Popular Tags: bsw [+] [View All]
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently wrote some web pages showing how to play Power Grid on BSW.

Check it out here (http://www.preeminent.org/steve/games/bswDemo/) and give me feedback if you like it or think something should be improved.

- Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm wondering if I posted this link in the wrong place. I'm surprised by the lack of traffic the article is getting. If I can believe the statistics, the article has seen 0 views.

I probably should find those posts somewhere here on BGG about how to use BSW and add mine to the thread.

- Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played my first game last night. Overall, your summary is pretty good. One thing, tho, that I don't think was mentioned was that who's turn and what the current action is is shown on the upper left. It is also another reason to move the windows because they cover it up.

Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Smith
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Very helpful. I plan on trying out BSW soon and your walkthrough was excellent. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Albritton
United States
Tupelo
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a list of gamers that would be willing to teach games or help with BSW in general, is in order. When you get online, you can do a /whereis (name) command in the text box. If that person is online, you can talk directly to them by doing a /tell (name) (message).

After you gain some rank (play some games!), you can put the names you want on a "watchlist". The program gives you a sounder when this person logs on and tells you if they are already on at the time you log on.

The command for that is /add watch (name). Then be sure and /save.

I am willing to help out any fellow BBGer when I am online.

Mordachai started a BGG channel, but I'm not sure it's still active. Jesper, are you reading this? If so, reply and link to your article.

Kubigaruma (BSW name)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just published an update to my instructions. Mostly, I included a table that quicky identifies when Step 2 and Game Ending conditions are met for the current number of players.

- Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering how your BSW screen is in English. My screen is always in German and I can't figure out how to change it. Is there something specific I can do?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbmite wrote:
I'm wondering how your BSW screen is in English. My screen is always in German and I can't figure out how to change it. Is there something specific I can do?

Thanks

Sure.

In the folder where you have your application you should find a file named "Brettspielwelt.prop". Edit that file as follows:

Find the line that has this

Nation =en

and ensure it has "en" for English. Save the file an re-launch.

Have fun,

- Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
fastfingers wrote:
dbmite wrote:

Thanks

Sure.

In the folder where you have your application you should find a file named "Brettspielwelt.prop". Edit that file as follows:

Find the line that has this

Nation =en

and ensure it has "en" for English. Save the file an re-launch.

Have fun,

- Steve

That will work if you're using the client.

If you are logging in from the web page (http://www.brettspielwelt.de/), make sure you click on the UK flag to change the page to English. Then, when you enter, it will set the defaults to English.

Also, in a pinch, typing: /language en, will convert some things to English. That will work either in the client or the java app.

http://www.brettspielwelt.info/ for information on downloading the client. Select "download" You can also launch the Java App from there as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the Instructions, they're great! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
arkibet wrote:
As for the Instructions, they're great! thumbsup

Thanks.

I haven't used the web client in a long time and prefer the stand alone client. Last I checked, the web site didn't work in Mac OS X's Safari web browser, and that's my tool of choice.

I've been thinking of doing a walkthtough on some of my other favorite games in BSW.

- Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doobermite
United States
Chester County
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. It worked!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bourrillion
United States
Mountain View
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fastfingers wrote:
I recently wrote some web pages showing how to play Power Grid on BSW.

Check it out here (http://www.preeminent.org/steve/games/bswDemo/) and give me feedback if you like it or think something should be improved.

- Steve

This is unbelievably outstanding. Please, please do more! Very well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just downloaded the BSW client this week - I'll be sure and edit the appropriate file so that the language is English.

My concern with BSW is with how players there might treat people who need a few games to figure out the user interface (UI). People who insist on a "speedball" approach might not take too kindly to someone slowing up the game because they don't move fast enough to suit them. The language barrier only adds to that. I would hope that those games would be labeled as "fast" so I'd know to avoid them until I get the hang of the UI.

I had that problem the first time I tried playing Ticket to Ride Europe online - my opponent put me on a strict five second per turn clock!! I never could figure out (until I played a subsequent solo game) how to plant those stations.

Yes, I intend to find a list of important German phrases handy, so that I can use them when needed (I remember seeing such a list when I first checked out BSW some months ago).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Before you join the game, say "I'm a newbie, would you mind showing me the ropes" or something like that. This will allow you to avoid jerks who insist on 5 second turns.

And when someone is rude and pushes you to play faster, tell them "I'm sorry, but I can't move that quickly." What's the worst they can do, drop out of the game? Who made them the time limit police?

There are plenty of nice people on BSW along with a few bad apples, just like everywhere. Take a bit of time to find the nice ones and you'll have a good experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.