Subject: 50% off on Warhammer and several Fantisy Flight Games! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ali Hassan
United States
Fairfield
California
flag msg tools
Check out your local Barns and Nobel book stores, as they are now liquidating many of their seasonal stock of board games. Many games were 50% off at the Fairfield CA store. I assume its a nation wide clearance sale but I'm not sure. Anyway, I thought it was amazing to see Warhammer stuff going for $15 dollars and under and i thought I'd let all the faithful know about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
NONE of the BaN stores in my neck of the woods (Puget Sound region, north of Seattle) sell any of the cool Eurostyle games. It's all chess and checkers and trivia! cry

You lucky so and so. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So what else did you see besides warhammer? Any specific titles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:

At my BN, they had Doom, TI3, War of the Ring, Game of Thrones, Return of the Heroes, and a few Silver Line games, along with the Warhammer stuff.

I'm going to check mine out at lunch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've seen Colossal Arena, Citadels, Senator, and Game of Thrones in B&N.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mangler103 wrote:
robartin wrote:

At my BN, they had Doom, TI3, War of the Ring, Game of Thrones, Return of the Heroes, and a few Silver Line games, along with the Warhammer stuff.

I'm going to check mine out at lunch.

Quoting myself, there doesn't appear to be a 50% off sale on FFG games at my BN. There was a rack of 50% off titles, but they were all stuff like "Coca-Cola Checkers". I might check back after work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

$30 for War of the Ring? Wow! And all that for $120. Amazing.
Nothing like that up here in Canada. Canada has nothing for board game shops.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
houjix wrote:
Yeah, no kidding. It's a shame they didn't have World of Warcraft or Descent. I passed on Colossal Arena and War of the Ring since I already have them (and couldn't justify buying backups), but I did pick up a backup copy of A Game of Thrones. I called my relatives and they're all checking their local B&N for me today.

Do you mind telling us where your BN is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone seen a flyer or anything that I could bring in to show employees? At mine Twilight Imperium is a worthless 20% off and Citadels is the only one at 50% off. I'd like to pick up Game of Thrones at 50% off, but it didn't have the sticker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The inconsistency of these wretched chains drives me nuts. I can't for the life of me figure out why their marketing MBA types are so limited in imagination that they conclude certain stock will sell in one place but not another.

Not only this, but there seems to be a woeful lack of coordination in clearance strategies.

Lucky finds for those who caught 'em. To all, "Good luck and good hunting."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Barry Kendall wrote:
The inconsistency of these wretched chains drives me nuts. I can't for the life of me figure out why their marketing MBA types are so limited in imagination that they conclude certain stock will sell in one place but not another.

Its done on a by location basis. Sometimes they match up. Sometimes they don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
If I had written this post, it would have been titled, "50% off on Star Wars Trivial Pursuit and a bunch of other wretched crap!"

They did have some poker sets for 50% off, but $20 was still a bit much for me to pay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Hunsucker
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rescind my earlier comment. My BN DOES have the sale going. They had a separate table in the back with a ton of games on it. The regular games upfront weren't marked, but some duplicate titles were on this table.

I got TI3, War of the Ring, and Clone Wars Risk for <$90.

If they aren't in the normal boardgame section, look around. I got lucky and an employee was marking down War of the ring just as I walked in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine had nothing but crap like CSI and trivia games on sale. No sign of any decent games even at list price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Vailliencourt
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got back from B&N...

Colossal Arena - 8.97
Mutiny - 8.97
Game of Thrones - 22.47
War of the Ring - 26.97

50% + B&N Member card for an addtional 10% off.

I also saw Twilight Imperium, Doom, Warcraft + Expansion, a few Munchkin games, and some other FFG games.

thanks for the great post!

~V

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Rompot
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Coralville, IA (booming metropolis, I know...) has Risk: Clone Wars but that is about it. A tin edition of Cranium as well. No FFG or Warhammer. Drats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went and brought Games of Thrones up to the customer service desk and asked them to check it despite the lack of a sticker and it rung up as 50% off so I grabbed it.

Now what I'd like to know from those who have bought Twilight Imperium, did it ring up at 50% off? It had a sticker of 20%, which just doesn't cut it, but 50% is worthy as a second copy to add more players to the game. I would have asked but there was a pile of people around the service desk at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Re: 50% off on Warhammer and several Fantasy Flight Games!
Barry Kendall wrote:

Maybe because stock does sell in one place but not another. I used to work in a game store chain with seven stores in the greater SF/Bay Area, and the stock varied widely from store to store. In downtown SF, we had plenty of customers spending big bucks on expensive chess sets; at the mall location, we moved the $30 sets and had a couple of nice sets just for show. There's usually plenty of data driving these marketing decisions -- you just don't see it because you don't work there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yegods
United States
Campbell
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they had some of this stuff at my local B&N, and some left when i got through if anyone would like me to try and score some items for them tonight, contact me. first come first serve. you'll have to pay for shipping and handling.

they had all the main games left: TI3, GoT, RotH, Doom...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just checked out the B&N store in the University Village mall in Seattle , and it had an OK selection. I bought the Warcraft BG, and Expansion (I remembered looking into the game, and people said it was only worthwhile with the exp.). To wit:

Senator, Mutiny, Colossal Arena, and one copy each of Doom, TI3 and the Warcraft BG expansion from FFG. No WotR. IU thought about getting TI3, by my friends were just talking about this last night, and they already have copies, and don't want to play them anymore. I thought about DOOM, but I already have plenty of dungeon crawls/minis games (HeroQuest/Scape, Mutant Chronicles, Hybrid, etc.).

They also had various flavors of Munchkin (Super, Bites, Regular), and two or three copies of Return of the Heroes- almost grabbed one, but I decided I'll just get the expansions for Runebound 2nd instead. They also had a few sets of Warhammer 40k figures, Space Marines and Tyrannid, IIRC.

All of this was marked at 50% off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just stopped at my local BN (Robinson, PA - next to Pittsburgh Airport, Pittsburgh, PA, that is, home of the soon to be Superbowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers...sorry 'bout getting off track!) and found Game of Thrones 50% off and snatched it up (last copy)! They also had several Star Wars - Clone Wars Risk at 50% off, but I already have it. The other 50% off games were scrap. They did have several copies of Age of Mythology, but these were at full price. As a big fan of the Game of Thrones series of books, and a big multi-player wargame fan, I was pumped to get the game for only $24!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Man, amazing sale. 60% off with my B&N card.

Just went in... it had all the games mentioned above - unluckily I already have many of them! It was almost tempting to get doubles - I mean, War of the Ring for $27? Citadels for $8? GoT for $20? But I didn't do that. I did, however, get TI3, Doom, Warcraft, and Colossal Arena, for the whopping total of... $78 + tax. Wowza. I don't even LIKE TI3, but for $36, I got it anyway. At that price it's worth a second try (if I can find anyone to play it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Reiners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anybody know if this sale is going on in NYC? And how long its going on for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Mine had nothing but crap like CSI and trivia games on sale. No sign of any decent games even at list price.

Yeah, same here. There was a sale going on, but on "selected items", ie, garbage. Some good stuff around, but none of it had the stickers. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
quixotic wrote:
I just checked out the B&N store in the University Village mall in Seattle , and it had an OK selection.

Senator, Mutiny, Colossal Arena, and one copy each of Doom, TI3 and the Warcraft BG expansion from FFG. No WotR.

Update:
No more TI3 or Colossal Arena. Only saw 1 Warcraft expansion.

Still lots of Senator and Mutiny though! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.