Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I may want to pick this up, but I want to mitigate the luck I've heard this expansion adds. If each player stacked their evolutions pre-game, alternating permanent and temporary evolutions (no shuffling), would this mitigate the luck a bit?

Also, do evolutions tend to replace buying powers, or do you tend to still buy powers because energy accumulates over time and hearts don't?

Thanks,
Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thematic Colors of Gaming Blog
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
just play with the variant were you draw 2, pick 1 and discard the other. and no they don't replace buying cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that we buy cards less. Why save up energy on purpose when yo can kill 2 birds with one stone ( heal 3 and get a card) . Usually people get cards by rolling energy by accident on their third roll. I play with the expansion about half the time since I really like that each monster now is their own creature but it does change the way people approach the game play and I'm not 100% it makes the game better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:
I may want to pick this up, but I want to mitigate the luck I've heard this expansion adds. If each player stacked their evolutions pre-game, alternating permanent and temporary evolutions (no shuffling), would this mitigate the luck a bit?

Also, do evolutions tend to replace buying powers, or do you tend to still buy powers because energy accumulates over time and hearts don't?

Thanks,
Lee
Hang on... In a game that's all about rolling a lot of dice and drawing cards, you want to mitigate some luck?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
[q="hudarklord"]Hang on... In a game that's all about rolling a lot of dice and drawing cards, you want to mitigate some luck?

Isn't the base game about buying cards and not just randomly flipping a free power over?

Two video reviews strongly cautioned that not all the evolutions were balanced, so you randomly drawing your best power vs. me drawing my worst power drains balance out of the game.

Which is the reason I'm not sure whether to get this.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
they are no more or less balanced than the cards you buy IMO. this is not a game about balance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
they are no more or less balanced than the cards you buy IMO. this is not a game about balance.

What I have heard is that each character has some great permanent powers and some of the temp powers are meh. So if I randomly draw my worst two cards and you draw your best two it sucks all thinking out of the game.

Is this not true?

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess that could happen, but you only pick one. Not to hard to evolve again, not likely you will only draw 4 temp powers.

All I know is I personally wouldn't play the game without it, it's very fun to make every monster unique.

hudarklord wrote:
SeerMagic wrote:

What I have heard is that each character has some great permanent powers and some of the temp powers are meh. So if I randomly draw my worst two cards and you draw your best two it sucks all thinking out of the game.

Is this not true?

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In a nutshell, Lee, you're over thinking it.

KoT is not a thinky game.

It's a roll dice, have fun, maybe buy some cards, or get an evolution or two, die or win, game.

And (more often than not) it's really short, so it doesn't matter if you're out first - by the time you've gone and made a pot of Tea for everyone, the game will have finished and you can (hopefully) wreak some revenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Valentine
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
In a nutshell, Lee, you're over thinking it.

I can't over think it as I've never even played. Two reviews of this product were critical about it adding even more luck to an already luck-heavy game. If that's correct and it can't be mitigated then I probably won't buy the expansion with the base game. If the luck can be mitigated then I may buy the expansion. I'm just asking questions in response to two different video reviews.

I don't need to spend $20.00 to make a somewhat random game super random, if that's truly what the expansion does.

Lee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hudarklord wrote:

I don't need to spend $20.00 to make a somewhat random game super random, if that's truly what the expansion does.

The point is that it's already very random.

All the expansion does is change the flavour of the randomness.

It doesn't really make it any more, or less, random, it just makes it differently random.

I own the base game and the expansion, and I like playing both with and without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are still over thinking it :)

You don't need to migrate the luck in the game, it's luck heavy and getting the expansion doesn't really change that any. Drawing evolutions is just like the rest of the game... someone can get just as lucky with cards you buy or with a roll
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeerMagic wrote:
All I know is I personally wouldn't play the game without it, it's very fun to make every monster unique.

Same here, I love the expansion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sadakuun Blackheart
United States
Santa Rosa
flag msg tools
mbmb
Somewhere i seen this post on a Super Smash Bros Brawl Forum. Random can be good **nod nod nod** that's my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.