40 depending on where you get it? Or the deluxe edition for ~$400?

Just trying to get a feel for what you would call a "reasonable price".

Reasonable is somewhere around $20 I suppose, though settlers I've seen in the upper end, (closer to the $40 mark you stated above). I wouldn't buy the deluxe edition unless I were rich... or crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunnagh Scott
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's someone else's 1db1db...

Have a look at Citadels - we enjoy this with 4 (and indeed 5). Whether or not you like it with 2 depends on what phase of the moon your cat was born under, or something. Probably. Opinions differ.

Thinking about it, Attika is cool too, and has a bit more 'resource managing' a la Settlers about it...

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, difficult. Well I would recommend Lord of the Rings the Confrontation as the best game I know for £20 (which I hope is within budget once it has reached the US). But it is only 2 player

Have you got a regular pack of cards? Loads of games there, and a book of card game rules should be easily within budget. Probably best to start with something simple like Black Maria (Also known as Hearts).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Washington
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mosqui wrote:
Currently, the games we own and play on a regular basis are as follows: Life, Clue, Apples to Apples, Risk, Chez Geek, and Cranium.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest some other games we might enjoy that could be obtained for a reasonable price and would be something that, given the above examples, would be enjoyed. Also, instructions in english would be nice. Any suggestions that could be provided are much appreciated. By the way, there are currently 4 of us getting together on a regular basis.

Based on your list, I'd recommend CITADELS, INGENIOUS, GUILLOTINE, and TICKET TO RIDE: EUROPE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
You need some games with player interaction. My wife and I recommend Bohnanza (she's bgggeeking w/me right now). It's a nice one.

Here's a gratuitous pirate for you arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Alisea
United States
Marquette Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Something I forgot to point out earlier as well is that, as far as taste goes, we're coupled on two different sides of the spectrum.

My friend Tim, as well as myself, are the nerdier type, and enjoy playing video games, watching fantasy and sci-fi movies, etc.

My girlfriend and my friend John are a bit more reserved. They're not big video game players and they don't really enjoy fantasy or sci-fi stuff.

I don't know if there are any games (aside from those listed above) that might compromise between our differences in taste. Also, my girlfriend is a history buff, so maybe some games that go along those lines.

Also, the group I game with are all fairly intelligent, so we're not afriad of a game with complicated directions, so long as they're comprehensable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuel Alisea
United States
Marquette Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I was browsing BGG the other day and happened upon a game called "1000 blank white cards." I thought it looked fun, and I don't know if any of you have played it or not, but given my examples above, do you guys think my game group would enjoy this? I'd really like to try it out at our next gaming session, but I don't see a point if I'm going to be the only one to enjoy it. Tell me what you think. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Well, for you and your buds that are into fantasy/sci fi, spend $13 or so and pick up one of the Dungeoneer decks, like Tomb of the Lich Lord. It's a very quick playing dungeon quest kind of game, with a "screw your buddy" element to it. Each turn, in addition to moving your own hero, you get to act as Dungeon Lord, doing bad things to your competitors.

3 people can do a game in 90 minutes or so, once you get the play mechanics down. Each deck is a fully contained adventure, and there are smaller decks that can be incorporated into the main decks to make an even bigger dungeon.

For the entire group, I can't think of anything off the top of my head. I've never played Settlers, Carcosanne (too lazy to look up correct spelling), or anything similar. Been thinking of Settlers, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Much more of a wargamer/fantasy/dugeon crawler myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r3n0
United States
California
flag msg tools
Every friday night me and my friends (about 6-9) show up at my house, 17yrs to 21 yrs old and we have really been getting into Risk 2210,
We used to play OG risk but staying up till 3 in the morning was little rough.
The new risk is just fun, and with the 5 year (turn) limit makes it a lot shorter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.