Hunting Party» Forums » General

Subject: Ranger Overpowered Druid Underpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Mosqueda
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
It seems to me after having played around 15-20 times that the Ranger as a hero is very overpowered. You can go to the market every time and equip items that you need for free. Generally you can hunt with the ranger and one other party member maybe 2 maximizing your shares and rake in the cash. The ranger is also one of the few characters who given the right circumstances (The prophecy is ranged) can kill the shadow by himself.

On the flip side the druid seems very under powered as a hero. In certain situations he could be very powerful but generally he is just weak. His abilities are really sub par certainly so when you consider the fact that he does not even have a fighting skill.

We have taken to letting people select 2 characters at the start of a game and picking one as their hero. No one ever picks the druid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Christenson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
You have a good point about the Ranger. He is very powerful. However, I think that you are wrong about the Druid. Potions are one of the most powerful tools in the game, and the Druid gives you great access to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mosqueda
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Ok I'm with you on the druid he can do some pretty nifty things. The ranger and to a slightly lesser extent the shapeshifter seem to be the most power characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Christenson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
I could also make an arguement for the Summoner being overpowered. To balance her out, we should have made her summon ability only available during a hunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mosqueda
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
The summoner is my favorite character since she is another one that for free can possibly hunt by herself. Though only the Shapeshifter and the Ranger can kill the shadow by themselves thus giving you all the shares. 40g is FTW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Saumer
United States
White Bear Township
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dalos wrote:
It seems to me after having played around 15-20 times that the Ranger as a hero is very overpowered. You can go to the market every time and equip items that you need for free. Generally you can hunt with the ranger and one other party member maybe 2 maximizing your shares and rake in the cash. The ranger is also one of the few characters who given the right circumstances (The prophecy is ranged) can kill the shadow by himself.

The Ranger's normal ability is "Receive 1 gold each time the Ranger receives equipment". If the Ranger is your Hero he cannot receive any Market Cards, so isn't his ability actually quite useless as a Hero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Christenson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Actually, the Ranger is the only Hero who can equip items. It says so on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'mthinking the Druid is one of the most powerful characters.

Go shopping and get a couple potions. Use his ability to keep looking through stacks until eventually finding the Druid's potion (and locating other critical potions).

Once youve done that, you can use the Druid's potion and pay 2 gold to keep it, to go get any potion you want. Then use that potion.

Every turn pay 2 gold to do any of:

Take another turn
Stack a monster deck
Kill a hunter
Add a share to a hunter
Remove a share from a female hunter
Destroy an Item
Steal a male hunter
etc.

As long as you can get a party capable of generating any money, its broken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.