Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nate ben-porat
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Designing games is a hard thing to do. When you first start doing it you may get frustrated and annoyed, if you think about designing games just know: you need patient. I myself never published a game I admit right now. If that interrupt you may laugh at me and stop reading the review. I have designing game six years now and most of them my friends and family love. Lately I have been thinking on publishing new games that I have designed. This review or thread, however you would like to call it, is to help you to design game. If you already designing games and published some you may enjoy looking how I design games and it might give your few thoughts.

The process of making game has few phases in it. At the end you may simply sigh and say “well I made it! I made a game!” and you will enjoy, believe me. Well it won’t happen if we won’t have a start, base which we will build our game on it.

The first phase is to get an original idea. No one wants to play new Axis & Allies or Carcassonne with castles instead of cities. Your idea for the game needs to be original and interesting. Usually if I’ll sit and try to find an idea for a game I won’t get one. I’ll stare in the floor burning my brain but nothing comes. Mostly ideas just pop in my head while I’m doing thinking about something else. One of my best card game I made was formed in my mind after one of my friend said “change 30 to…”. Usually if I’m not in school I’m in home or party ( ). On school I can simply write my ideas in notebook, in home in the computer (I have now more then 10 Word documents on ideas that pop on my head.) and in parties… well I usually don’t thing about those things so…. You should be able to write your ideas at anytime or you’ll forget them.

After you got a spark of an idea start developing it. Add rules, put ideas all ideas you have even if they say different things like: “at start players get 3 gold” And then you write “players get 5 gold”. Right everything down unorganized, simply, that later when you think you got enough ideas you could look on all of them and delete what you don’t want. After that you should have basic rules.

Now it’s testing time! Ask family, friends everyone that wants and play with them. Hear what they say. Take what they are saying seriously, sometimes you, yourself find problems in them game. Fix them and test again. Fix again. Test again. Ask who you play with to tell the truth. If you feel that the game is simply not good after testing few and a few times maybe the idea isn’t that good as you thought, but not always. Sometimes it’s hard to find the problem, you need to know board games and play them a lot to feel what games are good and what less. Sometimes I like in order to get better to find what I don’t like in other board games and try to find a solutions . I find it greatly help me later to fix my games. I think this is the hardest part on developing games.

Well after so much testing you should feel you like that game and that your testers think its good. Write the rules down and ask someone who hadn’t played the game yet if he understands how the game works. Usually I can’t do that because I ask everyone I know to test my game first . This is less a problem though. Just be sure you wrote everything in it place and ask some of the friends already played if it’s clear.

When you playing the game don’t be afraid to use other games’ bits, it’s good for testing. Sometimes though, you need to make new bits yourself. At start don’t worry about that too much. Later on when you want to do last test you should now think about the art. You can download pictures from web or draw some when you play with testers.

After all this done you may look at the game and smile. Well done! Even if you decide to publish it and no one wants to publish it (happens ) you made game that you and your friends like. Don’t always care about publishing. I make lot’s of card games that can’t be published, still me and my friends can have a hour of happiness when playing them .

I hope it helped you making games, I’ll be glad to hear comments!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MinGu Lee
South Korea
flag msg tools
I think this is a good review about Designing.

Maybe you're right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MinGu Lee
South Korea
flag msg tools
ª I don't know what you're sayin'...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.