♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
I've recently been reminded of how much I like Pick Picknic, and would like to re-acquire it. I know that this game is a redevelopment of Dorra's Razzia, but it begs the question: How different are these two games? It might be cool to have Razzia, but if the games are significantly different, then I probably wouldn't be interested.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than art and bits, there are no differences.

I prefer the version I got on it's name alone: Hick Hack In Gackelwack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameplay is much more different than the previous poster suggests. The values of areas and conflict resolution methods are different. Razzia also supports more players. I'm not sure which game I prefer ... owning both simplifies the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert .
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
locusshifter wrote:
Other than art and bits, there are no differences.

This is incorrect, these games are *VERY* different in several important areas.. Enough to make Razzia a much better game in my opinion. The areas where they differ are;

1) Conflict resolution is much better in Razzia, and adds a negotiation element to the game that is quite fun. Haggling is a pretty interactive and sweet aspect of Razzia that is all but missing from PP. Even more interesting is the haggling when 3 people or more fight over the same club. The highest card person can make "Offers" to the other two, if one accepts, he takes the money offered and runs, but if one disagrees, then it sets up a duel between the last two. So sometimes it is best to just agree, and get out of town. ;-)

2) Distribution of money is more thoughtful than cube distribution in Pick Picknic because the person distributing the money can "Seed" a bar of his choice after each club is filled. For example if you are distributing, and have STRONG plays in the red club, you can slap a 50K stack of cash on that and seed your next play. This is quite important, and exciting, and often creates more conflict. In PP, you just refill the cubes.

3) Police cards are MUCH better than the foxes in PP. For example if 2 police officers raid the same club, they can "Haggle" over how to split the loot AFTER they run off the gangsters. In PP if a fox is played, he "Eats" the bird, and takes it into his winnings, usually this amounts to very little. In Razzia if a cop raids a club players played at, then the cop runs off the crooks, and takes *ALL* of the money, which is VERY lucrative and interesting.

4) Razzia supports up to 8 players, and is a pretty awesome party game for everyone of all ages. PP only supports 6 players.

5) Theme, Razzia has a much better theme in my opinion, and much less of a "Kid" game, but still very fun for kids to play. What kid doesn't like cops and robbers? My boys eat it up.

6) We find money in Razzia better than cubes.. My wife thinks the cubes in PP are fiddly and annoying, but REALLY loves the little cardboard cash in Razzia. Stacking it infront of her in piles, and shuffling them around.

My summary is, Razzia is a *MUCH* better game than Pick Pickic. I have only owned Razzia for a few weeks, ordered directly from Germany, sealed brand new. What a great purchase for us, we love it! I can't believe nobody has reprinted Razzia, it leaves PP in the dust imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert .
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Speaking of this, i'm almost ready to do a review of Razzia, and will specifically compare it to Pick Picknic, but i've already shown my hand on that. Which is I think Razzia is a *WAY* better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.