7 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – HWK-290 Expansion Pack» Forums » General

Subject: HWK-290 Scale rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lkb57 Anor

Utah
msg tools
Is it just me, or does the HWK-290 look a little on the small side? I've never played the video games it was in, so I'm just going off info I've found online, but wookieepedia says the HWK-290 should be 29 meters long, which is almost double the length of the Y-wing (16 m) . . . and the model definitely doesn't look that big. Anybody know how big the Hawk actually is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Impeachment time
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG consulted with LucasFilms. They said the official length is 16.5 meters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Billings
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scale nothing, I want to know how you're able to *see* out the darn thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I've been playing the original Dark Forces again recently. I'd say it looks about right. I think it might actually be smaller in the first video game. Hard to tell since it's 1993 technology

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek D.
Germany
Münster
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwalker wrote:
Scale nothing, I want to know how you're able to *see* out the darn thing.

It's been a while, but if my memory serves me right, there was a cutscene in 'Jedi Knight II' (the video-game) where you could see they were using their sensors for flying, and had a projection of their outside in front of them on a screen or in form of a hologram, something like that.

As a sidenote, while I think a dogfighter might benefit from a canopy made of glass (or something similar, strong & transparent), it won't be a necessity at all if there's sufficient sensor technology available.

The distances and speeds of dogfights in space will make sensors a lot more valuable than being able to actually see your opponent.
Just think of modern-day air combat, or even better, submarines (no windows at all)!
Even commercial airliners aren't visual flight dependent.
Kinda hard to assume space fighters should be, don't you think?

(Of course, WW II-like dogfights in space are a lot more thrilling than, say, crimson tide in space...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbGKdmDgsh0

At about the 1:33 mark that shows the Moldy Crow docked to the bottom entry point of a Nebulon B. It doesn't look much longer than the width of the connecting hull. Comparing it to the Falcon at the end of ESB, docked to the same port, it seems dramatically smaller - about 1/3 or so the size of the Falcon, maybe 1/2 at most. At 6:30 or so there's a scene with Kyle and Jan standing next to the Crow, and it looks very similar in size to an X-wing.

Looking at the actual source material, I'd have to say that it seems like they got this one right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Bey
United States
Brooklyn Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the youtube link. It's nice to see the Moldy Crow in action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls