Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael B
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a suggestion for the Geek to add to the mountain of good ideas. How about a version/printing history for games? A simple list to track when games are reprinted/improved, or slight variations. Kind of like an expanded Alternate Names section. Take, for example, Paths of Glory. The game came out in 1999, and was reprinted in 2004 with all the latest rules and a couple map updates. Not as big of a makeover as some games get, but it would be nice to have a list of these print runs and perhaps some quick notes about them. Something that would tell you what the latest version was for when you go to EBay to find that OOP game you're looking for. It also sometimes bugs me that a game may still be in print (from a reprint), but the date in the title still says 1975, or whenever the game was made originally. An important date as well, but maybe they could include the first and last printing, so something like "(1975-2004)" or whatever.

I know if a version is different enough, it gets it's own entry, but these new entries could be linked to as well, sort of like the relationships section. The list entry would just be a link instead of not.

It could even just be a new top level forum category for the game, with a thread for each print run. Posts could be comments on the version or modifications needed to upgrade the old version to the newest ruleset/changes.

Just a thought. Maybe it's already been suggested...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wilson
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hear Hear! Absolutely, I'd love to see that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Woo
Scotland
state:
running out of space...
flag msg tools
badge
Me too.

I have actually started to include the printing history for (older and oop) games I submit as best as I can retrace them in the "Summary" eventhough I guess it technically goes against submitting guidelines.

I love it when other people put games in context, how it sits in a designers or publishers output. To me how a game came about can be as fascinating as the game in question, at times it even beats the game hands-down.

A publishing history would be a great way to put all those alternative names in a more approprate order, and give a good indication of availability too. Another frequent question is a way to mark if a game is out of print, and a publishing history would be a great place to inegtrate that feature with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.