Popular Tags: [View All]
Robin LeBon
Brazil
Porto Alegre
RS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
when crossing rivers, you must roll twice to see whether you get lost or not.
the first roll (on the "cross river" line at r207) represents the crossing itself; if you get lost you stay where you are and don't need to check event.
if you don't get lost, you managed to cross the river, so next step is to check for getting lost again, but this time at the terrain line matching the hex you are leaving.
if you don't get lost, the movement is successful and you reach the next hex, checking for event as you enter it.
if you get lost, you stay on the former hex, but it counts as you have crossed the river, but you must check for event as if you have entered the next hex (event e002 may still occur afterwards).
tomorrow, you roll only once leave the hex (as you have actually crossed the river today).
hope this helps...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Misato Katsuragi
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks for the clarification. I have been confused by this as well. The ruls about river crossing do kind of contradict themselve. I think the rules on this weren't made very clear when this game was made.

What to do when crossing a river could have been made a little less coniluting too I think. According to the original rules, you have to make three getting lost checks when crossing a river. Once when leaving a hex, another check using the 'cross river' line on the travel table, and another check when entering the new hex, yet under the getting lost rules when not crossing a river, they say that you only check for lost in the hex you are leaving.

I don't see why you would have check for getting lost three times when crossing a river, but this is how the rules read.

This raises the question:
"Why do you check for getting lost when enetering new hex when crossing river when you don't do that any other time you enter a new hex. Keep in mind, this isn't even counting the check on the 'cross river' line itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Leach
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why are there event lists for a river crossing when if you are lost you don't check for events and if you cross you just check for an event on the hex you entered?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steam Arath
msg tools
I always found the rules regarding river crossings rather confusing, hard to follow and illogical aesthetically. Especially where you point out:

Quote:
but get lost entering the hex on the other side, you end up in your initial hex, but you are "across the river."

If my map token is placed on one side of the river or the other , it IS on that side of the river or the other, DAMMIT.

Quote:
It would seem more logical to me to first check getting lost in the terrain that you are trying to leave (if that succeeds), then check for getting lost crossing the river (and a possible river event whether or not either lost check fails), then you are "over the river" so you check for a possible event in the hex you are trying to enter (but you ignore this if you were lost at the river crossing).

Yes...And in my own game have re-written that and played it like this:

R204e Crossing a River
Crossing the river mounted or on foot is an all day affair, If you are at the point you are using the Travel Table, crossing the river is a daily action. Even if mounted this represents making difficult arrangements to get your horses across.
a) Locate a possible suitable spot to cross the river by not getting lost. Check the terrain type you are currently in. If you get Lost, as usual, check for a Travel Event.
b) if you find the river, roll two dice and consult the River Crossing Table below.

River Crossing Table*
2, 3, 4: Cross river unless event prevents it, see Cross River r207
5, 6, 7: Cross river safely, all further travel ends. Check for travel event in hex entered (do not check for lost, you are already across, place your map token accordingly).
8, 9, 10, 11, 12: Cannot fine a place to cross, no materials to build a raft, no place to swim for ford and no bridges in sight. All further travel ends. Check for a travel event in this hex. Since you are already at the river, tomorrow you may try again by immediately consulting this table. Prepare for supper and have another go at it in the morning.
* if a guide is present subtract from the dice roll their bonuses

Quote:
My only guess as to why this wasn't done is that it makes it quite difficult to get across the Tragoth River at the start of the game

Hmmmm…
Maybe rewrite the rule
8, 9, 10, 11, 12: Cannot fine a place to cross, no materials to build a raft, no place to swim for ford and no bridges in sight. Check for a travel event in this hex. You may again have another go at it today if mounted and have mounts and another move left (nixes difficulty about crossing with horses etc but sticks with game intent of moving faster with mounts). Else you may continue to search for another suitable river crossing location in the morning starting with the Lost check in section “a)” above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
SteamBoard wrote:
I always found the rules regarding river crossings rather confusing, hard to follow and illogical aesthetically.

If my map token is placed on one side of the river or the other , it IS on that side of the river or the other, DAMMIT.

I agree that the rules could be much better.

I think it helps if you don't view the river as flowing exactly along the hexside edges. The river kind of meanders ALONG the hexside, sometimes on one side of the hex, sometimes on the other.

So, you can cross the river but be in your same hex.

(I know, it's a stretch )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steam Arath
msg tools
Quote:
I think it helps if you don't view the river as flowing exactly along the hexside edges. The river kind of meanders ALONG the hexside, sometimes on one side of the hex, sometimes on the other.

One good thing about this game you can change it to suit your needs and tastes without learning how to program or write script code like Morrowind or Skyrim

Its good however, to know the rules and if in doubt, ask. The answers are often helpful especially were it can be discerned as to what /why the designer wrote it that way and what for(yet no one knows for sure short of an interview with the designer ).

What is really helpful is someone created the rules and events in Word so I can go and change things then print them out easily and add them into an easily organized notebook (thank you David Bate).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
SteamBoard wrote:

What is really helpful is someone created the rules and events in Word so I can go and change things then print them out easily and add them into an easily organized notebook (thank you David Bate).

Yes, I combined the two Word documents into one and then created internal hyperlinks - makes it easy to navigate on screen when you can't be caught don't have access to paper copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kight
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading through this - am I correct with this interpretation of the river crossing rules?

Roll to see if you get lost crossing the river.
If lost, done for the day - no river crossing event.

If not lost, roll for river crossing event.
If event does not prevent you from crossing river, roll for getting lost entering new hex. Otherwise, done for the day.

If lost entering new hex, consider yourself across the river but roll for event of hex wishing to move into. Done for the day.

If not lost entering new hex, move token to new hex and roll for event for the this hex. Done for the day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.