Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i just got the game in the mail and i want to know whats the best way to approach learning this game ? im the only person in my area who has it, som im going to have to learn on my own. im sure i will be able to find a few victims to help get things up and rolling.

tonight im going to apply stickers, ill probably get cracking on it this weekend. is there a plan of action i should follow or anything you veterans would recomend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend playing the one map tournament scenario several times to get a feel for the mechanics of the land war. The game plays very smoothly, but the naval and supply rules are a bit tricky (or trickier, at any rate).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Brown
United Kingdom
STOCKPORT
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
I'd just start from the beginning - At the start unit count is low so it's easy to get a handle on things. You can follow the play book on how to deploy forces and as the Germans crush the Poles. By which time itwill all start to hang together

I'm fortunate to have played it FtF several times but before I did I'd played it a few times solitaire without any major problems

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try the iEE program, where the rules are enforced (you can't do something, then you read the rules to find out what you tried to do wrong).

It's linked at the CSW folder...not sure where else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The only tricky thing about EE is memorizing all the political rules. You'll have the game mechanics down in no time, the politics might take a game or two to settle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason I haven't been able to get iEE to work on my Mac at all. I've got Java (Vassal runs without a hitch), but I can't even open iEE. Any other Mac users have this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well 2 hours later i got all the stickers on! but cant find iee
where is this program ? can someone provide a link to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.patmedia.net/bmh1980/downloads.htm

Each of us had a copy of the game, but had only read the rules (with political/military exception rules noted but not memorized). We used iEE in conjunction with Skype (for chatting over the internet during play) and worked our way through it with little effort. If we had been playing it FTF we probably would have inadvertently broken a rule every couple of minutes.

Begin with the Tournament Scenario. It skips the early tough decisions where novice mistakes could drive the game off the rails. It begins with the last great push of the Axis into the Soviet Union, near parity in North Africa, and the Western Allies just beginning to consider operations in western Europe (threatening to take back Norway is good, and a pre-D-Day buildup will keep the Axis honest in the theater). Great fun.

The program graphics are minimalistic but work well. There's a gentleman currently working on a graphics update using GMT's original artwork and it looks brilliant. May be a few months before it's ready, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
Start to "replay" Poland and France Invasion, doing on the map step by step all what is explained in the Play Book.
Repeat it eventually more than once til you're confident with those processes, and you've fully understood every step of them.

Then start 1939 Campaign playing both factions. Do not care about losing the "fog of war", you're just learning the mechanics, and you'll get easy time by having 2 examples ready with some turns in the middle to "repeat" some process (production and strat move mainly). Then keep playing til like 1942-1943 solo. Then restart. Do it 2-5 times and you should be able to play the game smoothly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Moody wrote:
Begin with the Tournament Scenario. It skips the early tough decisions where novice mistakes could drive the game off the rails. It begins with the last great push of the Axis into the Soviet Union, near parity in North Africa, and the Western Allies just beginning to consider operations in western Europe (threatening to take back Norway is good, and a pre-D-Day buildup will keep the Axis honest in the theater). Great fun.

I played the Tournament Scenario with Jeremy today and I'm confused by this comment. The scenario had us only playing the Eastern front with Africa and Europe out of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

You played the one-map tournament scenario, which is a download here on the geek. There is also a two-map tournament scenario, in the Play Book, which includes Africa and the west.

Rick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chris was kind enough to get me started. now when i read the rules they make a lot more sense. we will have to try the other scenarios and get into the full game.

this would be a great time for someone to make video blogs of how to play a lot of the games here on the geek.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.