Hide
7 Posts

Doom: The Boardgame» Forums » Variants

Subject: Flashlight Ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Eisenmann
msg tools
Hi@all, my name is Peter and I am new on this forum.
I got myself the doom boardgame for my birthday (the best presents are the onea you get for yourself ), and as the game is based on Doom III, I played with the idea of introducing the flashlight into the game. Maybe adding some atmosphere and helping the marines a bit. If there is a topic like that already, please guide me there.
Note that I have only played the game one time so far, so I don't know the game mechanics, balancing issues etc. that well. Just some random ideas.

- I would prefer if the basic game rules are not altered. The flashlight should be a bonus, but you should have no disadvantages (like a limited LOS) if you don't have it. However, playing around with the LOS COULD be an interesting option.
- the flashlight should be a pickable item like a weapon. So you would have to make a token out of a piece of cardboard and add it to the scenarios in a place you choose yourself.
- Lets talk about possible advantages for the flashlight carrier (FLC). This is where I hope to get lots of input from you.
o Spawns could be prevented within 5 spaces of the FLC, even behind obstacles. A possible explanation: The monsters don't like bright lights
o The "Darkness" card cannot be played by the invader.
o It could be used as a Melee weapon, that breaks when you roll a miss symbol. Problem with this is that anything better than one red dice (-> chainsaw) is not realistic, but else you could use your fists instead.
o Monsters could be blinded and loose one movement point if they are in the LOS of the FLC when they are activated.
o Any marine bonus that could be associated with "being more brave when the darkness is broken"

- IF the advantages are very good, it would be an option that "preparing the flashlight" is an option like aim or dodge and uses 4 movement points.

Opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget, for maximum realism make sure it's not possible to use the flashlight and a weapon at the same time...

You could have a special item - a roll of duct tape - lying around somewhere on the map, just in case it might come in handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
In the computer game, the flashlight really isn't a more powerful weapon than the fist. It does twice as much damage, but half as often, which largely cancels out the effect. As a weapon, I'd just give it a red die, the same as the fist.

As for the light-giving effects, I would say that it allows the marines to keep LOS to any monster with LOS to the flashlight user, regardless of the play of a Darkness card. It would also have similar effects on any darkness-type effects written into a scenario. (There aren't any in the scenarios from FFG, not that I know of, but since Doom is a scenario-based game there is no reason why such a scenario could not be created.)

You might or might not wish to restrict the weapons that can be used in combination with the flashlight. The inability to use a flashlight in combination even with the pistol is a commonly-decried failing of Doom 3, but I don't think it would be unreasonable to say you can't use a flashlight and a chaingun simultaneously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Eisenmann
msg tools
Good input, let's summarize.

1) You always have the flashlight once you pick it up. No ready action necessary.
- Invaders can't spawn nearer than 5 fields.
- Melee weapon: I suggest using one blue dice. Has the same total damage than a red one (13 points) but never misses.
- Darkness Card has no effect on flashlight carrier.

2) Everyone carries a flashlight from the beginning on but has to ready it.
- All spawning is prevented.

3) You pick up FL tokens that can be used like above. Token is discarded after use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Browne
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with MrSkeletor on all points except the last.

I don't think it's a good idea to use the flashlight as a special order (available in the ready action) - even if it can only be used this way after being found.

The reason for this is simple. In a three player game, you can have two players always attacking, and one player always flashlighting.

The player can alternate if required, but effectively, the invader will never get to spawn.

The condition you placed was that the flashlight is removed if the player takes damage or at the start of his next turn, but this is always 100% success of preventing spawns which always happen before creature activation.

Hence, the invader NEVER spawns monsters. That's a game breaker. there would need to be a way for the invader to counter the flashlight order. A darkness card sounds like it might even be the solution there? Oops.. Batteries went flat, you've got some more, but for this round, at least, you're in trouble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.